Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
SuperSpeedway racing

Post by 1972ho »

They should just give up on trying figure out how put on this race,All weekend nothing but wrecking in all 3 races almost no car left to race.In the sixties and seventies I am sure there weren't this many wrecks when the engines had no restrictor plates on the engines.Seem like they should just go to a unlimited 280 cid engine that should keep the hp down and still have some control over the race.Unbelievable
DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: SuperSpeedway racing

Post by DCal »

I kept wondering how much this race cost the Teams. More than half the field in the trailers by stage three. I hate restrictor plate "racing"
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Those 2 tracks have outlived their usefulness!Restricter plate racing is going to kill someone.I know the cars are safer than ever but at 200 MPH it is only time.Tom
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

the tracks arent the problem, its the rules that cause the cars to run in huge packs. 40 virtually identical cars, of course they are all going to run together, and when they run together, they crash together.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

the tracks ARE the problem!They have to run the plate or reduce CI.The cars could run maybe 240 without the plate.The last thing the sport needs is a car going in the stands and killing fans and a driver.The tracks came into being when the cars were slower.They need to be bulldozed.Daytona could be run as a roval like the 24 hour race but dont think Dega can.Tom
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

the cars have been knocking on 200mph for over 40yrs, the problem is they are now all bunched together like a traffic jam.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

They keep them at a max of 200 for years.I had dinner with senior just 2 weeks before he was killed.He hated plate racing and thought the engine needed to go to 300CI.Tom
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Ages ago; didn't they eventually limit the Daytona/Superbird to a 305" engine? Seems like they got it right back then and didn't even know it.

Todays NASCAR fan doesn't care about racing; they want wrecks.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

autogear wrote: Todays NASCAR fan doesn't care about racing; they want wrecks.
Probably because they haven't seen any real racing for the last thirty years.
Everything that management has done to "equalize the competition" is like saying nobody can go faster than the slow guy. May as well just make them run a few laps and give everyone a trophy.

Get rid of these damn mono-bodies and make teams run a production body (at least the profile).
Cut engine size to 305 ci. with any bore and stroke and throw the door wide open for transmissions and suspension.
If you're not competitive then tough shit. Suck it up buttercup.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

by any chance do you actually watch Cup races?Last week one car lead 262 laps.So much for making everyone equal!On many tracks you can watch the REAL wheelmen do their thing.Harvic is one of them,not my favorite in the blue oval.The cars are even more evil now with the reduced spoiler and front valance.Tom