How long is an L-4/5 Laminectomy good for?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
How long is an L-4/5 Laminectomy good for?

Post by pdq67 »

I had mine done back in Jan., 2007 and got instant pain relief. But today, my left legs hip ball is back hurting like it did back then before my surgery.

So what do I do for long term relief? Have the same surgery again or do something else?

Oh, I'm 69! Probably just wore out is all????

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: How long is an L-4/5 Laminectomy good for?

Post by pdq67 »

Please guys that have had this surgery done post back and comment on how long it took before the pain came back?

The sciatica nerve thing is in the outside of my left leg again, but hasn't gotten so bad that the top of my left foot hurts!

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Pdq, I am close to your age. Picked up a lot of things I probably shouldn't have in my younger years. Was no big deal to grab a bare SBC block off the floor, carry it halfway across the garage and set it on a workbench in those days. Oxygen or acetylene bottles? No problem. I'd throw them on my shoulder and carry them the equivalent of a few city blocks, shifting shoulders now and then. Eventually doing such things over a great many years plus being blown up once in the service and later, thrown out of a car I rolled at 75 MPH caught up with me, though.

I had a lumbar laminectomy of the L-4/5 due to a ruptured disc back in 1997. The pain was so intense that the doctor didn't need to talk me into it. After he explained that it might help, or it might not help and if anything went wrong, I might be paralyzed or might not make it through the operation...... Before he even made a pitch for operating...... I told him I wanted to do it. The pain was so bad that it was worth taking the risk. I had been doing physical therapy for 6 months following the injury, had permanent nerve damage as a result of both the injury and the PT, large doses of pain killers only dulled the pain a short while and I quit using them because I didn't like being muddle headed and I wasn't willing to spend the rest of my life like that.

My surgeon wanted to do the laminectomy rather than fusing the vertebrae and said at the time that if it didn't work out, fusing the vertebrae was the next step. To demonstrate why he did not want to fuse them unless absolutely necessary, he brought out a full scale reproduction of a human spine and explained that if he fused 2 (or more) vertibrae, the remaining vertebrae would have to take up the slack and move more whenever I moved the same amount overall. In other words, putting more movement/stress on the remaining unfused vertebrae would make them more likely to rupture another disc at some point in future. So I opted for the laminectomy. This relieved much of the pain and although I will never be the same as before and a couple of times since, I have managed to overdo and throw my back out again, I have managed to work through it each time and get it back in alignment over time and the more I do what I was told to do (and not to do) following the operation 19 years ago...... The less pain I have now of days.

Example...... I was told not to pick up anything over 20 lbs. following the operation. Ever. But I still occasionally pick up things over twice that weight even though I know better. Just depends on how much you want to risk reinjuring your back and perhaps having to have surgery all over again. I am still working at living within my physical limitations. Whenever I overdo it...... My back gives me a reality check.

Hope this helps,

Harry
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

Disclaimer, I'm not a Doctor, I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I've never had back surgery.

But....I had sciatica really bad a year or so ago. I got a shot of cortisone into my back and I've been good since then. Surgery was never mentioned, but I suppose if the injection didn't work surgery could have been next. Like enigma57 I've changed the way I do some things. My advice is find a good orthopedic Doctor, or even a sports doctor. There's been big advances in back treatment, even since 2007. There's one place near here that claims you can have a disc fixed as an outpatient and be back at work in 2 days. (radio add I heard, not saying it's totally true)

FWIW I'm 52.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

It's funny because my lower back never hurt, but now, if I sit at my computer and then get up, my left hip hurts until it relaxes so that I can walk???? Don't understand why?

I go back the 20th for an MRI scan.

I went back to the Surgeon that worked me over in 2007. He mentioned that maybe I need a new left hip put in....

I will see what the MRI has to say?

Anyway, ain't it grand getting old and falling apart!!

When I was a kid working on the traveling tie gang, moving RR ties and packing 200 pound kegs of spikes. I was talking with my now way long gone RR/CO Buddy once about packing ties on our shoulders. He commented that some of the ties under the switches must have weighed close to 400 pounds as we would just grab hold and move them where they had to go.. We generally tried to skid them along the ground using tie tongs instead of dead lift them when we could..

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well, just got back from having a steroid injection done.

The Dr. said my MRI showed that my L-4/5 is slipping sideways to the left and then he said that to fix it if the steroid injection doesn't help, that I would need to have that disc removed, a wedge inserted and metal pinned which would fuse(Sp?) the two together and that would stop the left migration of my lower back in that area.

He did say that for my age, I was in great physical health except for this, but that I need to lose my, "beer-belly", and drop say 50 to 60 or so pounds.

He went on to say that us men in good health grow, "beer-belly's", where women in good health grow, "big asses and fat thighs", and I just laughed.

I'm waiting now to see how the injection works.

At least prodding from my Son got me off my dead ass to see what is going on........

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I just got back from walking to our close by, "Quck-Shop" for something to nibble and I have to say that so far, if I don't twist my left hip-ball, I am doing pretty good.

Dr. said like 2 weeks for the steroid to kick in to it's fullest. I will see.

Oh, it was funny when I got my MRI done, the lady handed me a pair of ear-plugs and after I heard the machine, all I could say was, "Was it playing, DEVO??"....

My word it was loud..

And when I got my steroid shot, I told her that if I wasn't such an old fart that she would give me an erection rubbing on the top crack of my ass with warm water and she just laughed..

Dirty ol' man that I am...

pq67
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

You might need a new hip?

Laminectomy or discectomy?

I damaged my back way back (left L4/5) in about 1996, I carried on working despite ongoing pain.
Then in about 2008 damaged the L4/5 on the right hand side.
After about 9 months had a discectomy on both sides, the RHS is cured but I've got permanent nerve damage on the LHS due to the long term untreated injury. Damage as in no reflexes in the left foot.

I mentioned the hip because a friend (about 65) thought he had a bad disc but a new hip fixed his back problems.
When I was young I used to pick up those large wooden cabinet TVs all on my own.
Now I'm paying for it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I forget just when I did it, but it was before all of this.

I lifted my bare 283 block over my S-i-L's tailgate because it wouldn't fold down.

I just, "Well, let's get this SOB loaded", and took a deep breath and----------

pdq67
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

In my case the problem was hereditary. Arthritis -cause stenosis at L-4 through L-6. They removed the disks and bolted the whole assembly together. Decent relief for about six months and then back –as it were- to the old problem.
I declined further surgery. To take my mind off the problem I developed pulmonary problems that matured into a cardiac condition. Getting this fixed involved Prednisone which entirely cleared up my back problem. Great stuff –knocks off twenty years of age- except it will kill you if used for other than short periods.

The takeaway is that my back condition is from inflammation rather than structural. While diminished it’s back. I’m looking for a doctor that might know something about inflammation and treatment thereof. On me, the injections were a 36 hr. fix.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again.

It seems as of now the steroid shot helped lower the pain.

I can pretty-much walk fine once I stand up.

But it still takes a bit for the pinch to straighten out after sitting for a while like now webbing in my big chair.

I need to call the Dr's office and tell them what's going on. I am going to try to hold off on any lower back/disc surgery as long as I can.

pdq67