Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Open

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
6 cylinder puller
Pro
Pro
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Western PA

Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by 6 cylinder puller » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Okay looking at buying a 3/8s battery powered impact gun I know snap on is pretty awesome but so is the 500 price tag , if there any other recommendations that you guys use ?

PackardV8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5542
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by PackardV8 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Many of the guys over on Garage Journal like the Milwaukee M18 Fuel series.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

randy331
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: N.W. MO.

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by randy331 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 am

PackardV8 wrote:Many of the guys over on Garage Journal like the Milwaukee M18 Fuel series.
The Milwaukee fuel stuff is mean stuff. Got 1/2" impact, a Sawzall, and 2 drill/drivers all in the 18 volt fuel series, with 4 amp hour batteries.
Good stuff so far.

Randy

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5444
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:19 am
Location: MA

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by Keith Morganstein » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm

6 cylinder puller wrote:Okay looking at buying a 3/8s battery powered impact gun I know snap on is pretty awesome but so is the 500 price tag , if there any other recommendations that you guys use ?
I have the Milwaukee 3/8 impact and several other of their M18 cordless tools. I've been using them hard for three years and am happy with them. Also good is the 5 year warranty. I did burn out the drill (using it hard) they replaced it with a new one. Snap-on has a good 3/8's everyone seems to like it, but I don't think snap-on gives anything close to that warranty.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o

jed
Expert
Expert
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by jed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 pm

I have a 3/8 Mikita for over 10 years it has about 40/45 lb of torque with a fresh charged battery when tightening.
It will loosen a bolt/nut torqued to 70lb. It has been well used and has held up well.
Mikita also makes one that will torque to about 70lb.

User avatar
af2
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6359
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA :Northern Foothills

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by af2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm

GURU is only a name.
Adam

mitch
Expert
Expert
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by mitch » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 am

af2 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm
HMMMMM.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 805035001/
Snap on charges a premium for their battery stuff so maybe they saved some of that money

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 am

Re: Best 3/8 battery impact gun

Post by midnightbluS10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 am

jed wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 pm
I have a 3/8 Mikita for over 10 years it has about 40/45 lb of torque with a fresh charged battery when tightening.
It will loosen a bolt/nut torqued to 70lb. It has been well used and has held up well.
Mikita also makes one that will torque to about 70lb.
Doesn't seem like it'd be very useful. Especially when the avg air-operated 3/8 impact puts out 350+ ft. lbs and the avg cordless runs 250+ ft lbs. Maybe it's time for a new one?
JC - Precision Guesswork & Expert Up Arrow Manipulation

Post Reply