Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-re ... p-highway/
Andy Greenberg Security
Date of Publication: 07.21.15.

Time of Publication: 6:00 am.
6:00 am

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/21 ... t-blackhat
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.4 million cars after Jeep hack

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Remote hacking electronic systems in a moving vehicle

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Right!

The Benz the NSA?CIA Reporter was driving that went crazy and crashed into a palm tree and exploded in LA a while back as he told somebody by his cell phone that he thought somebody was out to get him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1377392

I have a real problem with the crash and explosion if the Benz was a diesel car because diesel doesn't usually blow up that I know of..

Sound's like vehicle hacking to me BIG-TIME!!

pdq67
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

As long as any system operates "on line" it CAN be hacked was the message from computer geeks long ago...
The auto companies were told about this and they all disagreed with those warnings saying there had to be a "hard link".

Well ... it has now been PROVEN that a "hard link" is NOT necessary for hacking. Now what...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

Walter R. Malik wrote:As long as any system operates "on line" it CAN be hacked was the message from computer geeks long ago...
The auto companies were told about this and they all disagreed with those warnings saying there had to be a "hard link".

Well ... it has now been PROVEN that a "hard link" is NOT necessary for hacking. Now what...?
It's not that simple.

Early OnStar systems didn't have access to the car's ECU(s). This new stuff, does. That's so the OEM can apply software updates without the owners having to go to a dealership. (In my opinion, it also promotes crappy code quality, but that's another story)

I'm guessing there's a lot more to this story than "remote takeover." Hackers would have to modify an ECU file for the vehicle, flash it, then "see what it does." There won't be people with a Playstation and a Joystick remotely driving the car, more like causing it's software to crash and do something odd. That being said, if you don't want it to happen to your car, easy fix: disable the transceiver on the car. Problem solved.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

What about planes?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

"That being said, if you don't want it to happen to your car, easy fix: disable the transceiver on the car. Problem solved."

And just what/where is it??

I have asked before about shielding it with tinfoil or some sort of "Faraday" cover..

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Tesla Model S Hacked In Low-Speed Driving

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... s-tomorrow
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has come under intense public scrutiny after a pair of hackers took control of a Jeep Cherokee remotely through its Uconnect infotainment system and disabled certain features, including its brakes and transmission.

Publicity around that vulnerability quickly led the company to recall 1.4 million vehicles for a fix, under strong pressure from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Now, it's Tesla's turn.