Ransomware Computer Hack.................AGAIN!

Open

Moderator: Team

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Ransomware Computer Hack.................AGAIN!

Postby John Wallace » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Yep, I had a brain fart.

:oops:

I was thinking XP and whoosh went right to 7.
My wife's laptop is still 7.
(probably what I was thinking, because her's is fubar'd half the time)

:shock:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

midnightbluS10

Postby midnightbluS10 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Ken0069 wrote:Looks like they're at it again!

New Cyberattack Spreads in Europe, Russia and U.S.
By MARK SCOTT and NICOLE PERLROTHJUNE 27, 2017

From THIS article by the communist NY Times!

Better watch out..... Those damn commies might be putting out fake news to scare you! Lmao

Communists.... Smh. Did we go back to 1960? Next thing you know, we're gonna have another embargo against Cuba put into effect lol.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Postby GARY C » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 pm

After several years of running anti virus software of every kind and yet having my computer taken over every year or less I formed a gary theory that the anti virus people are also the virus people, so after getting a new computer with 8.1 and paying for Norton and having a virus take over my computer in less than 6 months I restored it, quit using anti virus and just save anything I want to disk or you can email it to your self and put it in the saved box. A year and a half later, no anti virus and no computer problems.

I got this idea after finding out that the same company's that develop speed radars for police are the same ones that develop radar detectors for the public.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Postby Dave Koehler » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:07 pm

n2xlr8n wrote:Steve's mental check list for ransomware:

1- Image disk, then Back up, when ransomware installs, tell them to pound sand.

There, done.

Do you know if the ransomware locks up the puter so tight that you can't get to the control panel/ backup and restore section?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Dave Koehler wrote:Do you know if the ransomware locks up the puter so tight that you can't get to the control panel/ backup and restore section?

From what I've read on this you can't do anything with the computer until you pay them and get the password and instructions to un-encrypt it, UNLESS YOU HAVE A HARD DRIVE IMAGE BACKUP TO RESTORE!

If you have an IMAGE of your hard drive then you can use the Windows STARTUP DVD you made when you first got your computer and did your system restore partition backup DVD set, which was probably 3 to 5 DVDs or a 32GB flash drive. You did do those, right??

To do the startup and IMAGE RESTORE without having to reinstall the entire operating system from scratch you use the Startup DVD you made that gives you the option to restore the HARD DRIVE IMAGE you made.

If you only have your data backed up on a flash drive and not a FULL HARD DRIVE IMAGE, then you will have to reinstall the entire system, likely using the system restore DVD set you made when you first got it. THEN you'll have to reinstall your programs and the data that you had put on your flash drive from daily backups. The factory system restore DVD set puts the computer back like it was the day you bought it, WITHOUT ALL YOUR STUFF ALREADY ON IT.

FYI my Darling Wife and I do both, ie, SHE does a daily data backup and I make a HARD DRIVE IMAGE every week or so. So if we have to reload her system then she will only have to restore what's been done on the system SINCE I did the LAST DRIVE IMAGE BACKUP.

Confused yet? :wink:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Postby GARY C » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm

From what I've read on this you can't do anything with the computer until you pay them and get the password and instructions to un-encrypt it
Thats what mine said but I found after a few reboots and playing with some buttons you could over ride it.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 am

GARY C wrote:
From what I've read on this you can't do anything with the computer until you pay them and get the password and instructions to un-encrypt it
Thats what mine said but I found after a few reboots and playing with some buttons you could over ride it.

Gary, were you able to salvage your Windowz system without losing your data then, ie, could you access "Control Panel" to initiate an install of your backed up data? :-k

I've never had my hands on a system that was encrypted with ransomware so that's why I'm asking. All I've read on it though says that you're basically screwed unless you pay the money or you have a backup IMAGE to replace it with.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Postby GARY C » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 am

I don't know if it was the same exact hack, different screen but the same deal that I had to pay them and it also said it was illegal for me to try to fix it without paying them.
I was able to get mine to come up where I could restore the system, on 8.1 you don't need a disk, you can do a full restore directly from the computer but you loose everything, it is like starting with a new computer but that is why I save anything I want to disk so I don't risk loosing anything.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 am

GARY C wrote:I don't know if it was the same exact hack, different screen but the same deal that I had to pay them and it also said it was illegal for me to try to fix it without paying them.
I was able to get mine to come up where I could restore the system, on 8.1 you don't need a disk, you can do a full restore directly from the computer but you loose everything, it is like starting with a new computer but that is why I save anything I want to disk so I don't risk loosing anything.

That's where a DISK IMAGE would have come in handy because you could restore that image and be current to that IMAGE date.

Personally, I'd be scared to death to try using one that had been hacked and restored from the factory restore partition on the same hard drive??? I'd be worried that the hackers had infected THAT also and you just wind up putting the shit back on it all over again. If you made your system restore disks/flash drive when you first got the computer then that's a different story as you could consider that one to be "clean" but in factory condition without any of your "stuff" on it.

Even a restore DISK IMAGE has certain risks involved because you don't know how long the "shit" was on your system before it was activated?? Some of the DOS attacks have software on thousands of systems that's not activated for some time after it was initially installed, which means you "might" be backing up the "shit" each time you make a new DISK IMAGE.

I guess the safest thing to do is to learn what NOT to open or click on!!!

Big Boyz Toyz!

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Postby GARY C » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Thats why I don't put anything on my computer that I need, "They" say you can't protect it! The other possibility would be to use an external hard drive on an off web computer and the plug it into the on web computer when you need to transfer it but then again once you launch it out into the interweb how protected is it?

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:06 am

GARY C wrote:Thats why I don't put anything on my computer that I need, "They" say you can't protect it! The other possibility would be to use an external hard drive on an off web computer and the plug it into the on web computer when you need to transfer it but then again once you launch it out into the interweb how protected is it?

I've got TWO each 2TB external drives that are basically setup as mirror image disks (a double backup) that connect through USB 3.0 ports on my shop desktop system. They only get connected to that computer when I need to transfer data to or from them then I disconnect them.

But you're right in that there are still "unknowns" any way you do it!

Big Boyz Toyz!

mrriggs

Postby mrriggs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Ken0069 wrote:Do you realize that up until about a month ago my Windows XP system was STILL getting security updates from Microsoft? Don't believe everything you read on this stuff!

If you add a line to the registry to tell Microsoft that it is a point-of-sale machine then you will continue to get XP updates until 2019.

In-Tech
Guru
Guru

Postby In-Tech » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:15 pm

mrriggs, can you tell me more of this? PM if necessary.
Thank You
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Postby Ken0069 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 pm

mrriggs wrote:If you add a line to the registry to tell Microsoft that it is a point-of-sale machine then you will continue to get XP updates until 2019.

I didn't know about that one so I did a search and found it. Thanks for the tip!

The real problem though is that Firefox and Chrome are going to discontinue security updates for their XP/Vista browsers in September so after that you'll be a sitting duck of sorts with both XP and Vista.

I've got a Windowz 98SE box that's setup as an old Quake II game server that I get on here with once in a while using an old version of Firefox. I don't see a problem with it on safe sites like here but I don't venture too far from them with that system.

And I do that because........................i CAN! :wink: And it's the same with XP and Vista, ie, I make it a point to go online at least once a day with both XP and Vista, just to screw with Micro$oft's head! They are set to do updates automatically so they are likely polling the update servers every time I boot them. :wink: Yup, I'm that kind of guy all right! :mrgreen:

Big Boyz Toyz!

mrriggs

Postby mrriggs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

Ken0069 wrote:The real problem though is that Firefox and Chrome are going to discontinue security updates for their XP/Vista browsers in September so after that you'll be a sitting duck of sorts with both XP and Vista.

Slimjet will continue to support XP and Vista for as long as they can. Slimjet is basically Google Chrome, they just take the Google out of it. It works well on older machines with limited memory and uses Chrome extensions.

Return to “General Discussion”