Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Holley buys MSD.

Post by Unkl Ian »

Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley buys MSD.

Post by John Wallace »

MSD earlier this year bought Mr. Gasket, Accel and other brands.

Now Holley buys MSD.

Plus they are the suppliers of the Pro Stock EFI.
Now the leading ignition box>

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

John Wallace wrote:MSD earlier this year bought Mr. Gasket, Accel and other brands.

Now Holley buys MSD.

Plus they are the suppliers of the Pro Stock EFI.
Now the leading ignition box>

:?:
I certainly might be wrong but, In my opinion ... MSD over-extended themselves when they bought all those other companies thinking that would be a savior in itself by buying the competition. It just didn't work out that way.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Wasn't Mr. Gasket and Accel owned by Holley to begin with? So I guess they bought them back? Corporate musical chairs I guess.
Joe Facciano
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

JoePorting wrote:Wasn't Mr. Gasket and Accel owned by Holley to begin with? So I guess they bought them back? Corporate musical chairs I guess.
Actually, no ... Prestolite was the previous parent owner before MSD.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Please correct me if I am wrong???

Didn't Edelbrock buy up the rights to make/sell Q-Jets, then Carter AFB/AVS, and possibly the 2G and 2GC's 2-barrels? Don't know about the Thermo-Quads Or old Stromberg 94's and 97's??

I guess that I would like to see SOMEBODY end up with all our old carb's so that they will still be around as long as they don't price them out of reach for most of us.

Same here with Holley acquiring their new product lines as long as they don't shit-can stuff later..

pdq67
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

pdq67 wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong???

Didn't Edelbrock buy up the rights to make/sell Q-Jets, then Carter AFB/AVS, and possibly the 2G and 2GC's 2-barrels? Don't know about the Thermo-Quads Or old Stromberg 94's and 97's??

I guess that I would like to see SOMEBODY end up with all our old carb's so that they will still be around as long as they don't price them out of reach for most of us.

Same here with Holley acquiring their new product lines as long as they don't shit-can stuff later..

pdq67
Good luck with that thought. The last corporate whiz kid that promoted all the buy outs and such made Holley purge all of their parts AND information earlier than 1970.
Was this for the good of the company? Oh hell no. It was all about making the fake bottom line look good to investors and making the whiz kid's golden parachute larger.
Smoke and mirrors. They eventually woke up and canned him. Don't get me started on Sunnen. chuckle

Edelbrock actually bought out the Carter Carb company lock stock and metering rod who was on it's last leg anyway. That was a good thing I think.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Not true on the Carter thing. Or the Holley thing. Other than that you are batting 1000%

Carter as a company was bought out by Federal-Mogul decades ago. F-M kept the fuel pump group but sold carburetor manufacturing rights to Magnetti-Morelli who based the plant in Sanford, South Carolina. The manufacturing sale was predicated on an annual volume commitment from F-M - if they did not sell enough, Morelli was allowed to find other resellers. F-M never knew how to market performance parts and Morelli found Edelbrock who did. Eventually Edelbrock was the sole marketer of that carb, F-M dropped out, Morelli still makes them, and you are where you are today.

Holley retains all of the information for earlier carbs - but probably does not know how to readily access much of it. A lot of the old data is hand written, and was boxed up when they moved from Warren, MI to Kentucky under the leadership of Nick Vandergriff. Most likely this stuff was never scanned or keyed into a PC computer and - as far as any kid born in the past 35 years is concerned - no longer exists because he cannot read it off of his screen. I actually possess a pretty complete copy of the part number assignment book - I photocopied it before putting it into the box. Randy has original orifice box flow sheets for many carbs - it was fun at EMC one year watching some "experts" trying to interpret them while others were listening and learning.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

Watch out for fake, Chinese made, MSD components...

I hope they don't stop making MSD caps and rotors for GM points distributors...