Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Re: 2017 Engine Masters ???

Post by Adger Smith »

Barry, Did you get my E-mail about your parts selection?
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Anyone try both fuels yet? I am using VP 101 now. Wonder how much different the Sunoco is. On paper it is the same. As with past years, the 101 was close to the Q16.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Adger Smith wrote:Barry, Did you get my E-mail about your parts selection?
Yes I did.

Thank you.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
perfcrank

Post by perfcrank »

Progress , i have the crank all done , balanced polished and converted to use a normal flywheel ... now if my cam and lifters / pushrods show up I am jammin ... tomorrow we gap rings , did mock up one piston and rod today and everything is good ....
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

Well we have had many stuggles the past few weeks. The latest is fuel, locating the Spec Sunoco has been a treat for us. If you are on the west coast good luck getting it, if you are in California guess what - they change the fuel specs for California only! Road tripping to another state to get 15 gallons from the only fuel barrel on the entire west coast.
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Well, we finished our testing today. As always wish we had more time. Packing this engine up and getting it shipped off. See you folks in Ohio, wish the rest of you luck to get finished up. Excited to check out what everyone built this year.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

SMITHBERGRACING wrote:Well, we finished our testing today. As always wish we had more time. Packing this engine up and getting it shipped off. See you folks in Ohio, wish the rest of you luck to get finished up. Excited to check out what everyone built this year.

My CNC guy dropped the ball so, I will be spending the weekend hand porting a pair of cast iron Plymouth POLY heads.
I can't imagine I will have the time to make them as good as the "model" port but, you gotta do what you gotta do.
At least I already have the valves.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Installed the heads. Measured for and ordered pushrods. Intake should get buttoned up tomorrow
Survival Motorsports

SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote:
SMITHBERGRACING wrote:Well, we finished our testing today. As always wish we had more time. Packing this engine up and getting it shipped off. See you folks in Ohio, wish the rest of you luck to get finished up. Excited to check out what everyone built this year.

My CNC guy dropped the ball so, I will be spending the weekend hand porting a pair of cast iron Plymouth POLY heads.
I can't imagine I will have the time to make them as good as the "model" port but, you gotta do what you gotta do.
If you did a Chrysler Poly I have a CNC Program for those.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

SMITHBERGRACING wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:

If you did a Chrysler Poly I have a CNC Program for those.
It is a Plymouth Poly not a Chrysler Poly. I am pretty sure the castings are not the same.
A little late in the game now to be shipping heads back and forth though; I do appreciate the offer.
perfcrank

Post by perfcrank »

Well i have managed to get a cam on its way from CALI .. be here tuesday
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote:

Because of the issues with the CNC shop I normally use, the heads for my "B" engine Mopar are not finished either so, Daniel Bosheasrs lent me the heads off his last years contest engine.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Well - it runs...
Did cam break in last night.
More to follow - I hope...
Survival Motorsports

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Barry_R wrote:Well - it runs...
Did cam break in last night.
More to follow - I hope...
Great Barry ... I fear that with this "B" engine, I will be running it for the first time, and therefore breaking-in the cam & lifters with full valve spring pressures, at the contest.
It is supposed to be the very first engine to run Monday morning.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Eaton Balancing entry will not make it for its running in the Monday Vintage engine class. I'll be calling Randy in the morning so that the Monday run schedule can be adjusted. The MEL engine that I working on has a serious cam/lifter wear issue. The increase in lash was first noticed after cam run in. The actual lift at the valves was checked at that point and the numbers pretty indicated no lobe wear issue at that point.

Checking the lash again after a short pull (3500-5000 rpms)for an ignition timing check pull saw another increase in lash on all lobes. Until I tear it down, I'll not know if it's the lifters or the camshaft that contributed to the failure. Looking in the small oil holes in the valley at the camshaft, the cam lobes do not appear to be bad but all sixteen lifters fail to come up out of their bores as they are mushroomed on their bottoms. Gut fee at this point says it's the lifters. Needless to say, I only had that one camshaft and no backups. Come tomorrow morning, I'll be pulling the camshaft and lifters for a more detailed examination.

Only made one pull with the MEL but it was making 692 lbs/ft torque at 4000 rpms and the HP at 5000 was 619. Spark plugs indicated that the total timing being set at 36° was still too much and the fuel mixture was on the rich side. Never got a chance to make another pull with a reduction in timing as that was when the valve lash was checked and found to be excessive.

I'll post more on this once I know more. Ted Eaton.
Ted Eaton