Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Hurricane Harvey

Post by enigma57 »

We are North of Houston and West of Spring. Doing well here. No property damage so far. Next door neighbour had a large limb break off one of his trees but it fell without damaging anything else.

Storm made landfall at Rockport near Corpus Christi (about 200 miles South of here) with sustained winds of 135 MPH and gusts about 50 MPH above that and is now inland, but still drawing moisture and energy off the Gulf and those outer (feeder) bands are what we are getting rain and tornadoes from up here. The storm has now turned North and the center is close to San Antonio, about 200 miles to our West......

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-ra ... mated?MR=1

Meteorologist on Channel 2 says the storm is supposed to double back on its present track towards Victoria in a day or so and after it is about halfway back to the coast, it will turn due North. Very strange. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

So far, we have had about 10" of rain at our place. We are expecting the rain here to continue through Tuesday with the outer bands tracking through here dropping about 10" of rain per day over the next couple of days. We will likely exceed the 2nd 10" amount this evening, as there is an outer band of very heavy rain with tornadoes tracking through here and rain was reported as falling at 3.3" in 30 minutes time (I don't know why they don't just say 6.6" per hour.)

Other areas around Houston have had up to 16" of rain so far. Much more rain in and around the area closer to the center of the storm, of course.

Thing is...... This is day 2 of a 5 - day rain event for us even though we are nearly 200 miles from the center of the storm at present. Likely will receive between 40" and 50" of rain over these 5 days. Harris County Flood Control District says most rivers, creeks, bayous and streams in our area will reach flood stage and spill over their banks by tomorrow. Some are predicted to crest from 5 ft. to 12 ft. above flood stage. This is because in addition to high rates of rainfall in our area here, the storm has traveled inland and all the water that falls upstream will have to flow downstream though our area on its way to the Gulf of Mexico ultimately.

Our family's best wishes to all affected by this storm.

Best regards,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Very strange. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one."

Not so strange when you control HAARP!!

IMHO................

And don't get started on the, "TFH", crap because our Gov. admitted HAARP was designed for weather control!

And weather control is under our Military!

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:-k Sorry...... I don't understand a lot of the abbreviations you use, pdq. What is "THF"? As for HAARP, I have heard the term but I seriously doubt mankind can control the regional weather short term any more than we can either cause or control the naturally occurring changes in our planet's climate long term. That's G-d's and nature's thing. Way above my pay scale. I just live here. :D

All the best,

Harry
Last edited by enigma57 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

I just checked with my sons and their families. They don't have any water in your homes, but it was pretty close to getting into my eldest son's home down in the Clear Lake area early this morning just after midnight. They have had more rain there (31" so far) than we have had up here near Spring.

Saw on TV this afternoon some footage from a rescue boat. They were going down the Gulf Freeway at the intersection with FM 518 near Friendswood where one of my sons lives. Water was over 4 ft. deep up on the highway there. You could just barely see the tops of some cars and water was halfway up the cabs of drowned out 18-wheelers.

We have had 20 inches of rain here at our place over the past 48 hours. Weather guys project 2 or 3 more days of rain with possible totals of 12" to 20" over that time frame. Not as bad as we have had so far, so we should be OK so long as rivers, bayous and creeks that are overflowing their banks upstream do not flood us.

Cypress Creek at the bridge across Stuebner Airline Rd. near here is 8 ft. over top of banks and 2 ft. above the official 100-year flood elevation. Our home is 8 ft. above 100-year flood elevation so we have 6 ft. of freeboard there. I think it will be OK but all the rain that has fallen upstream will be flowing downstream through here on its way to the Gulf of Mexico, so the rivers, bayous and creeks will likely rise even farther out of their banks before this is over.

Army Corps of Engineers will begin releasing water from behind the dams at Addicks and Barker Reservoirs to keep the dams from breaking and that water will go into Buffalo Bayou, which is already out of its banks......

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/how-ad ... ey-9740819

Just heard that Bayshore Hospital in Pasadena and Ben Taub Hospital at the Houston Medical Center are being evacuated due to flooding.

Channel 11 TV studios flooded and they are broadcasting through a host station in Dallas now.

Here is an animated link to satellite weather radar......

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-ra ... o/animated

Up at the top on the right side where it says 'Search Locations', you can type in your zip code and get a 10 day weather forecast.

Best regards to all,

Harry
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Be safe Harry, and good luck/blessings to you and your family.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:hello2: Many thanks for your well wishes and kind sentiments, In-Tech!

G-d bless,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I'm sorry Harry, I goofed, it's not THF, it's, "TFH" --- Tin Foil Hat!

My bad.

And be safe around all the water.

Years and years ago, I saw the results of say 8.5" and then the next year almost to the week, 9.5" of water in Moberly, MO.

My F-I-L was a RR Engineer working the night shift setting up trains in the switching yard and he said that the water was as high as the tops of the tracks!

My M-I-L called and needed me to come across town to plug her basement drain and sink and toilet up because he was working because water was coming in. I slowly went through town hitting all the high streets all while pushing water with my bumper. One underpass had like 3 cars in the bottom of it.

Nothing like down in Houston and the surrounding areas, but still a lot of water.

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D Thanks, pdq! I understand what you mean now.

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

We are North of Houston and West of Spring. Still raining non-stop here. Wife and I ventured out this afternoon to check on her Mom. She will be 91 in September. She is very independent. Lives in her own home with her dog. Her home is on the North side of Cypress Creek and the bridges over Cypress Creek within several miles of our home are flooded and impassable.

We were able to find a way there by a rather circuitous route over to SH 249 and once up on the elevated freeway, we had to stay up there and exit at Spring - Cypress Rd. on the North side of Cypress Creek, as the highway entrances and exits South of there are under water and impassable. Harris County Sheriff's Dept. has patrol cars blocking exits and entrances in those areas.

We saw extensive flooding, stalled and flooded cars and rescue boats making their way along the flooded feeder road below us taking stranded drivers to high ground.

When we made it to the first exit that wasn't flooded, we made our way down off the elevated highway and through some back roads we knew about that were a higher relative elevation and finally arrived at Cheryl's Mom's home in Spring. Ditches around there were full and lapping at edges of roadways, but her home is high and dry as is ours. We are truly blessed. Made our way back home and I managed to find a small gas station on a back road that still had some gas and topped off our tank.

Every major river, bayou and creek here are out of their banks in major flood stage. All highways are flooded in one place or another and in some places, so deep that even 18 wheelers are flooded out and stalled on the interstates.

Both intercontinental airports are closed to commercial air traffic. So nothing is moving through here...... Just limited movement in areas that are higher elevations but even they are surrounded are surrounded by the flooding.

Many private citizens are in their boats rescuing people who are flooded out of their homes or are stranded on the road. Gov. Abbot has activated the National Guard and they are now conducting rescues in boats and 5-ton military trucks.

Computers are a mystery to me. I have attached a file my wife made which has some photos she took today. Hope you can open it and view them. If you get it open, double click on each image to view. The smaller image is one she found online before we left for her Mom's. It is of the intersection at Cypresswood and Stuebner Airline next to the bridge over Cypress Creek there. This is the highest bridge close to our home and as you can see is under several feet of water. This is why we had to take such a circuitous route over the elevated portion of SH 249.

Best regards,

Harry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Another ol', "pdq67", story.

Years and years ago while working for AP Green Refractories, I had to make a trip to, I think, "Charlotte, NC", and as the Salesman and I were driving along on an old narrow Hwy bridge that had to have been 50 feet from the creek below it.

Anyway, he looked over at me and said can you imagine the water lapping the bottom of this bridge because one time it rained so hard and long up the valley that it flooded it completely.

I had to think about that for a bit, but I did remember reading in the news of a valley flooding so fast that the people vacationing in it could barely climb up the sides of the valley to escape the rushing water.

It might not have been Charlotte, but it was someplace over by there?

pdq67
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

How did I miss this thread? Anyways good to hear Harry that you are doing well under the circumstances. My wife has a friend in The Woodlands and she has not heard from her in 2-3 days. She lives by herself with a dog to keep her company. I just hope she is OK. People are losing everything. Not good.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks for your well wishes, Allen. We will keep your wife's friend in the Woodlands in our thoughts and in our prayers. With such widespread flooding, its possible that she is OK, but flooded in and without electric or phone service.

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Today's update...... Well, we have had around 40" of rain in our area over the past 5 days thus far. G-d has blessed us and we have no water in our home through this unprecedented storm. We had a few spells where we lost electric for short periods here, but for the most part we have had power and running water. Very unusual for us during a hurricane and we are most grateful for that, I can assure you. Many were less fortunate.

The storm made landfall 200 miles South of here and after going inland, swung North and the center went up around San Antonio 200 miles to our West. So we didn't have the hurricane force winds here in the Houston area. For us it has been a rain and flooding event for the most part.

After reaching the San Antonio area, the storm doubled back on its track and has now gone back out into the Gulf of Mexico and is moving to the East, away from us. Rains here at our home have stopped this afternoon and the sun is shining now for the first time in many days.

Flooding issues will continue for some while as the rain that fell upstream of us flows downstream through the already flooded areas and out to the Gulf of Mexico, ultimately. All rivers, bayous and creeks in the greater Houston area are out of their banks in major flood stage at present and it will be many days before these waters subside. Water rescues of people who are stranded in flooded areas continue here.

Curfew has been declared until further notice from 10:00 PM through 5:00 AM, effective this evening. Local law enforcement along with outside agencies that have come to help are now shifting their emphasis from rescue operations to making sure any robbers and looters are dealt with in the event private citizens do not deal with them first.

As an aside, I slipped and fell in the kitchen around 5:30 AM today. Drain for our freezer plugged up and put water on the floor when it automatically defrosted. I went in there for a drink of water without turning the light on before turning in and my cane slipped on the water and I went down hard on my right hip and elbow. Right shoulder is a bit sore as well, but it looks like nothing is broken so no harm done. Just wanted to remind all you older guys like myself who get around with the aid of a cane to be especially careful on wet or damp surfaces.

Best regards to all,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Has anybody bothered to find a site that show's Harvey's path?

I want to see when Harvey made land-fall, if Harvey came back out, circled around, made a couple of square turns, and went back in...

I have been on the site showing historical paths from early-on to the present for comparison, but have forgotten where it is at, my bad....

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »