Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

EMC 2016

Post by Adger Smith »

Let's start an EMC 2016 thread with some good positive information.
I was informed on Friday that during the week after Christmas Lonnie Grim, Steve Dulcich, RJ Sledge and I are going to be "tasked" with going over the rules that upper management has put together for the 2016 EMC. I'm not exactly sure what our marching orders are, but I was told we had to get it done before the January release date.
I was never ask to participate in the original 2016 rules concept, but looks like I might have some final input on them. FYI after the release at PRI I e-mailed a few observations about EMC 2015 and the proposed EMC 2016 rules to the Hot Rod Management team. I guess that I was constructive enough and got a nice "Thank You" and assigned another "Task". So it looks like I'm still working for Hot Rod at EMC 2016.
The notification I got stressed the timely release of the rules.
I do believe in the new process used to manage the event and as only one cog in the wheel I can't control it's direction, but feel like it will be a good event. Some of the other wheel cogs are pretty good guys.
I want to wish Everyone a very Merry Christmas
and hope you have a safe and Happy New Year
Adger Smith
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Re: EMC 2016

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I was at the pri meeting when they announced the rules and I was the only one that said anything. According to my collegues I need to not be so angry when asking things. I wish you were there. Merry Christmas
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I just hope you can do a better job of not being so preposterous about some things that make a bunch of stuff in the proposed rules slanted toward certain engines.

I am glad to know that someone who actually BUILDS engines for a living will be a representative there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

So are you asking for any kind of input in this thread? J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Thanks, Adger,

Locking in the location, dates and days for each class would be a wonderful first step.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

I really like the different class structure&payout/ winner each day.

Of the classes that allowed different makes, which I think was just the big block class, small block spec and vintage class
,how many of those were mopar, buick, olds or pontiac?
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Great to hear that a fair number of the regular folks are still involved. Having some continuity really helps keep things together. A legacy is really important to an event like this in the midst of all the changes these past couple of years.
RAMM wrote:So are you asking for any kind of input in this thread? J.Rob
Even if he does not "want" input - he's gonna get some :D

Although we've been told that the info on these threads does not get legitimate consideration from the rulesmakers, it is very obvious that many of them are reading and following along. This has proven an excellent way to hash out ideas and complaints as a community before sending formal requests and comments to the gentlemen running the show.

As for the proposed rules, I have come to grudgingly accept that the idea of five "winners" is here to stay for at least another year. I know that the extra money is one hell of a good motivator, but still feel that the multiple classes diminish the prestige of the award.

I think we have some good rules to work with overall - see one high risk category, and one clinker. Maybe I will be wrong (I was wrong about the vintage deal), but I don't see a bunch of entries lining up for the Coyote class. And I still expect the nitrous one to be a boom fest - but it should at least be fun to watch.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Barry, Thanks for what I consider some constructive comments about EMC. I think that you are missing something about the event. It has changed in many ways because it's original "Ownership" had a smaller more focused readership. Hot Rod has brought a variety of new readers with varied interests. They have also brought a larger more diverse group of sponsors. My own thought is we will probably see many class changes & event re organizations in the next few years. EMC will evolve & grow under the Hot Rod umbrella of events & publications. As one of the long time supporters of EMC you were a part of the evolution under Popular Hot Rodding. I am not a member of the management team. I am just a guy that works for them & when ask I give them my opinion as well as perform my assigned duties at the event. I can't speak for them, but I can share my personal observations & opinions here with you. I am looking forward to some direction changes with fresh Ideas & concepts for the Hot Rod driven EMC. Adger Smith
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Adger, I think your observation is spot on. I do enjoy following the EMC.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

The problem with "new readers" and "varied interests" is that most every event, show, publication, etc, that tries to cater to "new" and "varied", ends up trying to be way too many things to way too many people. At which point it ends up being "watered down" and appealing to very few at any meaningful level. "All inclusive" is rarely a good idea, and hardly ever works. Appealing to a reasonably sized core group, and then adding some things to pique the interest of some outliers is usually a better approach.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Alan Roehrich wrote:The problem with "new readers" and "varied interests" is that most every event, show, publication, etc, that tries to cater to "new" and "varied", ends up trying to be way too many things to way too many people. At which point it ends up being "watered down" and appealing to very few at any meaningful level. "All inclusive" is rarely a good idea, and hardly ever works. Appealing to a reasonably sized core group, and then adding some things to pique the interest of some outliers is usually a better approach.
I totally agree ... Though, the first people you should make a distinct effort to placate and "buy in", are those potential contestants who are providing you the basis on which these "varied" stories originate.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Maybe if they could "lock in" the simple rules of the compression ratio and bottom end components at PRI I could have started on the short block. When your a broke average Joe like me it takes forever to find sponsoring, used parts, borrowed parts, and penny saving. I'm trying to start a new build but the clock is just ticking by. :( maybe something to consider releasing in the future? C. Henderson
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Hi Adger. Any update on the rules still being on time? The suspense is killing me! When we were kids we were allowed to each open one present on Christmas Eve. Maybe they can post the spec big block part numbers for now! Lol
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

We were going to do a phone conference call about the final rules draft today, but 2 of the group were out of pocket. We rescheduled it for Monday after noon.
It looks like an effort to keep things on a timely basis "IS" being made by everyone involved. It is hard trying to get all the principals linked. I just happened to be with my wife dealing with 2 Dr.s appointments at the appointed time today. She is now cleared and scheduled for her other knee replacement surgery. She had the other one done a few weeks before EMC 2015. About the only hope (early Present) I can give you is In one of the recent E-mails I did get confirmation that Management is listening to feedback. The last 4, Lonnie, RJ, Steve and I, to have a shot at fine tuning the rules were instructed to keep an open mind and try to make this the best EMC. I thought last year went pretty well, but have a few things I would like to see implemented. Remember the last guys to look at these rules are a group of racers, Engine builder and a NHRA Tech Certified guy. I feel We are essentially your representatives in the rules making scheme.
I haven't seen the complete rules draft, but I know we will do our best to keep it a level playing field and a fair competition.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

Thanks Adger! Sounds promising. We wish the Mrs. well with her surgery.