Bolt on Hybrid kit from SEMA

Post by crazyman »

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Bolt on Hybrid kit from SEMA

Post by pdq67 »

Is this for real??

Is it going to financially go into mass production? You know, sell for a profit production..

pdq67
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

The electric motor drives the engine which drives the car.
So the engine will always turn.

It would be better to hook it up directly to the driveshaft so you can use electric only without the engine turning.....as an additional mode.

You really want a gearbox with a PTO so you can hook up the motor to that.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Joe,

The site I looked at had the electric motor on the rear of the tranny then the driveshaft to the rear end. I don't think it is hooked up all the time to the engine??

Is this what you are talking about?

pdq67
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

joe 90 wrote:The electric motor drives the engine which drives the car.
So the engine will always turn.

It would be better to hook it up directly to the driveshaft so you can use electric only without the engine turning.....as an additional mode.

You really want a gearbox with a PTO so you can hook up the motor to that.

I currently drive a 2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid...it has just what you speak of. Electric motors (2 of them) are integrated into the transmission, turns the output shaft without the engine running. It's a pretty durable system, but never really caught on...think GM sold a couple thousand of them maybe. GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade

Chrysler also used it on Durango/Aspen hybrids, and BMW. Transmission is an Allison unit

The system in this video, possibly uses some of the OEM parts from those Yukon hybrids...the battery pack and cables/connectors look really familiar.
too lazy to make power w/o boost
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I guess I can't figure out why a small to little 2 or 3-banger diesel running at a set rpm for best eff. that runs a generator that feeds to a big battery pack that in turn runs an electric motor that would drive the vehicle won't work??

(He, He!! Boy is this a run-on sentence!)...

What am I missing?

I do know that the old N&W RR's, "Traveling Tie Gang", out of Moberly, MO that I worked on as a kid track equipment were powered by 3-71 GMC diesels that ran wide open, (3,000 rpm(?), driving full hydraulics fine. Noisy, but fine!! Run the track equipment like that for a year and longer!!

Tie saw, Scarifier, Tie Inserter, Spiker, and finally the Ballast Regulator. The little Tie Handler and my follow up Tie Tamper and the Track Liner were gas engine powered

But all said and done, I figure a 1st Gen. Honda Insight engine package without the electrics in said light weight vehicle should get 60+ mpg on the Hwy.

Imho, Honda missed the boat because they should have put just the Insight's engine along with a 5-speed stick tranny in a 1,500 pound 2-dr hatch, 5-speed stick el-strippo commuter corn-popper, they would have sold a Million OR MORE of them!!

The Insight's little 1,000 cc 3-banger engine was SOTA back then!!

And my bought new 1987 Chevy Sprint ER, 1,000 cc, 3-banger, 5-speed, hatch, el-strippo got 50 mpg running 70 mph commuting on the Hwy for years and years, BUT it only weighed like 1,500 pounds! Sucker handled like a "SK-8" Board!!

pdq67