Post by kid7755 »

K I see Barry and greggory watching. Comment away
kid7755
Pro
Pro
Re: 2017 Engine Masters ???

Post by kid7755 »

Other than that stuff ... it works pretty well

The only part that works well in my opinion is just the guys doing tech and the students are great too. The way the rest of it was run was horrible. That's it I'll stop ranting it's not fair to everyone else.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

We haven't given up yet! We are the musicians - there is no show without us. It may be a David and Goliath situation but, let's put up the good fight. Like I mentioned in my last post, we need UNOH. Let's start sharing some ideas as to how we can push back. To those who don't participate in joining forces let me say this: If we get control of a new contest you will not be invited to participate in our contest!!! I started the thread last May on the idea of a new contest and I was sure I'd be black balled by HRM - I still got invited in for the 2016 EMC. Maybe if they read this I will really be black balled.
One of my observations in working on this with some unnamed people is that their wanting everything to be perfectly
arranged first - e.g. all the media, sponsors, personnel all lined up first with a nice pretty bow tied around it.
This is a field off dreams - you get a real contest going, even if it's on a limited budget at first, the media outlets and vendors will follow. The internet is our friend in this endeavor.
So instead of getting sad and mad, let's get organized by starting off with a partition to UNOH.
Your thoughts.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Well I guess I need to call my own bluff. I'll be watching the post to see everyone's thoughts on the bomb Greg just dropped. Lol

I'm all in for another organization to run EMC 100%!! HRM has made it clear based on their actions that EMC is just an after thought. I'm not sure what I have to offer but I'd help in anyway I could. I don't see it ever getting better with HRM in charge.

Greg. I promise I'll try to change my frustrated crybaby posts into something more positive and intelligent. The saying something intelligent part is going to be a real struggle for me though :lol:
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Maybe this is something people don't want to hear but, I would support ANY engine dyno contest, no matter who runs the stadium. Hopefully, the playing field would be as level as could be. :-k

Like a player on a hockey team ... I wish for some recognition and just want to play. :-|
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

I think Walter speaks for most of us.. There are lot of problems with the current event, but I think most of us have it in our blood and will put up with about anything for the opportunity to participate.
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

brechlrl wrote:I think Walter speaks for most of us.. There are lot of problems with the current event, but I think most of us have it in our blood and will put up with about anything for the opportunity to participate.
Yeah. He's NOT speaking for me. If you just go with the flow then there becomes no accountability. There is no accountability because everyone just "goes with the flow". Therefore, the problem will never go away. I'm just trying to figure out Why everyone is bowing down to HRM.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

kid7755 wrote: I'm just trying to figure out Why everyone is bowing down to HRM.
The explanation is really pretty simple Chris ... at THIS time, there is no other sandbox.
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
kid7755 wrote: I'm just trying to figure out Why everyone is bowing down to HRM.
The explanation is really pretty simple Chris ... at THIS time, there is no other sandbox.
How can we build another sand box? That is the question at hand. I have a half a bag of sand and a 6" long piece of 2 by 4. What does everyone else have?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I just got email for 2017 emc. The rules and classes are dumb. They took this long to come up with this turd pile. I guess they were targeting the audience that still reads hot rod instead of bringing back the ones that left. I could go on but why bother.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Rules for traditional muscle car engines appear somewhat based off of last year's big block deal - except that they went for flat tappet cams with a .600 lift rule (!) - hydraulic only on big blocks and small blocks are allowed solid flats. They opened the cylinder head and valve size deal up. Score RPM range is 3500-6300 for big blocks and 3500-6800 for small blocks. With a cubic inch divider for scoring I really don't understand what's going on with that stuff at all.

My entry is pretty straightforward - last years stuff with a head and cam change. I kinda pity the guys that are trying to build whatever combination gets to a "win" - pretty darn confusing to fuss out the comparative math on this one...intuitively I think the RPM band and lift limit would favor the small block crowd. Cleveland FTW...?

Blower deal could be fun to watch.
Somebody will bring a Cobra R, boost the snot out of it & cash the check....Don't see a boost limit and 4 valves are apparently legal.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Barry_R wrote:Rules for traditional muscle car engines appear somewhat based off of last year's big block deal - except that they went for flat tappet cams with a .600 lift rule (!) - hydraulic only on big blocks and small blocks are allowed solid flats. They opened the cylinder head and valve size deal up. Score RPM range is 3500-6300 for big blocks and 3500-6800 for small blocks. With a cubic inch divider for scoring I really don't understand what's going on with that stuff at all.

My entry is pretty straightforward - last years stuff with a head and cam change. I kinda pity the guys that are trying to build whatever combination gets to a "win" - pretty darn confusing to fuss out the comparative math on this one...intuitively I think the RPM band and lift limit would favor the small block crowd. Cleveland FTW...?

Blower deal could be fun to watch.
Somebody will bring a Cobra R, boost the snot out of it & cash the check....Don't see a boost limit and 4 valves are apparently legal.
Barry I didn't understand the RPM range differences in the Muscle class either until I kept reading and mentally designing a "winner". Small block is 3500-6800, Bigblock is 3500-6500 rpm so the small blocks will have an extra 300 rpm to factor in which will drop the score somewhat. I actually think the cylinder head rules are well worded and about as good as they could get. What's to stop someone from building a small displacement bigblock or 1G/2G Hemi, or Boss 9 ? Like you say though-probably a Cleveland for the win. Oh and they didn't take any of the advice on how to structure the running of the classes or the purse for the top 3 in each class. Surprise, surprise. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Traditional Muscle class:
301 – DISPLACEMENT
Small Block Minimum displacement 320 cubic inches
Big Block Maximum displacement 470 cubic inches
No max for small block?

And what constitute a 'small block'?

Pontiacs (350, 400, 428, 455) don't have a small block or big block?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

For anyone that doesn't see them in the other thread. J.Rob

http://www.hotrod.com/events/engine-masters-challenge/
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Probably some nit-picking here ... The only rule I can't fathom is requiring the carb mounted directly on the intake manifold with only .100" more height allowed.

You can't put a Holley carburetor directly on an Edelbrock manifold without fuel pump screw interference. You'll need to slightly externally modify the intake; use a shorter headed screw on the pump diaphragm cover or get the carb up at least a 1/4" ... even more for a 50 cc pump.
I pointed this out at the contest two years ago but, apparently it fell upon deaf ears.

I don't particularly like a lot of the rules however, everybody is playing on the same field and I like the fact that some are aimed toward money saving.
All the other rules at least had forethought and make sense.