Windows 10 Upgrade Whether You Want It Or NOT!

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Whether You Want It Or NOT!

Post by JoePorting »

I was reading about that yesterday. Sucks.
Joe Facciano
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I upgraded five computers to Windows 7 Professional so I can block this and still run older programs.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

I suppose this is the right thread for my question. I'm going to get my Wife a new laptop for Christmas. He current laptop has Windows 8 and she hates it. The laptop itself isn't great. To me it seems slow, and it gets hot. It's just a consumer grade model with Windows 8, "home". (I guess it's "home", not sure of the name, it isn't "professional") Based on my experience with laptops I use at work commercial grade equipment is better. Should I get her a laptop with Windows 7 Professional, or a commercial grade unit with Windows 10?
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I would vote for Windows 7 Professional if you still can get it. You can change the system later if you want to.

Oh, the latest indignity...

I purchased a full retail version of an older Adobe program (Acrobat 9 Pro). I was using it to convert old word documents to pdfs. I made the mistake of updating my pdf reader and to thank me it went into the 9 Pro and deleted the ability to convert a number of Windows products. I still have the software and so will need to reload it.

With Windows 7 Professional you can pick and choose what updates you let through and also uninstall them if need be.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

I did the update on my backup laptop and I like it compared to Windows 8.1 which was the previous OS. Seems to be much more intuitive, less draining processor wise. The update did break a couple of things like the fingerprint scanner due to outdated drivers so upgrading an older system should be done with this in mind.

I'm going to hold off updating my business workstation that runs Windows 7 professional because I use SolidWorks for my customers. Supposedly SolidWorks SP5 and SolidWorks 2016 can use Windows 10 but I'm not willing to take that risk until I see more feedback from other users who have taken that leap.

The upgrade icon popped up in the desktop tray next to the clock, it didn't come through as a Windows Update like other security updates.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

There are some pages on the web that will allow you to identify the updates that have already imported Windows 10 into your Windows 7 Professional. To protect your business I would suggest uninstalling them. I do not trust that Microsoft will not accidently-on-purpose perform the upgrade at some point in the future.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Windows 10 Fall Update Uninstalls Desktop Software Without .

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/12/07 ... th-win7-81

> It'll merely be downloaded to your machine

Yup - it did this to me...
On a machine that connects to the internet via a 3G dongle...
With a 500MB/month data plan...

Downloading both win8.1 and 10.0 (without asking) cost us in the region of 150 GBP.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

updates. Since the downloading is done in the background it has not bothered me working at the same time.
In settings/update and security/advanced you can choose to notify you that the machine needs restarted. That should give you the time to save and close anything important.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. When I found out about Windows 10 being forced onto the computer whether I wanted it or not, I turned Windows Update off as described above (it's easy). You can also go Start - Control Panel then in the upper right corner (search box) type "Windows Update" and it will come up.

Computer works well enough for me ... don't need no stinkin update.

I hate Microsoft but I'm stuck with it because software used in industry (autocad, AllenBradley RSLogix, SolidWorks, etc) is all windows based.
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

I did the same.
Just got a "new" Windoze 7 machine with a fresh install.
Turned off updates for all microsoft stuff, and deleted as much as I could.
Hopefully that will be enough.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Latest wonderful extortion attempt...

A number of Microsoft controlled email providers, e.g. Hotmail and Live, are now blocking emails from IP addresses that have not signed on to their scrutiny/approval program, which involves running Windows 10 (to be part-of/use Outlook).

Just wow.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

So I went ahead with the windows 10 upgrade. Use to have 7. Computer seems to run and load websites twice as fast as before, so sofar I'm happy with it. Starts up and shuts down alot faster too.
Joe Facciano
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Does Windows 10 have any games? I can't find any. Wonder if corporations insisted it not have any games so employees don't waste their time playing them. I always enjoyed solitaire. Bummer.
Joe Facciano
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »