Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by j-c-c »

engineguyBill wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm The manufacturers who display at the Show depend on sales of large quantities of product to their target customers throughout the year.

I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs? they market/promote next to nothing in the grand scale. They do meet customer demand in large quantities, they do not create demand.. If you are focusing on engine builders, are they customers of "large quantities" on a say, a specific cam/item? That's a legit question. Companies like Moser/Wilwood/Butler/etc seem to me need the wide exposure for their products.

It seems to me that in order to reduce trade show congestion, by understandably reducing what has been referred to as the "sticker crowd", it is is bordering on throwing the baby out with the bath water. A new product, especially by a new and upcoming entrepreneur/inventor, needs all the buzz they can muster. The current big retail customers do not generate that.

A circle the wagons, us vs the "outsiders" clique will not serve the industry well, but it would calm the shows down. I think that can be done other ways.

Thread should have stayed in engine, since they seem to be the one's voicing the most concern. I suspect there are even more "stickers" here.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

j-c-c wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am
engineguyBill wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm The manufacturers who display at the Show depend on sales of large quantities of product to their target customers throughout the year.

I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs? they market/promote next to nothing in the grand scale. They do meet customer demand in large quantities, they do not create demand.. If you are focusing on engine builders, are they customers of "large quantities" on a say, a specific cam/item? That's a legit question. Companies like Moser/Wilwood/Butler/etc seem to me need the wide exposure for their products.

It seems to me that in order to reduce trade show congestion, by understandably reducing what has been referred to as the "sticker crowd", it is is bordering on throwing the baby out with the bath water. A new product, especially by a new and upcoming entrepreneur/inventor, needs all the buzz they can muster. The current big retail customers do not generate that.

A circle the wagons, us vs the "outsiders" clique will not serve the industry well, but it would calm the shows down. I think that can be done other ways.

Thread should have stayed in engine, since they seem to be the one's voicing the most concern. I suspect there are even more "stickers" here.
In a group with two 11 & 13 year old children, a woman with a baby strapped in a back-pack and the guy wearing a well used racing type cap having gruff hands; who is the customer ...? It does not take much to identify him from the others.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

exhaustgases wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm So funny how can some one be in a business trying to sell a product or a service, and then want potential customers banned from a trade show? I don't get it. Just because someone is not running a business it does not mean they don't have a pocket or bank full of money. And besides why is this thread here, it is more of a general question deal not an engine tech deal?
If you were in the business, you would understand.
I had multiple "end-users" come up to me, to try and get a deal, so they could by-pass their engine builder, to save a few dollars. Those professional engine builders rely on those modest mark-ups on the parts to make a living. PRI is not for the retail "end-users" to save a few bucks, and undercut the professionals in the industry.
I had one "end-user" that did it right. He asked me asked if I could help with his application, we went over it, and figured I could help. He never asked about price, and said he would have his engine builder call me, to order the cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

j-c-c wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am I hear you, but not sure who exactly the "target customers" you are referring to. Summit/jegs?
It's very simple.
PRI is for professionals in the racing/performance industry.
Anyone who makes a living off of the racing/performance industry.
The retail "end users" are not the target audience at PRI, and cause more problems, then they're worth.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad being just a mere hobbyist and attending the PRI show.

Randy
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad being just a mere hobbyist and attending the PRI show.

Randy
Well, it's pretty simple. You go to the PRI website, and read the FAQ's.

Can anybody attend?
It's trade only, so you must prove you own, manage or represent a racing business or professional race team. Race fans are not admitted.

If that's not you, you shouldn't have gone.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

CamKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am
randy331 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad being just a mere hobbyist and attending the PRI show.

Randy
Well, it's pretty simple. You go to the PRI website, and read the FAQ's.

Can anybody attend?
It's trade only, so you must prove you own, manage or represent a racing business or professional race team. Race fans are not admitted.

If that's not you, you shouldn't have gone.
It also has a 16 year old age minimum which definitely is not enforced at all ...
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

How about the guys pulling wagons and little cart thingy's?
(for their catalogs?)

That always po'd me.
They acted like the whole isle was theirs.

:x
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Funny, no one I talked to at pri seemed to mind me being a hobbyist. If I wanted to try a product they were selling, they gladly handed a business card to me, and so far seemed glad to take my money and send parts/tools.

I'd not have a booth there if the hobbyists are such a bother.

Randy
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Randy,
Since you admit your status as an end user can you tell us how you got in?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm Randy,
Be careful, you might get the same answer Clive Owen gave in the movie "The Inside Man", "right thru the front door". :D
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

There is a difference between hobbyist and end user.

I have 6 engines in my shop now and at least 2 more wanting to bring them. I don't have use for that many engines.

But, for me, it is just a hobby.

Randy
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

randy331 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I have 6 engines in my shop now and at least 2 more wanting to bring them. I don't have use for that many engines.

Randy
Well, then you are in the TRADE. Really though, the only difference by definition between a professional and a talented amateur hobbyest is that the pro gets paid.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Randy
Are you going to sell any of those engines?
If so, you are in the racing/performance industry.
There's no requirement, saying you have to be full time.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 pm Funny, no one I talked to at pri seemed to mind me being a hobbyist. If I wanted to try a product they were selling, they gladly handed a business card to me, and so far seemed glad to take my money and send parts/tools.
I was nice, polite, and helpful to everyone that came by my booth. It's called, being professional.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449