Is CAR CRAFT Dead?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Racer X

Is CAR CRAFT Dead?

Post by Racer X »

According to a visit I did on the TEN network page, Car Craft has joined PHR and RnC at the big mag rack in the sky. Something to do with Road Kill magazine conflict of interest. Can anyone else confirm this?!
"All those other guys where cheatin' ten times worse than us, so it was just self defense".... Smokey Yunick
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Is CAR CRAFT Dead?

Post by lefty o »

i dont know, but it sure has sucked and gotten very thin the last few years.
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Just got one of those renew now for low low price offers from them.. I have been burned several times extending a subscription then the magazine folding...Tex Smith still owes me money. lol
After hearing this news I think I will just wait and see.. I hate to see old titles like CC go down even if the content is thin.. I think Crass and Bernie usually take up more pages than the articles..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

brechlrl wrote:Just got one of those renew now for low low price offers from them.. I have been burned several times extending a subscription then the magazine folding...Tex Smith still owes me money. lol
After hearing this news I think I will just wait and see.. I hate to see old titles like CC go down even if the content is thin.. I think Crass and Bernie usually take up more pages than the articles..
I bet they would do a better job of running the Engine Masters Challenge simply because they don't have 5 other more important outings, (to them), to organize and could give it the attention the sponsors and contestants of that contest deserve.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What mag's are left?

Hotrod,
Car Craft,
Popular Hot Rodding,
Super Chevy,
Chevy High Performance.

Isn't there a newer mag out about Chevy's? Or has it already bit the dust? I don't remember it's name?

Please post them up if there are still some left that I haven't listed.

Thanks,

pdq67
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I hope Car Craft doesn't go away. It's always been my favorite. Seems to be more engine tech than the rest. I also liked Popular Hotrodding. Was bummed when they ended that one.
Joe Facciano
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Just got a letter to re-up CC, don't know if I will or not?

I still take HR and that's all.

pdq67
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

The only remnant of CC IMO is Roadkill episodes on youtube. Frieberger and Mike Finnegan. You can get the Ep a week in advance by being part of the Motor trend channel, but they are up to 52 released episodes.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

If its not dead it should be. The editorial was all about dogs last month. i've been a subscriber for many years but i think i'm about done. I watch roadkill on youtube but its getting old. Car shows such as street outlaws are so fake i can't stand them. All my peers seem to eat this stuff up. The car hobby is about PARTICIPATING not WATCHING!!! I used to have a group of buddies to cruise with and go to the track with. Now they all play on their smart phones at the lake in their campers. Am i ranting here? Sorry
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Jagdpanzer »

Agree with the thin content. Last one I received went in the trash after thumbing through it for ten minuets.
Last good one I recall was the one with the article on Jon Kaase big block Ford heads.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

95% of it is old and tired, but it's that 5% of new and improved stuff that makes it worth while.
Joe Facciano
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

They seem completely focused on YouTube video now. Roadkill, Engine Masters, and a couple others. They missed out by not acquiring a couple of the large internet forums when they hit the market. As a communication based entity it's sort sad that the magazine community is lacking in - communication. It almost feels like they are simply giving up rather than trying to compete/coexist/find a place within the digital media world. I still believe that there is a place for the status, professionalism and integrity that a quality magazine can provide - but that advantage seems to be dwindling month by month. I suppose that twenty years of adverse ownership can do that to an industry icon.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

It's kind a like digital photography!

If Kodak would have come up with a new and improved electronic printed picture like the old chemical one that Polaroid had, they would still be doing fine BECAUSE I still like to have a hardcopy and one in my hand and not have to wait to use a color printer!

Or am I missing something?

Cost? Patents? Or what?

pdq67
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

The one thing I still find funny about all the magazines is that they are still stuck in the 1965 - 1975 car time period. I don't mind that too much since all the new cars are ugly and boring. But I think it's funny in that it appears everyone else thinks all the new cars are ugly and boring. It would be cool if they would start putting in cars from the 1930 to 1964 time period. As I've grown older, I've learned to appreciate the look of the older cars, especially the big wing cars of the late 50's. The rounded cars of the 1940's are also cool.
Joe Facciano
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I've been getting CC for about 30 years & really the only thing good in it now is Krass & Bernie. :lol:
Jim