Guru
Guru

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by Dave Koehler » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm
So funny how can some one be in a business trying to sell a product or a service, and then want potential customers banned from a trade show? I don't get it. Just because someone is not running a business it does not mean they don't have a pocket or bank full of money. And besides why is this thread here, it is more of a general question deal not an engine tech deal?
I don't care how much money you have ... IF you are a normal RETAIL customer; you simply don't belong there.
AGreed
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
So funny how can some one be in a business trying to sell a product or a service, and then want potential customers banned from a trade show? I don't get it. Just because someone is not running a business it does not mean they don't have a pocket or bank full of money. And besides why is this thread here, it is more of a general question deal not an engine tech deal?
I don't care how much money you have ... IF you are a normal RETAIL customer; you simply don't belong there.
AGreed
Define "normal"? :D

The problem is, the new products that are displayed have it appears a significant lag time before the "normal" retail customer gets wind of them. They are the real target. I observe this because when i mention stuff on the internet to the "normals" that is really new and trick, all I hear is crickets. A year later when the magazines finally get it installed in a project car and published, the internet buzz starts. A year? has been wasted. If there are only a select few who have discovered the new product at a show, they are either competitors of the product, sell a competing brand, don't know about it or don't care, or are racers who want to keep the new trick item a relative secret and for themselves. Holley Hydramat is a typical example. Reducing foot traffic at show, as meritorious as that appears, may have un intended consequences. And when the economy sucked, the attitudes were different.

engineguyBill
Expert
Expert

Post by engineguyBill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm

The manufacturers who display at the Show depend on sales of large quantities of product to their target customers throughout the year. This is why they spend most of their time and effort talking to the larger customers who will distribute product to THEIR customers. Selling an intake manifold to a guy for his winter project is not the reason that manufacturers display at the show.
One exception would be the major equipment sold at Machinery Row, as these manufacturers are looking to sell major equipment in small quantities BUT they also are there to develop relationships with larger shops who will likely be upgrading their equipment at some time in the future.
Bill

SAE Member (28+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
- Theodore Roosevelt

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 am

This discussion reminds me of a truism in the advertising industry. "Half of all advertising is a waste. No one can predict which half." Same with those walking down the aisles at PRI.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am

engineguyBill wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm
The manufacturers who display at the Show depend on sales of large quantities of product to their target customers throughout the year.

I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs? they market/promote next to nothing in the grand scale. They do meet customer demand in large quantities, they do not create demand.. If you are focusing on engine builders, are they customers of "large quantities" on a say, a specific cam/item? That's a legit question. Companies like Moser/Wilwood/Butler/etc seem to me need the wide exposure for their products.

It seems to me that in order to reduce trade show congestion, by understandably reducing what has been referred to as the "sticker crowd", it is is bordering on throwing the baby out with the bath water. A new product, especially by a new and upcoming entrepreneur/inventor, needs all the buzz they can muster. The current big retail customers do not generate that.

A circle the wagons, us vs the "outsiders" clique will not serve the industry well, but it would calm the shows down. I think that can be done other ways.

Thread should have stayed in engine, since they seem to be the one's voicing the most concern. I suspect there are even more "stickers" here.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 am

j-c-c wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am
engineguyBill wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm
The manufacturers who display at the Show depend on sales of large quantities of product to their target customers throughout the year.

I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs? they market/promote next to nothing in the grand scale. They do meet customer demand in large quantities, they do not create demand.. If you are focusing on engine builders, are they customers of "large quantities" on a say, a specific cam/item? That's a legit question. Companies like Moser/Wilwood/Butler/etc seem to me need the wide exposure for their products.

It seems to me that in order to reduce trade show congestion, by understandably reducing what has been referred to as the "sticker crowd", it is is bordering on throwing the baby out with the bath water. A new product, especially by a new and upcoming entrepreneur/inventor, needs all the buzz they can muster. The current big retail customers do not generate that.

A circle the wagons, us vs the "outsiders" clique will not serve the industry well, but it would calm the shows down. I think that can be done other ways.

Thread should have stayed in engine, since they seem to be the one's voicing the most concern. I suspect there are even more "stickers" here.
In a group with two 11 & 13 year old children, a woman with a baby strapped in a back-pack and the guy wearing a well used racing type cap having gruff hands; who is the customer ...? It does not take much to identify him from the others.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
If you were in the business, you would understand.
I had multiple "end-users" come up to me, to try and get a deal, so they could by-pass their engine builder, to save a few dollars. Those professional engine builders rely on those modest mark-ups on the parts to make a living. PRI is not for the retail "end-users" to save a few bucks, and undercut the professionals in the industry.
I had one "end-user" that did it right. He asked me asked if I could help with his application, we went over it, and figured I could help. He never asked about price, and said he would have his engine builder call me, to order the cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
(704)489-2449

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am
I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs?
It's very simple.
PRI is for professionals in the racing/performance industry.
Anyone who makes a living off of the racing/performance industry.
The retail "end users" are not the target audience at PRI, and cause more problems, then they're worth.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad being just a mere hobbyist and attending the PRI show.

Randy

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am

randy331 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm
Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad being just a mere hobbyist and attending the PRI show.

Randy
Well, it's pretty simple. You go to the PRI website, and read the FAQ's.

Can anybody attend?
It's trade only, so you must prove you own, manage or represent a racing business or professional race team. Race fans are not admitted.

If that's not you, you shouldn't have gone.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs
Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm

CamKing wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am
randy331 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Randy
Well, it's pretty simple. You go to the PRI website, and read the FAQ's.

Can anybody attend?
It's trade only, so you must prove you own, manage or represent a racing business or professional race team. Race fans are not admitted.

If that's not you, you shouldn't have gone.
It also has a 16 year old age minimum which definitely is not enforced at all ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

How about the guys pulling wagons and little cart thingy's?
(for their catalogs?)

That always po'd me.
They acted like the whole isle was theirs.

:x
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Funny, no one I talked to at pri seemed to mind me being a hobbyist. If I wanted to try a product they were selling, they gladly handed a business card to me, and so far seemed glad to take my money and send parts/tools.

I'd not have a booth there if the hobbyists are such a bother.

Randy

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Randy,
Since you admit your status as an end user can you tell us how you got in?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm
Randy,
Since you admit your status as an end user can you tell us how you got in?
Be careful, you might get the same answer Clive Owen gave in the movie "The Inside Man", "right thru the front door". :D