What has happened to proper nomenclature

Open

Moderator: Team

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by joe 90 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 am

PackardV8 wrote: Some (neutral balance) are dampeners. Some with counterweights, are balancers; same with flywheels, flexplates, torque converters.
Yes.......

Some people don't even know that some engines are internally balanced while others are externally balanced.
Nor what the differences are.

No balance weight in it, it's not a balancer.
But it still damps the harmonics, as in the twisting of the crank.

Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

The “experts” don’t help. “Beg the question” is a term of art describing faulty logic. Commentators heard its use by the better educated and, not knowing its meaning, butchered its use.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Autocorrect on my phone creates more automistakes than autocorrections. :mrgreen:

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 pm

RevTheory wrote:I hear ya, woody. My grandma "fixes" corn for supper. "Ya'll member awallago when we fixed catfish?" My neighbor grows "d'madas" in her garden. My uncle just changed the ooooool in his Cummings and I ain't shittin' ya none now neither!

I grew up in S.E. New Mexico but was gone for 20+ years. Now that I've been back for a couple of years, I'm quite amazed.
English spoken in the southern USA might as well be a different language from English spoken in the UK where the language came from, and Canada and Australia each have their own variations.

I can generally understand the Queen's English, but Wales ... or the Isle of Man ... nope! And the further south I go in the USA (or the further into inner cities) the tougher it gets, until you get to either Florida or California.

"Colour" is spelled with a "u" in it. So is "labour". The last letter of the alphabet is pronounced "zed". One of the bills that comes in the mail is the "hydro" bill. A "loonie" is a dollar coin, a "toonie" is a two-dollar coin. We have "highways" not freeways. Hard to define "proper nomenclature" when stuff is called something different in two different places!

Found this ... https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~steffan/canadianisms.html

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Reminds me of Smokey and the Bandit-

"When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are."

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

LOL!

And here's a (kinda) scientific study of differences between Canadian, American, and Commonwealth English. https://geekdad.com/2013/12/55-canadianisms-1/

I know to call (what I call) the washroom, the "bathroom" when travelling in the USA to avoid funny looks, but some of these are surprising! The meaning of a "two-four" is universally understood in Canada ... you don't even have to specify what it is that you are speaking of.

To go out on the race track (for example), and "Give'er" ... everyone here knows what it means. Apparently, not Americans!

Item 40 in that study has been sanitized (and they mention this but don't give the real term). The real term that is used in place of "bugger" has four letters, the first one being F.

Question for the Americans. Do you know what a "double-double" is? All Canadians know what that is!
Last edited by Brian P on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:17 pm

This prompted some internet research. There's stuff we have that Americans don't even know what is!

You don't have butter tarts? Or Smarties? Or Nanaimo bars? (That one I suspected, given that Nanaimo is a city in Canada)

http://www.americansguide.ca/isms.html

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 am

Brian P wrote:LOL!

Question for the Americans. Do you know what a "double-double" is? All Canadians know what that is!
My "double - double" is two sugars and two creams in my coffee ... \:D/
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert

Post by exhaustgases » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 am

joe 90 wrote:
PackardV8 wrote: Some (neutral balance) are dampeners. Some with counterweights, are balancers; same with flywheels, flexplates, torque converters.
Yes.......

Some people don't even know that some engines are internally balanced while others are externally balanced.
Nor what the differences are.

No balance weight in it, it's not a balancer.
But it still damps the harmonics, as in the twisting of the crank.
I found this definition for Balance.
a condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.

And is what dampening is. To counter act or damp or absorb.

So the term fits.
Oh and there is a weight in all rubber bonded harmonic balancers it is the huge ring and would not balance the vibrations if it was not there.

emsvitil

Post by emsvitil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 am

Ed

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:27 pm

And what's with people calling them "Vortex" heads or "Eldebrock" manifolds? :evil:

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:50 pm

All I know is that my small black chevy with ported and polished heads and 3/4 race cam runs like a scolded dog... and you can't dino that!

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

GARY C wrote:All I know is that my small black chevy with ported and polished heads and 3/4 race cam runs like a scolded dog... and you can't dino that!
You must have "the proper amount of backpressure!" :D

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

exhaustgases wrote:Oh and there is a weight in all rubber bonded harmonic balancers it is the huge ring and would not balance the vibrations if it was not there.
As long as we're discussing correct terminology, that "huge ring" is usually called an inertia ring. It's usually neutral balanced and any external balance weight is most often found cast into the hub.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:42 pm

PackardV8 wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:Oh and there is a weight in all rubber bonded harmonic balancers it is the huge ring and would not balance the vibrations if it was not there.
As long as we're discussing correct terminology, that "huge ring" is usually called an inertia ring. It's usually neutral balanced and any external balance weight is most often found cast into the hub.
Not since the mid 70's has it been that way in the O.E.M. realm.
Aftermarket SFI is probably a different story.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.