Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: Windows 10 Preview Release Build 9841

Post by ijames »

Ken, if you are interested in computer security you probably already know about the risks mailing list, but if not you can read it at www.risks.org. Recently there was a note on windows 10 and wifi security you might find interesting:

---
Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends

Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:03:00 -0700*The Register* via NNSquad
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... _fi_sense/

In an attempt to address the security hole it has created, Microsoft
offers a kludge of a workaround: you must add _optout to the SSID (the
name of your network) to prevent it from working with Wi-Fi Sense. (So if
you want to opt out of Google Maps and Wi-Fi Sense at the same time, you
must change your SSID of, say, myhouse to myhouse_optout_nomap.
Technology is great.) Microsoft enables Windows 10's Wi-Fi Sense by
default, and access to password-protected networks are shared with
contacts unless the user remembers to uncheck a box when they first
connect. Choosing to switch it off may make it a lot less useful, but
would make for a more secure IT environment.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Ken,
My main machines has that offer for free 10 and the acceptance date is nearing.
Free is good but 7 is working well and I'm hesitant to make that jump.
Bit spooked about messing up current non MS programs.
What is your feeling on this since you have been flogging it for a while?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I built a custom top fuel computer a couple of years ago so I am confident on the hardware side.
Just concerned about programs. no games

Leasing. Read through all that. The only mention of pricing is similar to what you pay for it off the shelf currently.
It does not clarify if that is a one time buy or a yearly. If yearly it's going to have to be single welfare mother cheap.

Do you have any more insight into the pricing deal. One time or yearly, yada yada.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Well some things don't change. I took a brave pill last Friday night and did the upgrade install.
Went smoothly. I gave it a hard workout and everything seemed to be working.
By Monday afternoon it kicked the rods out.
Printers won't print, solid big name programs locking up, etc. I assume this all happened with the updates that followed.
Looked around the net for clues and fixes. Didn't find much other than the usual whiner bloggers.
Screwed around with it until late in the night trying restores and whatever they allowed me to fiddle with.
No joy so I walked away from it.
Came in at 5 this morning. Took one last shot and gave up. Converted it back to 7 and I am back in business.

I did see a couple of things that were a little nicer and it did seem a little quicker reacting.
I don't know what Metro thought this color scheme is neat but really it looks like the early days of computing to me. Bland and childlike.
They managed to bury some features even deeper like device manager.
Making the control panel appear more slim only makes you click through a whole mess of things to find what you need.
Devices and printer section does nothing or is incomplete. Just gives you a list. No properties, no current status, etc. Pretty sad.

I will try it again in a few weeks after they fix all the screw ups from the updates.
Watching the internet should tell me when the time is right.
I just won't screw around with it next time. Everything must function immediately or back to 7 it goes.
Heck I ran XP until it reached an impasse with some things so I think I can spread out longer with 7.

Did the wife's computer also. It was 8.1 so it will be interesting to see if the same issues happen.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I always use the classic look/shell. Some things do just work without all the lipstick on a pig mentality.
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

How do I get back to Windows 8?

10 is awful.

Deleting temp files is a real pain in the ass and some of them stay..

Music sounds horrible.

Typing text changes without consent..

8 was so much better...
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

I up-dated from W8 to W10. Same s**t, different pile. :roll:
Neither one of them can hold a candle to XP.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

FYI
My issues turned out to be a failing motherboard. It just happened to be a coincidence that it occurred as I was evaluating 10.
After replacing and rebuilding I got the brave pills out and gave 10 another go. I figured we were going to be stuck with it so......
So far a month later no big problems.
Using the classic style. The biggest first, what were they thinking issue to overcome was the gray on gray color scheme. yuk. zero contrast.
I could not see half of what was supposed to be there in the menus on most of my programs. The fonts happened to be white.
I had to go to a dark version to get everything to show up.

They certainly make you work harder to get to the workings, like device manager, etc. It is still there but buried. Easiest thing to do is to open settings and use the search field to bring something up rather than hunting, pecking and grumbling.
stevy

Post by stevy »

pitts64 wrote:How do I get back to Windows 8?

10 is awful.

8 was so much better...

Yep 10 is awful, 8 was so much better and it sucked, 7 sucked less, and XP ....well at least they got one right in all their tries at making an OS over the last 30 years or so. XP is not the most powerful and it won't do somethings that 7, 8 and 10 do, but XP is the only one that does not suck = common knowledge.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Bought a new computer today with Windows 10. Seems to run really slow for some reason. Also seems to be full of ads. I guess that how Microsoft plans on making money in the future, make Operating Systems with a bunch of ads.

Also noticed the new "Edge" internet program doesn't have a home page icon. wtf. I guess they want to force you to go to msn.com.

They also seemed to have moved things around for no reason.

Maybe I'll like it after a few weeks, but so far it seems to suck. Liked my Windows 7 better. Can I load Windows 7 or 8 on a new computer?
Joe Facciano
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Joe,
Go through and clean out the junk. Uninstall all the garbage programs that come with computers. Especially any virus protection programs. Install what you like.
Dig around the settings and shutoff what you don't want. It will start speeding up. A laptop I purchased recently was the same way. ALso keep it connected to the net for a while. Microsoft will be updating it quite a bit. That will also help.

I just discovered that like previous versions it can't read help files written in programs with Microsoft's own win32.hlp. They eventually got around to fixing that for earlier versions but who knows how long it will take for them to do it for 10.

I didn't care for Edge or IE. Firefox and thunderbird for me.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Thanks Dave. I'll have to try that out. I tried defragging it today, seemed to help alittle. What I was noticing today is that each web page under Edge seems to be twice as long as before. I think it's just full of ads. Seems to run faster the more I use it. So maybe it's downloading stuff in the background. See what happens.
Joe Facciano
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Thanks Ken. I turned off a lot of stuff so hopefully it'll run faster. Also noticed Internet Explorer is still on here, so I'll use that instead of Edge.
Joe Facciano
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I have Firefox on my other computer. It seems to work okay but has lots of ads popping up all the time. Maybe there's a pop up blocker I'm not using. I just use Firefox when I want to add items to my favorite menu or print stuff. For some reason this other computer lost it's ability to add favorite items on the internet explorer and doesn't print. :x
Joe Facciano
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

FF is my default also, followed by Chrome and then Opera, for what I do, on Windows. Having not used IE for some time I had reason to use a third browser a couple months back, opened it up in IE, struglled with it (page loading time) for a day or two, gave up and downloaded Opera, which flies. There are plenty of other browsers out there, some quite lightweight, than limp on with something that doesn't work for you.

On 14.04 preferred is again FF, followed by Epiphany, then Chrome, again for what I do.

Whatever system you're on, go into the 'settings', and into 'advanced settings' also, and set it up to your preferences. It may take half hour or so but is worth it. Automatic settings to change for me are 'Flash click to play' and 'no third party cookies' etc etc. Make one change at a time, and write it down as you go if you're unsure, but it's not the difficult, lol even I can do it.

Housekeeping is equally important, clear out the caches etc. Go into 'clear browsing history', set it so you 'clear everything from the beginning of time', or however it's stated. Once every day or two is best, at least weekly if you're lazy.

Search engines are another issue. My default now is DuckDuckGo, but very occasionally I have to revert to a more mainstream choice to pick other things up, as is the nature of SEs. JMO