Ransomware Computer Hack.................AGAIN!

Open

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Re: Ransomware Computer Hack.................AGAIN!

Post by Ken0069 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 pm

mrriggs wrote:Slimjet will continue to support XP and Vista for as long as they can. Slimjet is basically Google Chrome, they just take the Google out of it. It works well on older machines with limited memory and uses Chrome extensions.
You're just full of tips aren't ya?? I'll check this out tomorrow.

Opted out of the XP update thingie. Did some reading on that and it "might" be problematic at some point due to the differences in the operating systems. One of my XP loads is the original I installed in that hardware back in 2009 and that drive has a bunch of "stuff" on it so I don't want an update horking with that one.

I upgraded that hardware two years ago puting a Xeon x5460 socket 771 Quad Core CPU on an Asus P5Q Pro socket 775 board, 8GB of DDR2 and made that thing a screamer. I expect to keep using that system for a while yet. In fact, I've got two of those setup exactly the same except for hard drives.

Which only goes to prove you don't have to have wheels and tires to "go fast"! :wink:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 pm

UPDATE: Downloaded both the x32 and x64 versions of Slimjet this morning installing x32 on the Windows XP Pro load and the x64 on a Win Vista x64 load. NEITHER WORKED! Vista doesn't do anything and Win XP gives me errors, which relate to Virtual C ++, which IS installed on that system?

So I guess Slimjet Browser is NOT ready for prime time quite yet! I sent them a message about errors when I did the uninstall so maybe they can fix it.

:(
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

mrriggs

Post by mrriggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Did you download the version 10 or 11? Version 11 won't work on XP or Vista. Their development branched when version 11 came out, they are still updating version 10 for the older Windows.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:30 pm

mrriggs wrote:Did you download the version 10 or 11? Version 11 won't work on XP or Vista. Their development branched when version 11 came out, they are still updating version 10 for the older Windows.
Don't know what the version number was but they were downloaded from Cnet.com? I guess I need to investigate this to see which version I downloaded then?

And along that line, the versions you can get now from Firefox for XP and Vista are "esr" versions which are security updates only, no product upgrades but again, that ends come September.

So if v10 of Slmijet is the only one that will work with XP and Vista, then they're doing or using the same base program that Firefox is using, something else to look at I guess since they chose NOT to upgrade v11 for use on XP/Vista?

Big Boyz Toyz!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 pm

UPDATE: Just went looking for v10 of this browser and found that v10 was released back on 02/07/2017? And there's been at least 5 or 6 releases of Firefox esr for XP/Vista during that time with the latest, 52.2.1 being released within the past few days??

Smiljet gonna have to do better than that.

Big Boyz Toyz!