What has happened to proper nomenclature

Open

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm

So lets see force is measured in what? And pressure is measured in what? USA stuff only not other units.

pressure
the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something
force
strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement

So according to the definitions the best one is pressure, since when measuring the spring, that is the definition that best applies.
So SPRING PRESSURE is the winner.

It is only FORCE when the engine is running.

Circlotron
Expert
Expert
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by Circlotron » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Up to x figure and beyond... :roll:

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6316
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by pdq67 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Please disregard, I got, "fubared", is all!!

pdq67

stealth
Expert
Expert
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by stealth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am

All of Europe consider our "American" pronunciation of aluminum to be barbaric...

Top 5 offensive pronunciations has to include calling NOS ....Naz.... this one just hurts at multiple levels
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

stealth
Expert
Expert
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by stealth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

stealth wrote:All of Europe consider our "American" pronunciation of aluminum to be barbaric...

Top 5 offensive pronunciations has to include calling NOS ....Naz.... this one just hurts at multiple levels

Not to mention the term "OIL Ring"....
EVERONE KNOWS it's proper name is...... peripheral abutment ring

http://www.google.sr/patents/US20130234400
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:30 pm

stealth wrote:
stealth wrote:All of Europe consider our "American" pronunciation of aluminum to be barbaric...

Top 5 offensive pronunciations has to include calling NOS ....Naz.... this one just hurts at multiple levels

Not to mention the term "OIL Ring"....
EVERONE KNOWS it's proper name is...... peripheral abutment ring

http://www.google.sr/patents/US20130234400
Oil control ring.........When used in regard to an internal combustion reciprocating engine.

Circlotron
Expert
Expert
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by Circlotron » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 am

I get annoyed when someone says a certain statement is a mute point instead of a moot point.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/moot

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by joe 90 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm
So lets see force is measured in what? And pressure is measured in what? USA stuff only not other units.

pressure
the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something
force
strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement

So according to the definitions the best one is pressure, since when measuring the spring, that is the definition that best applies.
So SPRING PRESSURE is the winner.

It is only FORCE when the engine is running.

What a load of bollocks.

Force is measured in pounds or newtons.
Pressure is force per unit area so pounds per square inch or newtons per square centimetre.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm

joe 90 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm
So lets see force is measured in what? And pressure is measured in what? USA stuff only not other units.

pressure
the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something
force
strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement

So according to the definitions the best one is pressure, since when measuring the spring, that is the definition that best applies.
So SPRING PRESSURE is the winner.

It is only FORCE when the engine is running.

What a load of bollocks.

Force is measured in pounds or newtons.
Pressure is force per unit area so pounds per square inch or newtons per square centimetre.
All my stuff is from dictionary. Maybe you should volunteer to rewrite them.
The definition says what it is. Not how or what ever the certain units of measure you wish to use to do so. Simple stuff, not rocket science.
So yeah its like bollocks to even post that.

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by joe 90 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Here you go.
I don't think you read it properly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure
............................................................................................................................................
Definition[edit]
Pressure is the amount of force applied perpendicular to the surface of an object per unit area.
............................................................................................................................................

On the subject of proper nomenclature, the "oversize " bearings thing seem to be catching on.

I guess that's what happens when kids get access to computers. Or maybe it's just people with Engrish as their third language?

GARY C
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by GARY C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

As it turns out nowomenclature anymore either! #-o

Websters printing presses must be running around the clock to keep up. :D

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3409
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by Walter R. Malik » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 am

joe 90 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

On the subject of proper nomenclature, the "oversize " bearings thing seem to be catching on.

I guess that's what happens when kids get access to computers. Or maybe it's just people with Engrish as their third language?
Although most bearing shells are UNDERSIZE there are those which ARE oversize; especially the O.D. of some.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:54 pm

joe 90 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm
Here you go.
I don't think you read it properly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure
............................................................................................................................................
Definition[edit]
Pressure is the amount of force applied perpendicular to the surface of an object per unit area.
............................................................................................................................................

On the subject of proper nomenclature, the "oversize " bearings thing seem to be catching on.

I guess that's what happens when kids get access to computers. Or maybe it's just people with Engrish as their third language?
Wikipedia is the hot talkers dictionary, where many know nothings can put what they "think" something is and call it gospel.
Here is a better source
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pressure

joe 90
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 am
Location: The land of the long white cloud

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by joe 90 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Quoted
.............................................................................

b :the force or thrust exerted over a surface divided by its area.
................................................................................
It says the same thing.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:48 am

the application of force to something by something else in direct contact with it :compression

I guess you missed it.

Post Reply