Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 2015 Rules

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Adger Smith wrote:Mark, Of all people you should know---- Wesleyism rule # 2 The rules are written in Black and White. There is no Grey! LOL!
All jokes aside, overall I am going to be tougher on the SFI and the parts purchase trail. You might need to bring invoices where you bought your parts. That is Esp. true for some classes.

BUY...?
What about gifts with no invoice what-so-ever...?
OR, SFI and other parts which are 15 or so years old...?

Just the way I like it ... if it ain't written, it ain't so. Punctuation is also very important to any sentence structure and its overall meaning.
NO making up things on the fly or discussions about what was actually meant. (After all ... these are 'journalists" in charge of these rules and they above all people should know the written language necessities).
I think I might need to bring a 6th grade ENGLISH LANGUAGE text book.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Adger Smith wrote:Mark, Of all people you should know---- Wesleyism rule # 2 The rules are written in Black and White. There is no Grey! LOL!
All jokes aside, overall I am going to be tougher on the SFI and the parts purchase trail. You might need to bring invoices where you bought your parts. That is Esp. true for some classes.

BUY...?
What about gifts with no invoice what-so-ever...?
OR, SFI and other parts which are 15 or so years old...?

Just the way I like it ... if it ain't written, it ain't so. Punctuation is also very important to any sentence structure and its overall meaning.
NO making up things on the fly or discussions about what was actually meant. (After all ... these are 'journalists" in charge of these rules and they above all people should know the written language necessities).
I think I might need to bring a 6th grade ENGLISH LANGUAGE text book.
The rule starts with a capital and ends with a period! :D :wink:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Enforcing the rules is a whole other can of worms. "must use Comp lifters". Have you ever seen a "Comp" lifter with an actual part number on it? You could run any lifter you wanted and show the receipt for a similar "Comp" lifter and there isn't any part number to prove otherwise. Dumb rule #1

You should never make rules you can't enforce.

I retract this statement. I forgot that Comp stamps a little part number in the oil band area. It's been a while since I used any of their crap. (not that you couldn't print a good lifter with that part number)
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Ultra secret picture of Jon kaase's entry for the 2015 EMC. Looks like it is still in the development stage and a early Ford V8 to fit in with the vintage V8 class.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

900HP wrote:

I forgot that Comp stamps a little part number in the oil band area. It's been a while since I used any of their crap. (not that you couldn't print a good lifter with that part number)
No number on the .875" diameter Ford Comp Cams Hydraulic Lifters which I have here ... which I got around 1994 in a full tray.

That is exactly what I am talking about .... there are NO parts age limits written anywhere within this rules package.

However, if you run a 20 year old camshaft, you might not be very competitive. :-k
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

I guess they saw some error in their ways as the rod journal diameter requirement for the "spec small block" class just changed to now allow a 2.000" minimum diameter rod throw. :-"

This "after" I have got a couple hundred dollars already invested in having a welded stroker crank made. ](*,)
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

kid7755 wrote:UPDATE: I just got an email saying there is no application deadline. They will be accepting applications up until a week before the competition. Good for me. Now we have time to toss some ideas around. Might even be there this year again without my now illegal SBC that would require a completely new build.
I thought we were still supposed to get an "accepted entries" list by the 30th?
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
900HP wrote:

I forgot that Comp stamps a little part number in the oil band area. It's been a while since I used any of their crap. (not that you couldn't print a good lifter with that part number)
No number on the .875" diameter Ford Comp Cams Hydraulic Lifters which I have here ... which I got around 1994 in a full tray.

That is exactly what I am talking about .... there are NO parts age limits written anywhere within this rules package.

However, if you run a 20 year old camshaft, you might not be very competitive. :-k
Morel has no numbers on the lifters. None. Should I save and bring the container?
Survival Motorsports

JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Where did you see the rule change for the crank size?
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Is this it ?

"CRANKSHAFT
Any commercially available forged or cast steel or cast iron crankshaft permitted.
Billet crankshafts prohibited. Crankshaft must retain production rod and main journal
diameter for claimed engine with maximum tolerance of 0.035” under standard
production journal diameters allowed."

https://image.adam.automotive.com/f/101 ... 015_5_.pdf

I don't see a recent revision date.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JonKaase wrote:Where did you see the rule change for the crank size?
It was emailed to me, Jon. Maybe because I entered that class.

small block spec class
304 - CRANKSHAFTS
Any available forged or cast steel or cast iron crankshaft permitted. Billet crankshafts prohibited. Minimum rod journal specification of 2.000-inch with a maximum tolerance of .035" under the 2.000-inch specification allowed.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Sat May 02, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Barry_R wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:
900HP wrote:

Morel has no numbers on the lifters. None. Should I save and bring the container?
I don't think your class has a "spec" allowable lifter, Barry.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Problem there is I don't know if I "have a class" yet.
( I know that I don't have any class - that was predetermined a long time ago...)

With the most recent email communication that the entries would be open until the week before the contest, they also mentioned that the most popular categories were vintage and big block. With only +/-8 possible slots it would sure feel better if I knew that I had a green light to move forward. It'd really stink to be number "nine" after tossing 20 grand down the rabbit hole on a radical engine.
Survival Motorsports

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Barry_R wrote:Problem there is I don't know if I "have a class" yet.
( I know that I don't have any class - that was predetermined a long time ago...)

With the most recent email communication that the entries would be open until the week before the contest, they also mentioned that the most popular categories were vintage and big block. With only +/-8 possible slots it would sure feel better if I knew that I had a green light to move forward. It'd really stink to be number "nine" after tossing 20 grand down the rabbit hole on a radical engine.
I figure, the Big Block class is the only one your FE's are legal to compete, ( I could be wrong), as they have tamed it down a LOT from what they were saying at PRI.
That email did say it is a class where they have gotten the most entries, though.
There are ONLY 6 contestants per class proposed and I was told it has to do with the need for tearing down 10 engines, (2 per day), instead of just 5 total.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

People...
If you have questions, don't ask them here if you actually expect REAL answers. Getting WRITTEN email communication is all that matters to them when any ruling comes up for debate.

I have sent more than 10 questions into questions@emginemasters.com and have gotten REAL answers to my questions which is all that counts.