2009 3.3 engine in a 2002 grand caravan

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

outbid
2009 3.3 engine in a 2002 grand caravan

Post by outbid »

Hi there, I have a 2002 grand caravan that the engine got ruined beyond reasonable rebuild, so I got the option to buy a 2009 engine that is from another grand caravan with 3.3 engine also, is it possible to directly switch the engines? would I need something else? any help would be appreciated
by the way, I am located in CHILE so importing an engine is not a real option due to real vehicle cost, and that type of engine is hard to get here
thanks
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Re: 2009 3.3 engine in a 2002 grand caravan

Post by MileHighMan »

outbid wrote:Hi there, I have a 2002 grand caravan that the engine got ruined beyond reasonable rebuild, so I got the option to buy a 2009 engine that is from another grand caravan with 3.3 engine also, is it possible to directly switch the engines? would I need something else? any help would be appreciated
by the way, I am located in CHILE so importing an engine is not a real option due to real vehicle cost, and that type of engine is hard to get here
thanks

I made a phone call for you to a local recycler...His interchange says your 2002 Dodge Caravan uses an engine listed for 2001 and 2002 only......The later model fits 2009 and 2010 only...My Mitchell program lists two different part numbers for a long block based on year model as well....Hope that helps!!...Dan.
outbid

Post by outbid »

Thanks Dan,

that is really a help right now, I will keep away form other engines that are not 2001 or 2002 then, will try to get one and import it if needed.

thanks
again!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What happened to your engine?

If it didn't throw a rod, it can be rebuilt, although probably costly.

Just over-sized pistons unless it can't be bored out clean, then sleeves to fit pistons in a complete rotating assembly as well as valves, guides and springs in your top-end and it will be good as new! A balance job is in order too...

Oh, don't forget the oil pump and cam and stuff.

Good luck.

pdq67

PS., it probably isn't worth it to put this much into it, BUT if you do decide to fix her, you will know what you have and it should run for more years than the body will hold up to.