No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Electric powered bicycle.

Post by pdq67 »

What you say???

A conversion that will run 25 miles around town is all.

I dearly love my 1990 or so Specialized Rock Hopper but it wears on me after so many miles. Columbia has several deep valley's and then tall hills and coming in and out of them around town is a drag.. AND I am almost 70 y/o...

Should I get a $300 to $500 battery conversion electric motor kit or should I buy a $90 HFT Genset?? And pull it in a trailer then install an electric motor and such?

pdq67
Slowpoke_70
Re: Electric powered bicycle.

Post by Slowpoke_70 »

Sell the Rock Hopper (out here that old rock hopper is worth something, don't know your local market)

and buy something like this:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/6055873004.html

Or keep the rock hopper and use this next one as parts bike for a conversion:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/6023661627.html

The prices may seem steep if you haven't bought a new bike in a while, but look on Amazon or eBay to compare the cost of a new Bafang or 8fun (same company) mid-drive conversion kit.

You can read up the benefits of a mid-drive setup compared to the cheaper and more prevalent hub motor conversions, but basically it comes down to a better handling bike (weight distribution) and ability to take advantage of gear reduction (mo' gears = mo' better)

Or if you just want the cheapest method using all-new parts, buy a front hub conversion kit (front wheel w/ hub motor, brackets, battery, controller, etc) and put it on your Rock Hopper. But that might cost almost as much as buying that mid-drive parts bike.
Curtis Mc

Post by Curtis Mc »

ebikes are pretty hot now with the major manufacturers and it is a fast growing segment. You should be able to find what tickles your fancy and price range out there now, with more options coming all time. Depending on how much "assist" you want, depends on the watts you would want. I am a competitive bike racer and would recommend anything from 200w and up. I believe there is a Trek out there now with something on the order of 800w, which is very substantial, but I believe it is speed limited.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Was over in Juno Beach and saw these:

Pedego Bikes

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What electric hub kit is a good one to consider buying?

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

pdq67 wrote:What electric hub kit is a good one to consider buying?

pdq67
TTT!!

Again, what is a good electric hub kit to buy?

I would probably buy two battery packs and keep the 2nd one in my rear basket just so I wouldn't get stranded sometime...

And I also would use my pedals to assist the hub.

And I just went out and looked and my bike is a, "Hard Rock", not a, "Rock Hopper", my bad.. Not that it matters to anybody.

Great old dependable bike!!

pdq67
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

my wife and i have e bikes and love them.you can get them as low as about 600 bucks.but can spend a lot more.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

TTT!!

Again, what is a good electric hub kit to buy?

I would probably buy two battery packs and keep the 2nd one in my rear basket just so I wouldn't get stranded sometime...

And I also would use my pedals to assist the hub.

And I just went out and looked and my bike is a, "Hard Rock", not a, "Rock Hopper". Great old dependable bike!!

pdq67

Please??