Timing Degree Tap Installation for 1969 Pontiac 400

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Dboser53
Timing Degree Tap Installation for 1969 Pontiac 400

Post by Dboser53 »

Dear forum,

I am struggling with understanding why the timing degree tape is installed on the damper in a clockwise direction, when the timing degree reference marks ( 0, 4, 8, 12 etc ) are running in a counter clockwise direction. Can anyone help me understand this ? The Pontiac engine rotation is clockwise with the distributor rotating counter clockwise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Timing Degree Tap Installation for 1969 Pontiac 400

Post by Kevin Johnson »

0900c1528004ae10.gif
When the timing light flashes with respect to fixed numbers on the block (above picture) then advanced timing ("before" TDC) numbers need to increase in a counter-clockwise direction. When the numbers are attached to the moving balancer the same flash will illuminate a number growing larger in the clockwise direction.

Focus on the zero and the timing notch on the balancer. Imagine the timing being advanced one degree and think how that new flash would shift the indicated number on the block versus the numbered tape on the balancer.

The MSD picture below might help.
MSD timing tape.gif
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Dboser53
Re: Timing Degree Tap Installation for 1969 Pontiac 400

Post by Dboser53 »

Many many thanks for this post as it has completely cleared up the trouble I was having understanding the difference between the fixed and stationary point.

Don