Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

Are we becoming machine operators instead of machinist

Post by jed »

With the coming of CNC machines will the machinist that we know be gone??
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Are we becoming machine operators instead of machinist

Post by Walter R. Malik »

jed wrote:With the coming of CNC machines will the machinist that we know be gone??
In my opinion ... I don't think that type person will ever be fully gone, just scarce.

I think people who start out on their own machining venture will have little money for any CNC equipment so, they will learn on totally manual or NC machines.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

CNC is most cost-effective in volume production situations where many identical parts are needed. I sell an adapter and driveshaft to mount an Oldsmobile oil pump on the Packard V8. It was not cost-effective to have an experienced machinist produce them on a manual Bridgeport and the quality was impossible to control. Once programmed for CNC, it became zip/pop easy and profitable and they're all exactly the same. However, a forty-years-experience-master-machinist refined the part and did the programming and the QC for the CNC production.

Then, there's the programming time for different engines. If one is doing only and many SBCs or LS, or SBFs and the programming is available from the manufacturer, a CNC machining center would probably be cost-effective. Where we're doing a Packard V8, then a Studebaker V8, then a Studebaker Champion 6-cyl flathead, with SBC, SBF, BBC, BBF, BBM, a Hercules, a Chrysler marine, a '34 Buick I8, Wisconsin, John Deere, Model T Fords mixed in; at what number of units would individual programming ever pay for itself?

I have a friend who makes carbide cutter machine tooling. He doesn't hire many machinists, as on some of their high production machines, the operator just stacks in raw material, pushes a few buttons and then unloads finish machined parts. They have several machines which hold enough stock to run unattended overnight; doesn't even require an operator on that shift.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

Problem is some Cnc operators are over their heads or have little background coming into the trade and after a few years think their machinists.
results speak for themselves
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I only use CNC equipment, all I make is one of a kind stuff, I wouldn't take a manual machine if it were given to me.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Someone has to know how to set up that CNC machine to make it work right, and troubleshoot it when it goes wrong.

The advantage of CNC isn't necessarily putting machinists out of work ... it's the ability to make machined parts shaped in a way that would be unthinkable and/or cost-prohibitive on manual equipment.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Brian P wrote:Someone has to know how to set up that CNC machine to make it work right, and troubleshoot it when it goes wrong.

The advantage of CNC isn't necessarily putting machinists out of work ... it's the ability to make machined parts shaped in a way that would be unthinkable and/or cost-prohibitive on manual equipment.
Even if I am doing using the machine manually and moving the table by turning the dial, any decent CNC is a better machine than the best manual machine. No sloppy ways or screws that need to have drag to make a climb cut.

Even where I served my apprenticeship a long long time ago, where they had the best of the best European manual machines, they were vastly better than K&T, Cincinnati, Bridgeport etc, but still slow, clunky and inaccurate compared to even Japanese CNCs from the 80's like a Mori.

Modern machines, especially high speed machining stuff takes multiples of the skill, judgment, reflexes and courage to run than any manual machine.

Imagine this on a manual machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlK ... cIYigYG7kf

To make money in a machine shop today, you need to able to do what others cannot do, and do it very fast.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I am impressed by the machines and people who design and build these machines.