Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: Hip replacement questions.

Post by Keith Morganstein »

pdq67 wrote:I'm taking Hydrocodone APAP, 5-325 and Tramadol for my pain.

I just don't like doing so because of them being, "drugs", is all.

But I gotta do what I gotta do..

pdq67
The sooner you wean yourself of the narcotics, the better.
Narcotics are a trap of a pain and relief cycle.

Please listen to me! Non steroidals can give a lot of relief during rehab after surgery.

Now if you are liking the narcotic effect/ cycle, well that's another story....
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

I don't mean to be harsh, but after three hip surgeries I have a definite opinion. Although needed for a few days, I always felt better once I stopped the narcotic pain meds.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Like ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol, and such instead?

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote:Like ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol, and such instead?

pdq67
Ibuprofen and naproxen. I doubt aspirin will do much, but you could try. Tylenol is completely different and is contained in most of the narcotic pills, so if taking them, you wouldn't want to add more (esp not in combo with alchohol because that can cause other issues).

My experience and thoughts are to wean off of the narcotics, use NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or naproxen (or an RX one from your doctor) and see if you feel better.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

exhaustgases wrote:I got a family member that had both hips shred they were not on a recall, the person has major infection everywhere, and is barely alive.
My dad died a few months after a hip replacement from blood clot problems. Personally I say live with the bad hip, you could end up losing the whole leg or worse.
Its almost to the point of body regeneration now so I'd wait.

Some things to consider.

Have the hip replacement performed at big city major orthopedic hospital. Outcomes are significantly better.

The anti infection protocol is well established. Lots of pre-op prep, but well worth it!

The reason these hospitals/surgeons have you on wafarin (blood thinners) is to prevent blood clots.

No way I would want to live with a bad hip and that poor quality of life.

I'm very fortunate to resIde within an hour of one of the best orthopedic hospitals in the country (New England Baptist Hospital) and have one of the best innovative surgeons there is (Dr. Stephen Murphy)

My quality of life improved greatly and I'm very glad to have a good, very functional and pain free hip!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Guys, I'm fine with the implant surgery, it's the, "healing", pain that is kind a wearing me slick.

No problems with my blood that I know of, or at least they are telling me it is fine.

No alcohol and I am going to switch over to Ibuprofen, at least until I can't sleep at night, then I will take a pain pill or two.

Just how long does it take until the, "healing", pain drop's off? It's been right at 13 days? And I am trying to do my exercises like I am told to do. I just can't over-do it is all if I have taken a pain pill.

My walker is a, "god-send"..... And I am really careful using it....

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote: Just how long does it take until the, "healing", pain drop's off? It's been right at 13 days?

pdq67
That is hard to say because everyone is different. Hip replacement (or any joint replacement) involves plenty of trauma to tissue, bone, nerves etc..
I found that pain was tolareble after a few days, but probably three weeks before basic things like dressing, showering, excercises and getting around had minimal discomfort. Then out to the six week point when I felt pretty strong. Even then it's at least three months for full duty.

The important thing is that you are continuing to improve and recover.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Keith for the positive reinforcement!

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

My Mom died almost 9 months to the day after her bad 1/2-hip implant back about Sept. 2002 and I couldn't get a Dr. or a Lawyer to sue the surgeon back then!

You don't think I wasn't SCARED!!!

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Keith,

My hip is doing pretty good even though it still hurts at the, "ball", but it's my lower back from my spine over to my hip that hurts BAD now!

I know that I have bent over and, " stretched", it some but damn!! It's mainly when I set and get up out of my chair.........

Keith, should I just lay down and NOT do anything for like 2 weeks or so to get the pain out of my lower back?

All I have been doing mostly is just slowly walking to the Quick Shop that's about 5 or so blocks one way is all. Should I stop walking to it??

Paul
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:45 am Keith,

My hip is doing pretty good even though it still hurts at the, "ball", but it's my lower back from my spine over to my hip that hurts BAD now!

I know that I have bent over and, " stretched", it some but damn!! It's mainly when I set and get up out of my chair.........

Keith, should I just lay down and NOT do anything for like 2 weeks or so to get the pain out of my lower back?

All I have been doing mostly is just slowly walking to the Quick Shop that's about 5 or so blocks one way is all. Should I stop walking to it??

Paul
What does the PT/ nurse have to say about the back pain?

I don't think it's good to stop walking or doing PT, maybe modify within limit of comfort.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

I just seen this thread today and read all pages. I hope you heal quickly. You should be through the worse part of it. I haven't had a joint replaced but the 1st few days after my heart surgery I didn't care if I died it hurt so bad. My surgeon told me I was strong enough for it yet and wanted to wait 90 days or so but I wanted to get it one and over. It's going to take almost a year to get as good as you're going to get but you're a do'er not a setter so you will be back in the shop soon.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i had a knee replacement and the mrs had a hip done with no problems. then longer you wait the more trouble you will have as the bone they have to drive the pin into devitrifies more and I know people the bone shattered and never got out of a wheelchair. get it done the sooner the better.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

So PDQ, how is the recovery/rehab going? I hope it's going well and you have "turned the corner"
One thing I want to say (because I've seen many of your other posts)
Free yourself of hate and you will feel/do a lot better!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 pm So PDQ, how is the recovery/rehab going? I hope it's going well and you have "turned the corner"
One thing I want to say (because I've seen many of your other posts)
Free yourself of hate and you will feel/do a lot better!
I do try to but have to really work at it!

I guess that I been kicked so many times in my life that it's hard for me to live and forget and let bygones be bygones. I hope that I am able to contain some of my mouthiness here, but if I offend some, please just take me for what I try to poorly say and roll-on.

The hip has a dull pain that I finally took two pills to get by tonight. I have been trying to avoid them, but whatever. I walk slow a lot to try to promote it's healing so hope I am doing the right thing? Use my cane too... To steady myself.

And Keith, thanks for your concern, I do appreciate it.

pdq67