No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

lada ok
Guru
Guru

CHROME on my computer

Post by lada ok »

I don't know heaps about computers,... ok , almost zero
I had a virus of sorts ... Delta .com, I couldn't get rid of it. In the end I used an online virus clean up
' Nek minute ' I end up with a completely different format for my bookmarks page etc, how can I get back to my orginal set up ?
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Re: CHROME on my computer

Post by Unkl Ian »

Completely guessing here, maybe System Restore ?

Tried Chrome, didn't like it.
Still can't delete it completely from my machine.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

If you're using Chrome and have a Google account it just requires that you A: sign in, and B: go into the browser settings and use the advanced sync option.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

engineczar wrote:If you're using Chrome and have a Google account it just requires that you A: sign in, and B: go into the browser settings and use the advanced sync option.
OK I'll try,
I have OPERA also set up here, I might delete CHROME and see.

What engine / browser do others use ? ....... All I want is my book marks to be listed and not a page full of pictures !!!
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Is their an option in Chrome, to change the format of how bookmarks are displayed ?
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Unkl Ian wrote:Is their an option in Chrome, to change the format of how bookmarks are displayed ?
Beats me ! someone will know
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

If you want bookmarks to look like the rest of the world look up Tidy Sidebar.
The built in chrome list sucks I imo.

Get a real virus program. Those download things are usually sell up scams and create more havoc than they fix.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

Unkl Ian wrote:Is their an option in Chrome, to change the format of how bookmarks are displayed ?

open a new tab and cut and paste this into the URL bar

chrome://flags/#enhanced-bookmarks-experiment

On the first one at the top where it says "enable enhanced bookmarks" Change the dropdown from default to disabled

After you do that a "relaunch now" button will appear at the bottom. Hit it and restart Chrome. The old bookmarks manager will be there.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

engineczar wrote:

open a new tab and cut and paste this into the URL bar

chrome://flags/#enhanced-bookmarks-experiment

On the first one at the top where it says "enable enhanced bookmarks" Change the dropdown from default to disabled

After you do that a "relaunch now" button will appear at the bottom. Hit it and restart Chrome. The old bookmarks manager will be there.
Thanks mate, ... i'll try it
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

IANAE but if you like what you had before I can't see how a simple 'system restore', as suggested, wouldn't be easiest, after cleaning. MSRT usually gets it done (MS OS), if not Mbam. As it's only been a few days since, I'd just suck up the losses. JMO.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

BCjohnny wrote:IANAE but if you like what you had before I can't see how a simple 'system restore', as suggested, wouldn't be easiest, after cleaning. MSRT usually gets it done (MS OS), if not Mbam. As it's only been a few days since, I'd just suck up the losses. JMO.
your talking to an absolute plonker BC J, You'll have to go slow and explain what all those things are

I'd get my boy down to fix it, ... but because it's not involved with 3 D graphics --- no go !!
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Apologies....

I'll presume you're running Windows, so download the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool' (MSRT) free and directly from Microsoft (it updates monthly or so, keep downloading the latest version each time you clean in future) and run it. It should remove most things causing a problem. Then do a 'System Restore' to a random point just before your 'problem' started. You will lose any files, or other data between then and when you do a SR, so back up anything important prior, but you might possibly skip this.

Failing that, some people swear by Malwarebytes, and I've found it works well, but so has MSRT and it's 'OE'. Repeat SR to a slightly earlier point.

At the risk of opening a debate, I only run MS Security Essentials. Tried most other AVs and am more than happy with 'just' that. Absolutely no issues with sensible browsing. Barely slows the computer either.......

Also....

If you browse, possibly 'less secure' sites, you might be as well to get another old PC (maybe running XP) and replace the OS with 14.04 LTS. If you observe the online advice, it's about as armour plated as most of us need, but requires a bit more user input. You can run it in tandem with Windows but I just have one OS on each computer. For pennies upgrade the RAM with some used online auction stuff, 1Gb is enough, 2gb is better, and for less than a good night out, you doubled your options.

JMO, normal 'internet advice' caveats apply, lol.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

If you want to uninstall a program, click the bottom start button, go in control panel, go into programs uninstall, select the program you want to uninstall, and uninstall it.
Joe Facciano
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Ta chaps, bloody good info there !
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

JoePorting wrote:If you want to uninstall a program, click the bottom start button, go in control panel, go into programs uninstall, select the program you want to uninstall, and uninstall it.

That doesn't remove ALL of Chrome.
There are still changes in the Registry that don't get undone. #-o