No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 2016

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Carroll wrote:How many classes would everyone like to see next year? JC
No more than three; probably depending upon the amount of entries ... two days of one, two days of another, and one day of the third.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
manyponies

Post by manyponies »

Raceheads.ca wrote:
Two, maybe three classes maximum. Just as in the past, Street and X-treme Street.
Add Vintage if there's enough applicants.
Definitely no 'SPEC' class. It's nice to see many brands of blocks and cylinder heads
that are available to the public, not just brand 'E'
Some circle track classes you have the option to run spec or non spec in the same class. Non spec with a carb handicap. There are good arguments for both spec and non spec classes.
E.R. Racing

Post by E.R. Racing »

I would like to see them go back to a Friday run-off. Puts more excitement into the deal.

I would also like to see more media coverage, as does everyone else. Maybe like live streaming or something along those lines. Hell, an updated website would be a great start.

This event could be popular... but they have to make it popular. Basically the only one's that follow are the die hards.
manyponies

Post by manyponies »

E.R. Racing wrote:I would like to see them go back to a Friday run-off. Puts more excitement into the deal.

I would also like to see more media coverage, as does everyone else. Maybe like live streaming or something along those lines. Hell, an updated website would be a great start.

This event could be popular... but they have to make it popular. Basically the only one's that follow are the die hards.
What he said
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Three would be ideal if they insist on a multi class format. Would like to see Vintage return but I have to wonder if its possible to attract new builds and new blood to that class, or will the same vintage guys re-vamp there builds and keep that class going. Either that or bring back the single class format with cube factor and watch the G3's and CHI heads rule the roost. Ugh on second thought, that really illustrates the need to separate the inline valve wedge heads from the hemi/canted valve heads. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

RAMM wrote:
Three would be ideal if they insist on a multi class format. Would like to see Vintage return but I have to wonder if its possible to attract new builds and new blood to that class, or will the same vintage guys re-vamp there builds and keep that class going. Either that or bring back the single class format with cube factor and watch the G3's and CHI heads rule the roost. Ugh on second thought, that really illustrates the need to separate the inline valve wedge heads from the hemi/canted valve heads. J.Rob
Personally, I always liked having everyone enter the same cubic inch engine as in the contest's first 5 or 6 years or the "spec" classes of the last couple years , (no matter what the brand), to compare "apples to apples" without any kind of factoring.
One class is one size and another a different size.
That way there were some brand laden mini-contests by different competitors within the contest itself.

The easiest way to police the entries in "Vintage" is to keep it to ONE day and get enough entries to where they can pick & choose to only accept those freshly entered engines but, with the promotion of this contest as it is, that probably will never happen.

The rules makers certainly have their work cut out for them to make this a desirable contest again.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Raceheads.ca wrote:
Two, maybe three classes maximum. Just as in the past, Street and X-treme Street.
Add Vintage if there's enough applicants.
Definitely no 'SPEC' class. It's nice to see many brands of blocks and cylinder heads
that are available to the public, not just brand 'E'
In my opinion, "SPEC" classes are not all bad if they are not dictating the BRAND but, only spec tougher restrictions such as actual dimensions, further modifications, intake & exhaust types and materials as is done in some oval track classes. This done on top of the rest of the rules for another class.

That is pretty much like "Street" and "Extreme Street". :wink:

There are lots of ways to go about this; it just needs to be swiftly done and promoted.
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Engine Masters has posted a nice video about vintage class.. It would be nice to have at least one GM entry next year..Mummert headed Y blocks are becoming the CHI head Cleveland of this class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1z7iiBysk
manyponies

Post by manyponies »

That was probably the best video / coverage they have put out in a long time. The side shots with the screen live to the engine is good. Good work Hot Rod.........need more of it. Coverage like that with some revamp of the classes will get this going again!!
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I think everyone would love to see a 348 or 409 in the class. Done well I think they would be a tough competitor. I don't know what the scoop is but I haven't seen any pics or video of SAMS Poly, and that engine is very cool and has a mountain of effort in it.
I know its still early and they have to save something for their magazine issues.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote:I think everyone would love to see a 348 or 409 in the class. Done well I think they would be a tough competitor. I don't know what the scoop is but I haven't seen any pics or video of SAMS Poly, and that engine is very cool and has a mountain of effort in it.
I know its still early and they have to save something for their magazine issues.
I think that POLY had a few magazine articles done about it after last year's contest; there were a few changes this year, though.

Personally, I'd like to see an old Caddy engine which every hot rod in America seemed to prefer in the early 50's or a Nail-head Buick but, that probably won't happen unless they make the rule for iron heads only. :roll:
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

I would be in favor of a iron head rule in vintage at least for a yr or 2 to get some more different engine types.. A full on effort like SAM would pretty much kill the rest of us but i think more normal head and engine prep like most of us do would find several families very close to one another in score. The Y blocks would still be very competitive with Iron heads. Olds Cad and Buick were prominent in the 50's hot rod scene. It would be nice to see what skilled builder can do with them

RB
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I think there have been a lot of good ideas posted, and that many of the classes run over the years have been interesting. But redundancy of existing classes is one of the main things that has made the " Vintage " class such a breath of fresh air.

A class that would accomodate V-6 engines could bring out builders as well as spectators.
No one really wants to admit it but these engines have been the work horses for the last 30 years.
Wether its a mini van, mini truck , base model camaro and mustangs, work trucks, and on and on.
Alot of the types of vehicles young people own.
Limit the 4.3 to the late model Vortec head, everyone else will be dealing with stock heads.
No old NASCAR type parts OEM blocks carbuteted or FI 2500 to 6000 (they're not gonna break the dynos) 10.5: compression. Hyd. rollers or flat tappets.
They have just about no aftermarket support and you would definitley see innovation.
Waking up the sleepy 16-25 year old crowd might help keep hot rodding going.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote:I think there have been a lot of good ideas posted, and that many of the classes run over the years have been interesting. But redundancy of existing classes is one of the main things that has made the " Vintage " class such a breath of fresh air.

A class that would accomodate V-6 engines could bring out builders as well as spectators.
No one really wants to admit it but these engines have been the work horses for the last 30 years.
Wether its a mini van, mini truck , base model camaro and mustangs, work trucks, and on and on.
Alot of the types of vehicles young people own.
Limit the 4.3 to the late model Vortec head, everyone else will be dealing with stock heads.
No old NASCAR type parts OEM blocks carbuteted or FI 2500 to 6000 (they're not gonna break the dynos) 10.5: compression. Hyd. rollers or flat tappets.
They have just about no aftermarket support and you would definitley see innovation.
Waking up the sleepy 16-25 year old crowd might help keep hot rodding going.
The best scenario which can make this contest popular again is out front transparency with promotion, PROMOTION and MORE promotion.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 2016; 2017 base rules

I just got the email notice today that the 2017 rules meeting at the PRI show will be at 2:00 o'clock Friday in room 244.