Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by CamKing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm This show was conceived and came into its very existence as a common place for racing EXHIBITORS to be able to show their wares to those within the same industry so, all within that industry would be aware of what is available and where to get it.

THEY should be allowed and did make the original rules, (not the attendees), about who and from what venues were allowed to attend their show.
As happens with most good things ... these shows have become an industry unto themselves and things like attendee requirements change throughout time.
Problem is, the attendee requirements PRI posts on their website haven't changed, they just don't enforce them. They know the exhibitors are getting fed-up with it, but they like to be able to advertise the large number of attendees. Last year, after the show, they sent all exhibitors a letter, proposing that to fix the issue with all the non-racing/performance people at the show, they were going to start charging $25 to attend. This is what you get from SEMA running PRI. They did the same thing with SEMA, they let everyone in, and then when the exhibitors get upset, their answer is to charge to get it. I think SEMA is $50 now. Multiply that by the 100,000 plus attendees.
They're going to do the same thing with PRI. Cause an issue, by not enforcing their own rules, then make a ton of money, "fixing" the problem they caused.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CamKing wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm This show was conceived and came into its very existence as a common place for racing EXHIBITORS to be able to show their wares to those within the same industry so, all within that industry would be aware of what is available and where to get it.

THEY should be allowed and did make the original rules, (not the attendees), about who and from what venues were allowed to attend their show.
As happens with most good things ... these shows have become an industry unto themselves and things like attendee requirements change throughout time.
Problem is, the attendee requirements PRI posts on their website haven't changed, they just don't enforce them. They know the exhibitors are getting fed-up with it, but they like to be able to advertise the large number of attendees. Last year, after the show, they sent all exhibitors a letter, proposing that to fix the issue with all the non-racing/performance people at the show, they were going to start charging $25 to attend. This is what you get from SEMA running PRI. They did the same thing with SEMA, they let everyone in, and then when the exhibitors get upset, their answer is to charge to get it. I think SEMA is $50 now. Multiply that by the 100,000 plus attendees.
They're going to do the same thing with PRI. Cause an issue, by not enforcing their own rules, then make a ton of money, "fixing" the problem they caused.
Or make even more by charging but not restricting. :)

This is the nature of governing bodies, create or allow a problem until enough people complain and then capitalize on the solution for the problem you created.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

The only way that they would be able to restrict attendance by charging would be to charge each attendee $100 or $500. This would reduce some of the tire-kickers and decal snatchers.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the more attendees the more they can charge the vendors because they can say look at the number of people that are there to view your products. just like advertising rates in magazine depends on the subscriptions and the more they higher the rates. that is why you can subscribe to "hot rod magazine" for $7.50/ year. I bet the postage cost that much
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

As a PRI vendor for many years I will offer this, "you only get one chance to make a first impression" Vendors need to at least acknowledge the possibility that they could be snubbing a potential customer, and of course, many attendees are just using up your time and I have no problem with moving on to someone else if I have determined after 10 minutes max that they are indeed a slug.
Consider this though; A 16 year old kid went to the leading Chrysler engine builder in the world and wanted info on a hemi that would be 11:1 to be run with either injectors or blown for two classes of tractor pulling......they ran him off so he came over to Arias. I sent him up to Steve Montrelli at the engine shop. Steve took the kid to the engine shop, piston shop and the machine shop. Kid goes back to Wisconsin whereupon Dad order a complete motor, two months later Dad orders two more blown motors. The following year Dad picks up a beer sponsorship and orders 4 more, and of course rebuilds later on. So my point is to be careful but scrutinize as quickly as possible. The problem is the 16 year old kid could be standing BEHIND the time-waster. Have a great show everybody.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

you never know by looks who is a good customer. one guy who sponsored a race car always looked like a bum. I was with him one day when we stopped to took at a MB car at the dealership. this was before price stickers and he asked the salesmen how much. the salesmen said more that you could afford sir. after he did tell him the price the guy I was with pulled out a roll and counted it and said you are right I am $300 short and we walked out with the salesmen following us into the parking lot. :D
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

DCal wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:03 pm So my point is to be careful but scrutinize as quickly as possible. The problem is the 16 year old kid could be standing BEHIND the time-waster.
That's always the issue.
This will be my 29th PRI show.
I try to answer everyone's questions and give them the attention they deserve, and still scan the faces of the people waiting, so when I see someone growing impatient, I can say "excuse me for a second", and ask the guy waiting, if he has a quick question I can answer.
It's the most mentally taxing part of my job.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

pamotorman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:24 pm you never know by looks who is a good customer.
The two richest people I've ever met(1 is a billionaire), look like they bought their clothes from the clearance rack at walmart.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Made it, wear a coat! Not in Florida anymore. Brrr.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

:mrgreen:

Coat?

Usually heavy coat, gloves, snow boots.

:)

Actually that will probably be tomorrow or next day.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Was looking forward to going, even got my stuff in the mail, ready to go.

One man shop and I've got orders to fill.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I'll be walking the show this year. Probably see some of you guys - hide from others. :)
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'll be the old fat guy at Mike Jones booth begging for sponsorship for my bomber car...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Krooser wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm I'll be the old fat guy at Mike Jones booth begging for sponsorship for my bomber car...
Tip to get extra attention, get your wardrobe from Walmart, and don't mention your Miata while you are standing in line. :D
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

j-c-c wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm
Krooser wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm I'll be the old fat guy at Mike Jones booth begging for sponsorship for my bomber car...
Tip to get extra attention, get your wardrobe from Walmart, and don't mention your Miata while you are standing in line. :D
Sold my Miata two years ago...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019