Helmet Forced Air System(s)

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Bram Stroker

Helmet Forced Air System(s)

Post by Bram Stroker »

I am looking at a forced air helmet system (already have the helmet, Bell BR1). I wanted to ask those that use a FA system which they use and why. Or if they have any advice or pros and cons?

There is the ALLSTAR ALL13020 one for $175 and comes with filter and everything. Their equipment is known for quality.

Or the coolshirt one (135 or 235 cfm choices) @ $120

PCI from pciraceradios , the single one @ $140

Or the TRU-AIR from speedwaymotors. Which has a two speed setup (which I like) and no idea if the others do. @ $100

Only the coolshirt gave cfm ratings.

Some say the motor inline (like the coolshirt style) tends to add heat to the air (since the motor is in the airflow) and also transmit the noise of the motor into the helmet (sounds plausible?).

So, just thought I'd post and see what experienced users of FA prefer and why.

Thanks.
youngfg
Re: Helmet Forced Air System(s)

Post by youngfg »

I had the two speed blower from Speedway.
It had two speeds, low, and really low. In the car you couldn't tell if it was on.
I use a helmet blower for endurance roadracing, our races are at least seven hours long, I wanted cold air in my face, so I built my own.

I got a blower from the rear air of a Chrysler mini van, about 2003 year model, and 3d printed adapters to make it work.
I used respirator filters so it filters out the fumes from other cars. I ran the air through a aluminum tube in my cool suit cooler.
I have ran a race in 106 degree heat before and it was cooler in the car than outside, it make a huge difference for longer races.

https://gfyracing.wordpress.com/2014/07 ... -adapters/

Bram Stroker

Re: Helmet Forced Air System(s)

Post by Bram Stroker »

Appreciate the input but I don't have time to give to a task this basic. Too many other pressing matters on the car list right now. For now just buying one of these and putting it in the car is the most I have slated for this build task. Looks like your home-made one works well for you though. Congrats.