Annoying Popups Ramping Up???

Open

Moderator: Team

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Annoying Popups Ramping Up???

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Don't know if any of you have noticed or not, but a LOT of websites are now using large popups that open some time after you visit their websites and IMHO they are annoying as hell!! I complained about it for a while then got pissed off and started putting fictitious Email addresses in the boxes just to mess with them. What I found out is that if you do that, their site then slips you a "cookie" stating that you've already signed up and the popups stop! At least for now anyway.

Sample screw@yourpopups.com is one I've used on several sites along with none@available.com is another. You might have to get creative and invent some others to use though since I've already used those two and a bunch of sites.

So, if you guys get tired of the crap like I did, then give the Email thingie a try and you'll see what I mean.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Re: Annoying Popups Ramping Up???

Post by Zmechanic » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm

You use ad block? That's usually one of the first recommended courses of action to try to stop those.

The cookie spoofing is an interesting idea, though. Would probably totally jack with targeted ads too.

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Zmechanic wrote:You use ad block? That's usually one of the first recommended courses of action to try to stop those.

The cookie spoofing is an interesting idea, though. Would probably totally jack with targeted ads too.
AdBlock is now selling ads. Use some on the smaller ones like AdGuard.

Personally, I'd suggest using the Opera browser if you aren't already. Integrated ad blocker (not AdBlock), and VPN/ Private mode VPN options. And, all the mouse gestures like previous.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:48 pm

I already run an ad blocker but the stuff I'm seeing isn't a sales ad so Ad Blockers don't stop them. These popups are used to get you to subscribe to their mailing list so they can spam you with Emails also. I tried Popup blocker for Firefox but that kills almost everything else as well and it's a bitch to try to get all the good stuff on the "White List".

Just giving them a bullshit Email address once seems to stop them, until they figure out how to get around that too.

But if you've got something that really works, good for you!
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

Paul Rig

Post by Paul Rig » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 am

Firefox with extensions - Ublock Origin, better privacy, HTTPS everywhere.

I dont see many adds except for sites I allow, and get no pop ups, pop under or pop over ads.

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:51 pm

I have not been on Yellow Bullet for a week now because of the virus warnings. I actually got one and had to go through the motions to get rid of it. Lot's of pop-up adds on that site now. I do not get any here on Speedtalk.

dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 am

Yellowbullet is now owned by an advertising company called VerticalScope. They own a ton of forums now.

Their usual modus operandi is to negotiate with the forum owner in secret to make the sale, then "Philip" or "Helen" announces the change of ownership, locks any threads about it, and then start adding more annoying animated advertising.

In the last year I've dumped half a dozen forums that got borged by VerticalScope. Most of them are just gutted shells of their former selves. VS doesn't seem to care as long as their archives are still indexed to get clicks.

These are just the automotive forums they now own: http://www.verticalscope.com/automotive/site-list.html

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by Ken0069 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 pm

dwilliams wrote:Yellowbullet is now owned by an advertising company called VerticalScope. They own a ton of forums now.
Hummm, The Bullet got hacked last year and having run a forum myself and dealing with that shit I'd bet that played a large part in them getting out, ie, selling out. I'd also bet there's a "no compete" clause in the sale too.

Hummmm, maybe I should open up Motorsportsvillage.com/forum to members again? ....................Nah, I got tired of the two faced assholes I had to deal with on that one and I figured out I'm better off basically using it as a political blog!

Big Boyz Toyz!