Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

A TWO CYCLE Evenrude race V8

Post by Steve Zicht »

Im sure a few of you have heard about this unique engine before. Check out the video if you havent yet.

My question is............ Years ago I distinctly remember seeing an article in one of the car magazines over 25 years past about an outfit in the southern California area that converted a small block Chevrolet into a 2 cycle engine. I dont recall if it was a one of a kind experiment or it was to be offered as a kit or specialty conversion. Then a few years back I saw an article in another magazine about a big block Chevy being converted into a 2 cycle engine. I think it was the same shop who were known for off the wall and very wild experimental engines.

Anybody here recall the name of the company or shop from the 60s and 70s magazine stories and if they still exist today ? I think the story was in Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rodding magazine. Any of you old salts recall the Los Angeles area shops name ?

PS Sorry about the political ad !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoiWpJLokEc
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: A TWO CYCLE Evenrude race V8

Post by miniv8 »

Love everything two stroke.

The sbc and bbc two stroke conversions still must have been valve operated right?
I have seen somewhere on the net, a picture of a odd looking double lobe cam journal, perhaps for an application as this.
To turn 5000 rpm's you'd need springs for 10k, atleast.. I still would like more info.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Nikolas Ojala
Pro
Pro

Post by Nikolas Ojala »

Would it work best if it was a short stroke engine?

(and Diesel or GDCI)
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
– Colin Chapman, design engineer, inventor, and founder of Lotus Cars
stevy

Post by stevy »

The tuned exhaust pipes don't look to be built right.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I have done a bit of thinking about gasoline direct injecting a Gimmie diesel, (no sparkplug), timed in such a way that it wouldn't knock itself to destruction.

This as well as a regular gasoline engine with no intake valves, only exhaust valves because it would be blown and injected through a 3-way sparkplug. High pressure air timed/blown in around the outside "pipe" of the plug, then fuel injected inside the next "pipe" and then a centrally locate conventional sparkplug electrode.

There would be no pumping losses due to being completely blown/supercharged. And the amount of boost could be tailored to fit needed power production or over-ridden for max power...

pdq67
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

pdq67 wrote:I have done a bit of thinking about gasoline direct injecting a Gimmie diesel, (no sparkplug), timed in such a way that it wouldn't knock itself to destruction.

This as well as a regular gasoline engine with no intake valves, only exhaust valves because it would be blown and injected through a 3-way sparkplug. High pressure air timed/blown in around the outside "pipe" of the plug, then fuel injected inside the next "pipe" and then a centrally locate conventional sparkplug electrode.

There would be no pumping losses due to being completely blown/supercharged. And the amount of boost could be tailored to fit needed power production or over-ridden for max power...

pdq67
Thats what R&D is all about. Might work.