New Engine Contest 2018

Open

Moderator: Team

Gregory
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Charlotte

New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:43 pm

There will be a new engine contest, Race Engine Challenge, held in Charlotte on October 3, 4, 5, and 6th, 2018.
The contest will be held at Atlantic Business Center, 4913 Chastain Avenue, Charlotte, NC at a private dyno (Land and Sea Pro 2000) facility.
Media coverage will be by Engine Builder Magazine and Speedville.com. The web site should be up in a month.

Winning dollars and the "no Mickey Mouse" rules will be finalized and applications accepted by the time of the PRI show and acceptance notices will go
out by January 15th, 2018. This is an American iron contest: Chevy, Ford and Mopar.

Charlotte and this dyno facility has several advantages. Charlotte has a major airport with direct flights and is only a short distance from the facility.
The facility is also within a short wakling distance of a number of hotels and restaurants.

Our mission is to have a contest run by engine builders and for engine builders without any corporate suits getting in the middle.

Greg Finnican
Charlotte
704 408-7356

User avatar
John Wallace
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:20 am
Location: was Central Illinois - Now in Sunny Florida!
Contact:

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by John Wallace » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Cool!

Well except for this:
This is an American iron contest: Chevy, Ford and Mopar.
No Pontiac?

:D
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4863
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Cypress, California

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by 1989TransAm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

IMHO it should read GM and not just Chevy. Also all American motors should be able to participate such as AMC and Packard.

Gregory
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Charlotte

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

My mistake. I should have said GM.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3409
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Walter R. Malik » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Great ... in my opinion, competition of any kind can bring out the best from everyone.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

Gregory
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Charlotte

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm

As the mud slinging continues over at 2017 Engine Masters, things are moving forward for Race Engine Challenge 2018.
As I mentioned in my initial post, the web page should be up in a month.
This is your chance engine builders to post comments as to what you would like to see in the new contest as we finalize
the rules over the next several months.
Also, I welcome your phone calls.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte
704 408-7356

kid7755
Pro
Pro
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by kid7755 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Purpose built race heads/RR/Billet pieces/ Hemi heads on LS stuff would be awesome!!
I like the average style scoring technique still.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3409
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am

kid7755 wrote:Purpose built race heads/RR/Billet pieces/ Hemi heads on LS stuff would be awesome!!
I like the average style scoring technique still.
Personally, I think that scoring is kind-of redundant.

The sum of AVERAGE torque + PEAK horsepower would be my preference.
It has always been a question of sacrificing horsepower to get the averages up but, then it would be a "teeter taughter" to try and get BOTH.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

kid7755
Pro
Pro
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by kid7755 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
kid7755 wrote:Purpose built race heads/RR/Billet pieces/ Hemi heads on LS stuff would be awesome!!
I like the average style scoring technique still.
Personally, I think that scoring is kind-of redundant.

The sum of AVERAGE torque + PEAK horsepower would be my preference.
It has always been a question of sacrificing horsepower to get the averages up but, then it would be a "teeter taughter" to try and get BOTH.
Good point. Your idea would work for sure I think too.

Now you got me thinking out loud. What would happen if it was the opposite? Avg hp plus peak torque. Could that result in letting the actual peak hp number being higher? Meaning a competitive engine would end up with a bit bigger cam and not such a rediculously tight lsa? Ihdk

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3409
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm

kid7755 wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
kid7755 wrote:Purpose built race heads/RR/Billet pieces/ Hemi heads on LS stuff would be awesome!!
I like the average style scoring technique still.
Personally, I think that scoring is kind-of redundant.

The sum of AVERAGE torque + PEAK horsepower would be my preference.
It has always been a question of sacrificing horsepower to get the averages up but, then it would be a "teeter taughter" to try and get BOTH.
Good point. Your idea would work for sure I think too.

Now you got me thinking out loud. What would happen if it was the opposite? Avg hp plus peak torque. Could that result in letting the actual peak hp number being higher? Meaning a competitive engine would end up with a bit bigger cam and not such a rediculously tight lsa? Ihdk
I think that Peak Torque + Average Horsepower would work, too.
The same entry would certainly score differently so, it definitely would require different tuning on the same engine for scoring.

I chose to using peak horsepower because that is what most outside, onlookers want to know.
Yes, the peak horsepower would need to be somewhat higher in probably both situations.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

TexBlackwell
New Member
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:50 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by TexBlackwell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I hear this contest is going to be the real thing! I understand the WEB page will be up soon and any questions will be be ready to be answered.
I've seen the dyno facility and it's first class.

Gregory
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Charlotte

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Here it is!
As we work on the technical rules for our contest, I would like to get some of your opinions/ideas.
raceenginechallenge.com

Gregory
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Charlotte

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm

[quote="Gregory"]Here it is!
As we work on the technical rules for our contest, I would like to get some of your opinions/ideas.
http://www.raceenginechallenge.com

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 pm

It looks like its only for ones with very deep pockets of $. Maybe someday someone will come up with a real contest. And not saying this one isn't a bad idea its just too restrictive, maybe not so much in the rules like EMC but restrictive in other ways. And again American ? So then 4 or 6 cylinder engines are okay?

Carroll
Pro
Pro
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Shreveport,La.

Re: New Engine Contest 2018

Post by Carroll » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing another engine contest. Anyone who maybe interested should post their thoughts on rules. I for one like the idea of being able to run different cubic inch motors. Also would need to keep the cost of the build in check. ( I think this is what is known as a oxymoron?) lol. I really look forward to seeing where this goes. Joe C

Post Reply