What Do You Like Or Dislike About Windowz 10?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: What Do You Like Or Dislike About Windowz 10?

Post by lefty o »

ive only had it about a month now, dont see what the big deal is. things are set up a bit differently, but nothing major.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Works just fine for me. A few things that are different from what I was used to but after a couple of days I settled right in.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hi All,

I haven't tried it. Can it find a parallel port for old programs that program via true IEEE parallel on an old laptop? Can it automatically find an onboard serial db9 and parallel db25 IEEE port and use that?

Those previous questions actually work on winxp. I have some programs that are basically DOS based and although win 3.1/95/98 work just fine, WinXP does not work properly with these programs(and yes I know all about compatibility mode).

This is a good topic Ken, I need to acquire a new iso HD for one of my older laptops that actually has a floppy, CD and usb drive as I want to dual boot it for win98 and XP. Maybe I should dual boot win98 and win10? It's soooooo hard to keep up with everything. Shoot, I just formatted one of my laptops to win7 as the holley sniper software said win 7,8 or 10 compatible and that is truly because I couldn't find a REAL WinUSB 32 bit for my xp machine that didn't have malware embedded. :( The sniper software tries to install a 64 bit WinUSB which of course fails.

Anyway Ken, If you happen to know any of this first hand, I would really like to know. I have looked till my eyes bleed(literally, I have CRVO in my left eye). Many years ago I felt the king of serial and parallel protocol along with when It all went awry and I didn't keep up :(

Thank You
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I know once they crammed 10 down my throat in the middle of the night, I lost 90% of the functionality from my HP all-in-one printer :evil:
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Oh, I just remembered another one, Ken. After my 10 installation, the dvd player no longer likes to play dvds. I have a dvd of an old dyno session that I used to pop in there when I was bored and it would just autoplay. Now it says that there's no program installed for the file and I need to fart around making associations in the Default Programs control panel.

I also had a Programs "button" down on the lower right of the task bar. I got another update one night and it disappeared. I also have a case of disappearing restore points.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I like it better than 7 and it's much better than 8. I find that it's the easiest of windows to find and move files. It seems good at things like extracting files too. Also good on plug and play. 10 never crashes on me either.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

It's tough to understand what's in all the windows updates. However, if you turn off updates, your system is vulnerable to all the hacks out there
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

They kept offering it to me for free but, I still kept my Windows 8.

I have my AUTOMATIC updates turned off however, it notifies me whenever those updates are there so, I can update when I am finished, at that time.

I only have ONE computer and a newer flip phone.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I don't have W10, but I use these guys:

Windows Secrets

They usually have good articles on 10 and also what updates to download/use.
(plus the other windoze versions)

I was waiting for most of the kinks to get worked out of 10.
Most seem to be better now.

But I'll use 8.1 for awhile more probably.

:)

Also agree with the people clicking on anything, the reason most problems happen.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com