Takata air bags

Open

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Sun May 24, 2015 3:46 am

Since they are considered a danger, how come there isn't a recall to just disconnect or turn them off or remove them until there are replacements available?
Leaving them activated is like rolling the dice isn't it?

MileHighMan
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:31 am
Location: usa
Contact:

Re: Takata air bags

Postby MileHighMan » Sun May 24, 2015 4:08 pm

exhaustgases wrote:Since they are considered a danger, how come there isn't a recall to just disconnect or turn them off or remove them until there are replacements available?
Leaving them activated is like rolling the dice isn't it?



DO NOT DISSABLE THEM.....The news report I saw,,,I believe was only one out of about 160 air-bags tested deployed wrong....Make an appointment to have it replaced....Dan.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Mon May 25, 2015 7:28 pm

From what I have seen air bags only work good on dead crash dummies with no neck muscles. =D>

User avatar
woody b
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1200
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby woody b » Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 am

exhaustgases wrote:From what I have seen air bags only work good on dead crash dummies with no neck muscles. =D>



I'm not an air bag fan. IMHO the problem with the takata air bags is two fold though. There's no way a dealer or manufacturer is going to disable, or recommend disabling a safety device. A few years ago Ford had a campaign to unplug a cruise control brake switch, that had caused fires on a few vehicles, until replacement switches were available. That just made the cruise control not work. If someone got injured in a wreck, after a manufacturer disabled a safety device the lawsuits would be astronomical.

The big problem is the time required to manufacture the replacement air bags. I read something like 5 years. During the Cobalt ignition switch fiasco we had a BUNCH of people in rental cars. I can't imagine a recall that takes 5 years to complete. If I had a vehicle with takata air bags I'd probably disable them.....but that's just me. I WILL NOT disable air bags for customers, under any circumstance. I work at a GM dealer. As far as I know the only GM vehicles with takata airbags are Pontiac Vibes. (made my Toyota). I'm curious to see how many of them we get. (We were never a Pontiac dealer) If I find out more from GM I'll post it here.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

I tried to search for those famous car test drivers, like the guy with last name Julian? that would do the Volvo off the bridge crash test commercial.
I also remember an American guy that would do 50 plus mph into a solid wall, with only a crash helmet on, not even wearing seat belts let alone an air bag.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7202
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Takata air bags

Postby Kevin Johnson » Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 pm

exhaustgases wrote:I tried to search for those famous car test drivers, like the guy with last name Julian? that would do the Volvo off the bridge crash test commercial.
I also remember an American guy that would do 50 plus mph into a solid wall, with only a crash helmet on, not even wearing seat belts let alone an air bag.


http://www.britishpathe.com/video/dared ... /car+crash Cuckoo !

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:11 am

The guy I was thinking about was more modern, it was 60's or 70's cars he was crashing I think. And he was going into solid walls and other cars too. He was not doing it for a crowd, it was his job.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7202
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Takata air bags

Postby Kevin Johnson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:10 am


exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank you, that is probably him, I wish youtube had some videos of him with no airbag. There is one video with an airbag and the bag wapps him harder than the impact. His head doesn't even move towards the airbag.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:19 am

I've been reading the air bag stuff again. The one thing I find that is very very strange. There is pages and pages of how the propellant "could" be getting wet and how that "May" change how it burns. There is absolutely zero, nothing about the most logical thing of all. The construction and type of material, and thickness of the case that holds the propellant. Of course it turns to shrapnel its only a thin piece of sheet metal. And some of the older ones are made from aluminum, yes, come on what do they expect to happen? Instead of a 1/8 inch if that of steel case, depending on worse case scenario its very likey there needs to be at minimum a 1/2 inch wall thickness with a pressure relief valve. So if they start doing this I guess I can collect royalties on my ideas.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby exhaustgases » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:27 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-c ... s-42952807

Yeah right, not everyone buys a car to just park it. Why is the most logical thing about this air bag crap ignored? Just disconnect it! The whole reason for an airbag is for people that refuse to wear a seat belt. Most all the deaths from these bad bags are super low speed impacts.

And the brainless engineers designing these things have 2 choices, 1 no more high powered type dust in them, 2 a much thicker pressure vessel with a pop off valve for over pressure, its like engineering nowadays is a gathering of brainless know nothings.

Rizzle
Expert
Expert
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: St. Catharines, Ont

Re: Takata air bags

Postby Rizzle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:02 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Yeah right, not everyone buys a car to just park it. Why is the most logical thing about this air bag crap ignored? Just disconnect it! The whole reason for an airbag is for people that refuse to wear a seat belt. Most all the deaths from these bad bags are super low speed impacts.

And the brainless engineers designing these things have 2 choices, 1 no more high powered type dust in them, 2 a much thicker pressure vessel with a pop off valve for over pressure, its like engineering nowadays is a gathering of brainless know nothings.


Uh, no. The airbag is for people who ARE wearing the seatbelt. No seatbelt deactativates the airbag, since the results are worse than no airbag at all.
The failure is something like 2-3% of these bags, the rest deploy fine. They do not recommend disconnecting them last i saw.

Rizzle
Expert
Expert
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: St. Catharines, Ont

Re: Takata air bags

Postby Rizzle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:27 pm

I was short on time for my previous post and didnt have time to verify whether most airbags require seatbelts to be activated. That seems to be incorrect. However, that doesnt change the fact that airbags work with seatbelts, and are not just there for drivers not wearing them. Airbags are also set not to go off below a certain deceleration, basically needing the equivalent of hitting a solid object at 14 mph or more.
See video for slow speed (below airbag deployment threshold) with and without seatbelt, plus high speed collision with airbag deployment and with/without seatbelt.
https://youtu.be/YLCWGcNpY94?t=1m13s

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7289
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Takata air bags

Postby pdq67 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Lets see.....

We used to drive vehicles with SCAREY mechanical drum brakes and then they went to hydraulic drum brakes because they worked better. Next was front PDB's because the drum brakes could fade if pushed to the limits several times.

We used to only have manual steering that was bear to parallel park, so they gave us Power Steering!!

We used to have stick and stick OD trannies so they went with autos! Stick trannies will self brake, but the stick OD ones would free wheel in OD if not mistaken. Same thing with auto trannies, they will free wheel unless you down shift, but even then they might still free wheel. This is where the PDBs come in handy, right??

Now after bumping my head in a panic stop or digging myself as a kid out of the foot well, I can see padded dashes and rounded instrument knobs as well as SEAT-BELTS, but that is about all..... Oh, a collapsible steering wheel column is a good idea here too....

Tire air pressure monitors because people that won't take care of themselves because they are too stupid to make sure their tires are pumped up right!!

Vehicles used to be made STRONG enough and with heavy enough spring steel bumpers that you could take out a telephone pole running 70 mph and only have to worry about the pole coming down on your roof and putting a big dent in it!

Nowadays, vehicles are made so flimsy that they engineer impact "CRUSH ZONES" instead of body strength protection. BUT boy the vehicles sure do get destroyed so then they sell more vehicles in the end!! Vehicle insurance goes up too!!!

As the cost of GOV. mandated SAFETY Reg's continue to grow and who pays the bill all because people don't want to be responsible for their own actions AND our GOV. feeds itself off of that!! As it continues to grow ever bigger, not producing any thing of value that can be sold at a profit to pay its own way!

Sorry, I'm ranting...........

pdq67

Rizzle
Expert
Expert
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: St. Catharines, Ont

Re: Takata air bags

Postby Rizzle » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:19 pm

pdq67 wrote:Lets see.....

We used to drive vehicles with SCAREY mechanical drum brakes and then they went to hydraulic drum brakes because they worked better. Next was front PDB's because the drum brakes could fade if pushed to the limits several times.

We used to only have manual steering that was bear to parallel park, so they gave us Power Steering!!

We used to have stick and stick OD trannies so they went with autos! Stick trannies will self brake, but the stick OD ones would free wheel in OD if not mistaken. Same thing with auto trannies, they will free wheel unless you down shift, but even then they might still free wheel. This is where the PDBs come in handy, right??

Now after bumping my head in a panic stop or digging myself as a kid out of the foot well, I can see padded dashes and rounded instrument knobs as well as SEAT-BELTS, but that is about all..... Oh, a collapsible steering wheel column is a good idea here too....

Tire air pressure monitors because people that won't take care of themselves because they are too stupid to make sure their tires are pumped up right!!

Vehicles used to be made STRONG enough and with heavy enough spring steel bumpers that you could take out a telephone pole running 70 mph and only have to worry about the pole coming down on your roof and putting a big dent in it!

Nowadays, vehicles are made so flimsy that they engineer impact "CRUSH ZONES" instead of body strength protection. BUT boy the vehicles sure do get destroyed so then they sell more vehicles in the end!! Vehicle insurance goes up too!!!

As the cost of GOV. mandated SAFETY Reg's continue to grow and who pays the bill all because people don't want to be responsible for their own actions AND our GOV. feeds itself off of that!! As it continues to grow ever bigger, not producing any thing of value that can be sold at a profit to pay its own way!

Sorry, I'm ranting...........

pdq67


Ahh, old timers ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

And yet, the belair is heavier.

Taking out the other object only works if its not something bigger than you. Oncoming suv, truck, transport, bridge pole, etc, they dont follow that idea.
Seatbelt might prevent you from ending up becoming one with the steering wheel, but the airbag prevents your head from pivoting into the nearby objects.

Crumple zones are areas fore and aft of the passenger compartment. Anything in the middle is built as strong as they can within reason.

But, like always, you're just going to keep spouting your ignorance without reading the counterpoints.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest