Modern design and styling?

Open

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert

Modern design and styling?

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 am

Has anyone else noticed how it seems design and styling has gone out the door in these times? Some items that used to have eye appeal have been trashed, why? I don't have time to give examples right now.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert

Re: Modern design and styling?

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 am
Has anyone else noticed how it seems design and styling has gone out the door in these times? Some items that used to have eye appeal have been trashed, why? I don't have time to give examples right now.
One example is all the roof lines on all the new cars nowadays, they all look like a prius or VW beetle. The Camaro and Challenger are such a breath of fresh air, even Mercedes can't style anymore the SLS gullwing was the last of the good looking MB's.
Then even things like chain saws, its like styling regresses in some items. In the good old days they tried to make things appeal to the eye, what happened?

hoodeng

Post by hoodeng » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:07 am

The designers got younger,that's what happened .... The stuff that appeals to the younger people today is not my cup of tea that's for sure. I have kept my old 07 Wide Glide, as the 08 was the last of the bob guard type.There is a bit of a rush on the last Dyna S at the moment due to the latest offerings.

Cheers.

ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:30 am
One example is all the roof lines on all the new cars nowadays, they all look like a prius or VW beetle.
That's to reduce aerodynamic drag for better fuel mileage. The optimum shape from the point of largest cross sectional area back is for the roof to gradually slope down and the sides to slowly pinch in, so it mimics the rear portion of an airplane wing from the sides and from above. The max csa is usually put even with the driver, and from there to the front is only about half as important as the rear shape so you still see lots of variance in the front, but from max csa back most cars are converging on the same shape. Even my 2005 GMC 2500HD pickup truck has the bed taper so it is 3 or 4" narrower at the tailgate than right behind the cab. Naturally there are an infinite number of thickness-to-length ratios for a wing, with the lowest drag shapes usually the least practical for a vehicle shape so you still get some variation in the slope and taper angles, but that's the general shape we're stuck with from now on, sigh. Boring, just like NASCAR :lol: .