MikeD
Volvo going Hybrid or Electric Only

Post by MikeD »

stealth
Guru
Guru
Re: Volvo going Hybrid or Electric Only

Post by stealth »

Remember the Galaxy 7 phone burning up for no reason...

multiply that battery issue by 1000...........

Oh and wait for the cost of battery disposal to sink in.......it's going to be fun ride... :D
vwchuck
Expert
Expert

Post by vwchuck »

The end of Volvo. Jumping on a fad.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

The same fools who think electric power is "cleaner" think solar power is also "cleaner". Neither is true. Both are economically stupid and very foul environmentally. You may think you've reduced your carbon footprint is less with electric it isn't. BTW carbon is a good thing.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

stealth wrote:Remember the Galaxy 7 phone burning up for no reason...

multiply that battery issue by 1000...........

Oh and wait for the cost of battery disposal to sink in.......it's going to be fun ride... :D
The batteries in electric cars are a non issue. Other than tesla I haven't seen widespread electric car battery fires for no reason. Probably helps that they are liquid cooled and highly monitored unlike a cell phone.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Volvo was "done" the moment it was bought by the Chinese. We're just waiting for the corpse to stop wiggling.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Schurkey wrote:Volvo was "done" the moment it was bought by the Chinese. We're just waiting for the corpse to stop wiggling.
Sad but true.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

statsystems wrote:The same fools who think electric power is "cleaner" think solar power is also "cleaner". Neither is true. Both are economically stupid and very foul environmentally. You may think you've reduced your carbon footprint is less with electric it isn't. BTW carbon is a good thing.
Geopolitically, it seems like most of the countries that have state sponsored terrorism are oil producing/dependent. So you would think, it would be in your best interest to use as little oil as possible, to keep money out of the hands of people who want to disrupt you and your way of life.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

peejay wrote:
statsystems wrote:The same fools who think electric power is "cleaner" think solar power is also "cleaner". Neither is true. Both are economically stupid and very foul environmentally. You may think you've reduced your carbon footprint is less with electric it isn't. BTW carbon is a good thing.
Geopolitically, it seems like most of the countries that have state sponsored terrorism are oil producing/dependent. So you would think, it would be in your best interest to use as little oil as possible, to keep money out of the hands of people who want to disrupt you and your way of life.

Not true. There is enough oil in North America to run the world at continued levels of growth for CENTURIES. Peak oil was a lie.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

We buy from the middle east because of greedy politicians...not because we don't have enough oil in the US...

But I agree.... stop buying ANYTHING from those animals over there...
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

statsystems wrote: There is enough oil in North America to run the world at continued levels of growth for CENTURIES. Peak oil was a lie.
I don't know about oil, but they used to say that about coal. No worries, they said. "There's enough coal for hundreds of years!"

Look what happened to burning coal! The politicians (using the EPA as a tool) have deliberately screwed the coal industry so that money can be funneled into the proper pockets.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Electric makes some sense in crowded cities.
I'm surprised Japan hasn't gone electric by now as they have no oil at all. Hence their WW2 world domination goals.

Battery disposal. Anyone read up on this?
Seems to me it might be the same issue as nuclear waste.
Can they be recycled?
How nasty is used up lithium?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

I think it's just a publicity stunt. A growing number of vehicles qualify as "hybrid" each year. I can't speak of the cost of manufacturing, or disposing hybrid batteries, but I see know way it's economically viable.......or even helpful to the environment. The only "free" energy from a hybrid vehicle is the energy captured during braking. That's not enough to offset the cost of the battery and associated stuff, over the life of the car. A "plug in " hybrid may save (the owner) some money, depending on electrical rates....and the possibility of "free" charging it somewhere other than their home.

Hybrid cars, like solar and wind power wouldn't exist without government subsidies.

FWIW, there's several large oil companies who don't import oil from the Middle East.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Hybrid cars, like solar and wind power wouldn't exist without government subsidies."

Let me fix this for you!

"Hybrid cars, like solar and wind power wouldn't exist without TAXPAYER subsidies."

pdq67
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

"Hybrid cars, like solar and wind power wouldn't exist without TAXPAYER subsidies."
Wouldn't this apply to the oil industry also?
(and probably coal)

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com