Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

machinedave
Guru
Guru
Metal shavings

Post by machinedave »

In the engine machining business we are always generating metal shavings that get into your skin. The bigger shavings that the boring bar and surfacing machine make are easy to remove with a tweezers but the tiny shavings that the die grinder and the dremel tool make while porting heads are so small that you cannot see them but you sure can feel them every time you touch something. On some occasions I have spent hours trying to remove these shavings. I am curious if anybody has some tips to remove them.
user-23911

Re: Metal shavings

Post by user-23911 »

Filings from the crank grinder grow out over a period of years. You don't even know you've got them in your skin until months afterwards when they start coming out as wet sores. I've tried a strong magnet, doesn't work but I think a lot of it is stone too.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

Kevin Johnson wrote:http://toolguyd.com/how-to-remove-ultra ... s-slivers/ Long discussion.
Those are some good ideas. I hadn't thought about tape or Elmers glue.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

joe 90 wrote:Filings from the crank grinder grow out over a period of years. You don't even know you've got them in your skin until months afterwards when they start coming out as wet sores. I've tried a strong magnet, doesn't work but I think a lot of it is stone too.
I can go outside in the sun and look at my skin and if you look closely it looks like glitter.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

For my sins I seem to spend increasing time around die steels and sinking. The tiny shards that come off the finishing cuts are quite unreal, I've no doubt that with a little effort they could be weaponised .......

What I can't see and pull out with tweezers gets dug out. Sometimes you get lucky and strike gold quickly, other times you end up with a bit of a hole. The size of the possible hole is just weighed up against the size of the irritation.

If you can't see it but can stand it, suffer it for a day or so and you usually get a nice litlle red marker. Aim for the middle.

[Edit: Oh, and to add, one of those little diy multi holder things, one arm to hold a mag glass, the other a small torch, leaving one hand free for tweezers helps tired eyes]
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Try and use rubber gloves as much as possible is ultimately how I solved this problem, but what I use to do all the time, and still do now, is just to wash the area with soap until it falls out. It can take a few minutes, but if you rub the soap into the area that hurts, about 9 times out of 10 the material will come out when you rinse. If you think it's still there, continue washing until you think it falls out. I think the soap and warm water softens up the skin to the point where the material just falls out.

If I get material in my eye, I wash it out with the kitchen sink aerated water. I find that if you let the bubbled water run across your eye ball, the material will usually come out, but many times you have to repeat this procedure until it does come out. If the material is really stuck in my eye, I find using the garden hose turned on low pointed up into my eye works too. Another option is to use the shower spray directed into your eye with the pressure turned down low.

But the real solution is to use better hand and eye protection.

I haven't tried the tape idea. I'll have to try that next time.
Joe Facciano
stilhead

Post by stilhead »

Don't laugh till you try this, but an old machinist remedy is to sand the affected area with 40 to 60 grit sand paper.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

stilhead wrote:Don't laugh till you try this, but an old machinist remedy is to sand the affected area with 40 to 60 grit sand paper.
I will try it out. Thanks.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Yes that helps.
When your splinters start to grow out you'll get a bump with the splinter in it along with fluid. Sandpaper will take the bump off and let the splinter out a bit easier.
Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry »

stilhead wrote:Don't laugh till you try this, but an old machinist remedy is to sand the affected area with 40 to 60 grit sand paper.
My work environment has changed over the years and as such my skin isn't as tough as it used to be! So for my 4>10 slivers a week I do use 180G emery and then Shave across the nub with a 9MM Olfa blade and that frequently pulls them out but many times I need to dig with the blade and a "Lancet" [diabetic test piece]. http://www.onetouch.ca/ultrasoft_lancets I like these because of the snap on cap that way I can use the same one for a year or so. If you can't see them even with your "OptiVisor" http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor and reading glasses [I know it is bad when you require "compound magnification"] Soak your hand in water to rust them so you can see them [vinegar will accelerate this]. Also the colour of the light makes a difference, Daylight is the best for my blindness, I mean my old tired eyes. Nail clippers are pretty useful at grabbing the little suckers too. Harry