Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Something different here - choosing a motorcycle

Post by pdq67 »

Does any of the motorcycle makers sell something like a Honda, "Rebel", but with a 400/450 to 650 engine on it?

I would really like to have just a street cruiser that I can sit flat footed on is all. Something that I could run to St. Louis or KCMO or farther.

Don't want a, "Hog"!!!

pdq67
Last edited by speedtalk on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Generic title
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Something different here.

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Yes, lots of them. They are called cruisers. Honda makes/made a twin similar to the rebel, I think a 400 CC. Suzuki makes/made a 650 single. There are all sorts of smaller V-Twins 500-750 CC. Just go on craigslist and plenty will be there and reasonable in price. If your looking for somthing affordable, one way to to search is to set your maximum price, say $1200.

Then internet search the models that look intersting. Almost every bike has been reviewed at some point.

The rebel 250 is one of the best beginner bikes though. There value seems to stay level. You could ride one for a season and get your money back when it's time for a bigger bike.

Hopefully you have low traffic, country roads to ride on. City riding sucks and is dangerous IMO.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Re: Something different here.

Post by ZIGGY »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:23 am City riding sucks and is dangerous IMO.
X2 X2 X2. It ain't you, it's them...
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Something different here - choosing a motorcycle

I had a quick look on St Louis Craigslist and was surprised that motorcycles are considerably more expensive than in the Northeast!
Search in the northeast and you find lots of nice bikes for under $2k, especially this time of year when people want to sell instead of storing them for the winter. For $2k in St Louis I see a lot of junk!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
ingram

Post by ingram »

Here is a Harley-Davidson to check out. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Mo ... t-500.html
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs
www.camprofiledesigns.com
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

In the northeast, you can buy an used 883 Harley Sportster for as little as $1500, and a 1200 Sportster for $2500 and up. Honda Rebels for $1200 or less.
Big twin Harley's, $4000 and up. Esp this time of year.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

That sounds extremely low for any sort of Harley, at least by local prices...

That said, I've put a few miles on an 883 Sportster and found it to be quite rideable, in a laid-back sort of way. Gas mileage was also excellent, which was important considering the small tank. Most of the shaking and carrying on fades into the background once it's rolling.

I'd think the main problem would be finding one someone hadn't "customized" until it wasn't rideable any more.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again..

Does Yamaha still sell the 650 XS Special II, vertical twin, chrome fender el-cheapo model?

I dearly loved my 400 model, but it was a tad short of legs going 400 or 500 miles across the country on the interstates is all. Sure, I ran it from South Bend, IN to Columbia, MO but it was, panting!!

pdq67
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:35 pm Back again..

Does Yamaha still sell the 650 XS Special II, vertical twin, chrome fender el-cheapo model?

I dearly loved my 400 model, but it was a tad short of legs going 400 or 500 miles across the country on the interstates is all. Sure, I ran it from South Bend, IN to Columbia, MO but it was, panting!!

pdq67

No, but they still sell the SR400 (basically a SR500 with a destroked crank and fuel injection).
-Bob
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

There are a few good used XS650's for sale. I prefer the standard over the custom.

Unfortunately, these bikes became very popular for modding to "choppers and bobbers" there aren't that many unmolested ones any more.

They might be the best 650 twin that the British never built...LOL

Good running and very reliable, but they still are an inline twin that can make your body numb and tingly after an hour of riding.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re:

dwilliams wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:20 pm That sounds extremely low for any sort of Harley, at least by local prices...

That said, I've put a few miles on an 883 Sportster and found it to be quite rideable, in a laid-back sort of way. Gas mileage was also excellent, which was important considering the small tank. Most of the shaking and carrying on fades into the background once it's rolling.

I'd think the main problem would be finding one someone hadn't "customized" until it wasn't rideable any more.
Take a look a Craigslist in the northeast, you will find some very good deals this time of year.

883's are fun for solo riding, however the 1200 Sportster has much more power, acceleration (fun) and muscle, and much better for two up riding or keeping up with big twins.

For those that can work on bikes, it's very easy to make an 883 to a 1200/1250. $500 in parts and your elbow grease (labor)

I've been riding for only 47 years now. I've owned and or ridden about every make of bike I could find in the USA, and pretty much liked them all in their own way.

I find I like V-twins about the best, Harley and Moto Guzzi being my favorites that have an animal feel that seems to be tuned to my liking. Another bike I like a lot is the honda ST1100 V4 sport tourer. A complete contrast, but cool, handles great and quick for what it is.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Not sure what you mean by flat footed, but if I was in the market for a street cruiser I'd go for a Kawasaki W800 or a W650. But I have a soft spot for Kawi's
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

miniv8 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm Not sure what you mean by flat footed, but if I was in the market for a street cruiser I'd go for a Kawasaki W800 or a W650. But I have a soft spot for Kawi's
I believe by "flat footed" the OP means low enough seat height that he can sit on the seat and have both feet flat on the ground.

Do the they still sell the W650? They are rare in the USA. My friend has one (650cc twin with bevel cam drive) it's a nice fun bike.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Well the W's sure have the classic look and I love the cam drive on the engines. They run a pinion shaft to the head from the crank.
They are quite rare here in Iceland, and somehow didn't catch on in the market, to each his own I guess. Could be worth something in the long run.
If I find one reasonably priced, I'll grab it.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

exhaustgases wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm Here is the cycle for you.

https://www.bosshoss.com/
That seat looks low enough to put both feet flat on the ground. :mrgreen: Plus I bet he has some SBC parts lying around for any repairs. :D