Hurricane Disaster Services

Open

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Hurricane Disaster Services

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 am

With the storm passing and rescue work soon to be winding down, it's time to think about the next step, ie, the rebuilding process.

I've always been one to look into the financial statements of organizations that I donate to making sure to put my money where it does the most good and NOT in some fund administrators pocket.

Enter the Mennonite Disaster Services that I've donated to many times and have done so again with this hurricane. FYI, the Mennonite faith is an offshoot of the Amish and these people are craftsmen of the hightest degree, which is what will be needed in Texas very shortly.

Here's a link to their website so you can do some research on them and maybe help by donating with them also.

https://www.mds.mennonite.net/
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

woody b
Expert
Expert

Re: Hurricane Disaster Services

Post by woody b » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:43 pm

I think if possible it's good to look locally if you want to help. Both for someone to help, and for someone, or an organization who's helping. IE, if there's a tornado is Kansas, but a family down the street just lost their house to a fire, help the people down the street. The other way if you want to help with Hurricane Harvey relief look for someone locally who has a relief effort. A local truck company (owned by a friend of mine) is sending a truck filled with supplies to Texas. The company is donating the use of the truck, the fuel and the drivers time. I took some stuff and put it on the truck. I believe doing things this way insures the best "bang for the buck" with donations. "Administration costs" are real with many organizations (and probably inflated by some). Donating products, or in the case of my friend, the use of a truck and driver gets more help to the victims, with less money spent in other areas.

I'm not saying the organization Ken listed is bad. I'm sure they're great, with little or no donations going to "administration costs". Ken does his homework.

The reason for the need for help with an event like Hurricane Harvey is due to the widespread area affected. I'm sure help is needed, and any help given will be appreciated.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Re: Hurricane Disaster Services

Post by Ken0069 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 pm

The Red Cross ain't it!

Red Cross Exec Doesn't Know What Portion Of Donations Go To Harvey Relief
August 30, 20179:14 PM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Richard Gonzales

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -to-harvey
Editor's note on Sept. 1: Some listeners and readers have asked why NPR pressed Red Cross operations and logistics executive Brad Kieserman about how much of the money his organization receives will actually be spent on helping those affected by Hurricane Harvey. NPR's questions were follow-ups to several years of reporting by NPR and ProPublica about shortcomings in the organization's disaster relief operations and misleading claims about its finances. NPR has asked several times in recent years to speak with Red Cross President and CEO Gail J. McGovern. Those requests have been turned down. Prior to this latest interview, NPR asked again. The organization said McGovern was unavailable, but did make Kieserman available.

As Americans are opening their wallets and donating to relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, one of the most prominent charities is the American Red Cross.

But donors might be surprised to learn the Red Cross doesn't make clear what percentage of their dollars will go directly to helping the victims of the storm.

Dating back to 2014, NPR and Pro Publica have reported that the Red Cross misstated how donor dollars are spent.

A study released by Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, concluded that the Red Cross had spent $124 million — one-quarter of the money donors gave for earthquake relief in Haiti in 2010 — on internal expenses.
Ken wrote:In case you don't realize it people, that "one-quarter" number is actually 25%! Which is a RIPOFF!
In an interview with Morning Edition host Ailsa Chang, Red Cross executive Brad Kieserman was asked about reports that the charity has unusually high administrative costs.

"We are committed, I am committed, my team is committed to using our resources and donor dollars in a way that best helps the people of Texas," said Kieserman, vice president of disaster operations and logistics.

Kieserman said that as of Wednesday morning the Red Cross had spent $50 million on Harvey relief, mainly on 232 shelters for 66,000 people.

Chang: Through donations, how much of every dollar goes to relief?

Kieserman: Yeah, I don't think I know the answer to that any better than the chief fundraiser knows how many, how much it costs to put a volunteer downrange for a week and how many emergency response vehicles I have on the road today. So I think if he was on this interview and you were asking how many relief vehicles in Texas, I don't think he'd know the answer and I don't know the answer to the financial question I'm afraid.

You can read the entire article AT THIS LINK!
So I said all that to say this, PEOPLE, ALWAYS CHECK THE ADMINISTRATIVE COSTS OF ANY CHARITY YOU DONATE MONEY TO AND 5% IS WHAT'S CONSIDERED GOOD!!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!