Guru

Re: Rheumatoid Aithritis?

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Good article Kevin, and as a young man how many times have I gotten drunk on my ass then took 2 Tylenol before I went to bed, then 2 more when I finally got up the next day?? Talk about the "double whammy" on my liver??? :roll: But back then pretty much no one knew that was actually a problem.

Then there's the full size 320mg aspirin I took from the time I was 30 years old (1975) until just a few years ago when I switched over to the baby aspirin instead that I still take today?? Never had any stomach problems from that that I know of though. Benefit from that is that I'm 70 years old with ZERO problems with my heart or other circulatory problems yet my Dad died of a massive heart attack at 45 and I have a brother that's 10 years younger than I am who has had to have graphs put in under his arms on both sides to feed blood to his legs because of PAD. So I do believe the aspirin has helped prevent me from having those kind of problems. Good thing too as I've got enough other shit wrong and don't need heart trouble added to that list.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Saw my Rheumatologist yesterday and I'm going to start on Methotrexate as soon as I get an issue with a jaw tooth resolved. I've got a tooth that had a root canal and a crown done to it back in 2005 that's been giving me problems since back in January and now I think it might be abscessed. Have an appointment with the Dentist for this coming Tuesday so I'll know more on that then. Rheumatologist doesn't want me to start the Methotrexate if I have an infection already in my body so that has to be resolved first.

Sam's Club pharmacy called last night to let me know the prescriptions were ready and this stuff is going to be cheaper by the month than the Plaquenil was by about $5. =D>
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

Big Boyz Toyz!

induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:07 am

Ken0069 wrote:Saw my Rheumatologist yesterday and I'm going to start on Methotrexate as soon as I get an issue with a jaw tooth resolved. I've got a tooth that had a root canal and a crown done to it back in 2005 that's been giving me problems since back in January and now I think it might be abscessed. Have an appointment with the Dentist for this coming Tuesday so I'll know more on that then. Rheumatologist doesn't want me to start the Methotrexate if I have an infection already in my body so that has to be resolved first.

Sam's Club pharmacy called last night to let me know the prescriptions were ready and this stuff is going to be cheaper by the month than the Plaquenil was by about $5. =D>

I am a little late since you have a professional medical diag and prescription. But if I had of read this earlier in the month. I would have suggested you try "coated" aspirin while you wait. I got juvenile rheumatoid arthritis when I was seven and spent two years in the hospital in a wheel chair with it. They ended up sending me to the Arthritis society. A lab in Vancouver where they did experimentation and research on people and children with different forms of rheumatism's. I became one of there guinea pigs. Anyhow, after a couple years they got word large doses of aspirin would control or even seemed to turn it right off in some people. So they gave me 16 coated aspirin per day. One week in I was walking. A couple months in I was back home and all was back to a normal life. I am just shy of fifty now. Every few years or so. I get a bit of sore wrists or ankles. I pound coated aspirin for a couple days and it clears up again. Over the years I have had friends and people I've come across with rheumatism's and different types of arthritis on different wonder drugs that were suffering. I suggest to them to try easing up into fairly large doses of ASA / aspirin. Not all. But many of them have had very good results. "So I am not a doctor". Any of this is at anyones own risk! But other than possible stomach ulcers. I have not heard of any bad reaction from trying this and I would guess that there are way less risks associated with this treatment than any most any recent wonder drugs. So if you wanted to try it or play it really safe and ask your physician first about it. You could try this and there is a good shot you would be able to avoid any and all long term medical treatment.

The key is you must drink lots of water and it should be taken with a glass of milk. I would start with two 250 m.g. coated aspirin tablets three times a day. See how that goes with your stomach and pain. If it persists and your not having any upset stomach. Then crank it up to 3 tablets four times a day. If it does not settle down a bunch in a few weeks. Then I would go see a rheumatologist or try that other treatment you have.

Again. I am not a doctor. But have had a lot of experience with this and have never seen or heard of it hurting anyone? "At your own risk".

I would bet this is one of those things drug companies would prefer to keep quiet.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I started taking aspirin because my sinuses were going nuts! (My sinuses are always going nuts!!)... Worked very well along with Guaifenesin. 400 mg. tab of G. and 12 to 1500 mg. of Aspirin twice a day..

Use the aspirin until my stomach backs up, lay off it for a couple of days and go at it again.

Also helps with my sore lower legs, ankles and feet! (Heck, I really need to lose about 75 pounds!!!)...

And one thing about aspirin, Pharma can't make any money off it because it is NATURAL!! I figure this is why Pharma pushes so much other crap vs just using it in a lot of cases.

pdq67

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 pm

induction apprentice wrote:The key is you must drink lots of water and it should be taken with a glass of milk. I would start with two 250 m.g. coated aspirin tablets three times a day. See how that goes with your stomach and pain. If it persists and your not having any upset stomach. Then crank it up to 3 tablets four times a day. If it does not settle down a bunch in a few weeks. Then I would go see a rheumatologist or try that other treatment you have.

Again. I am not a doctor. But have had a lot of experience with this and have never seen or heard of it hurting anyone? "At your own risk".

I would bet this is one of those things drug companies would prefer to keep quiet.
Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm between meds still because this tooth has abscessed and I'm waiting on the root canal guy to try to fix his screw up. More on that later after my August 8th appointment with him.

But yeah I took a single 325mg aspirin daily for about 30+ years before I switched to the baby aspirin. Come to think of it, that was about the time all this shit started??? Another WTF moment.

Ennywho, I'm not going to be able to take the Methotrexate until a week or two AFTER the dental procedure on the 8th so I may just do some aspirin stuff until then. Like you said, there's little risk involved with it, and, it's CHEAP!

I'll let you know how this works out, if/when I get going with it.

Big Boyz Toyz!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Well, hopefully the tooth issue is behind me as the Dentist did a "re-do" on the root canal he had done back in 2005. And BTW, the infection was GONE when he went in it, which I "assume" is good news.

Anyway, I took my first dose of the DMARD MTX (Methotrexate) for my Lupus last night and so far so good, ie, no shits or pukes thus far, :shock: which is GOOD news, and hopefully my hair won't fall out either. Only time will tell on that one though.

Right now I'm on 10mg once a week but I expect that he'll up that when I go back for blood work in 4 weeks.

And the never-ending saga continues........................ :roll:

Big Boyz Toyz!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:59 pm

UPDATE: Saw my Rheumatologist last Wednesday. Things are looking pretty good except for the fact that my hair is falling out??? WTF?? Pain is all but gone and the inflammation in my joints is much less now than it was when i started off 5 weeks ago.

So he upped my MTX dose to 6 pills (15mg) from 4 (10mg) and also is giving me something to help with the hair loss. It's not coming out in clumps but I do notice it every night when I shower as when I dry off I dry my hair first, then my face and for the past 2 weeks I've been getting hair on my face when I do that so I know it's falling out. That and the fabric covered head rest on my chair is showing a bunch of it there as well.

Ennywho, I've got to see him again in 2 months and he says that after that the appointments/checkups will move out to 3 month intervals. Whether I stay on this stuff or not depends on whether the hair loss can be stopped. I've read where sometimes that takes care of itself and goes away on it's own and others say they went bald. As ugly as my head is I really don't want to go there.

To Be Continued..............................

Big Boyz Toyz!

lefty o
Pro
Pro

Post by lefty o » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

if it helps the other problems, hats are cheap.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 am

lefty o wrote:if it helps the other problems, hats are cheap.
You must be bald? :wink:

At 71, a full head of hair is about the only thing I had going for me! :(

Biotin 10mg daily is what I'm taking now and hopefully that'll at least help me keep what I've got.

Big Boyz Toyz!

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:54 pm

I'M DONE! It's gotten to where the side effects are worst than what I was going through before I started these drugs. I'll see the Dr this coming Thursday but I've made up my mind that if NSADS won't handle it I'll just have to learn to live with it. If it gets too bad I may consider going back on it later but for now I'm done.

Big Boyz Toyz!

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:02 am

Samantha is allergic to a common preservative used in medicines. She went through a laborious process to find a powdered product that could be inhaled before each meal. Because the sealed product would not support growth without moisture present they had the drug approved without the preservative. When inhaling she had the common side effect of heavy coughing when the particles went into her lungs. Her concern was that she was damaging her lungs and she went in for a test. Turned out that her lung capacity actually increased over a test taken a couple years prior! That was a surprise.

I have noticed that the ads on TY for various prescribed drugs are a lot more forward with some of the possible negative side effects (death usually being mentioned as a possibility).

Ken,you should try to get a second and even third opinion from doctors. That might involve a good deal of travel but it is good to have different perspectives analyzing the issue.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Kevin thanks for the advice but I had a hell of a time finding this Dr. I really don't have a problem with him, just with the meds and from what I've read, he's doing what most others do, ie, trying stuff to see if it will work because EVERYBODY is different.

Wife has had me on a "special" modified Mediterranean noninflammatory type diet that we think has done as much for me as the meds have. THAT is one reason for coming off the meds. That and the first blood work that was done showed my vitamin D was WAY low, and, that by itself creates problems. Dr put me on 50k units of D3 weekly for the first month then after that ran out I was doing 5K daily. After the second blood test he put me back on the 50k weekly again and kept me on the 5k a day?

I've also been on testosterone replacement therapy since March when that test came back at 226 (low 348 - high 1150 minus 1% per year over 65 years old). That was at 464 on the last test that was done in June.

The Lupus/etc. symptoms I was having before that Dr visit weren't bad enough that I sought treatment for them. I actually went to the Dr for something else back in January and I mentioned the sore joints in the morning to him and that was when he recommended the blood test be done.

Ennywho, I'll keep updating this thread as I go along.

Big Boyz Toyz!

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Well, it sounds like the doctor actually believes you when you are reporting symptoms. Samantha has run into a few that were very skeptical. I had to take high doses of Vitamin D as well (for the first time in my life). I think it was because I spent so much time indoors allowing my foot to heal.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Ken,

Up until I had My L4-5 Laminidectomy(Sp?) back it Jan 3rd, 2007, I had to take a T-4 along with a shotta Jack to get by.

The sucker hurt SO bad that I told Dr. Miles here in town who is the, "Cutter", to do it because I was not going to make it because of the leg pain!

And the f** pain is back again....

pdq67