BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Dave Braswell
Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by Dave Braswell »

The inertia dyno will be the closest thing to real world on track testing. The acceleration forces on the carburetor (both forward and laterial) are the only things missing. This is a very important factor, but is not practical for this contest. The inertia weight load will have to be adjusted to match the real world ramp rate for the two different motors. The carburetor that runs the best in this contest will accelerate the best on the race track. The driveability of the carburetors tested can't be quantified and as such may not be the fastest on the stop watch for lap time. They will be the best down the straightaway though. The carburetor that show the best on the drag race motor will run the best on the race track. This is providing there are no issues with the float bowl / metering system under dynamic conditions.

I find it very disappointing that the many of the people and companies that are the most boastful in printed advertising and on the internet don't have the scrotum content to enter this contest. I think this is a factor that a potential carburetor purchaser should seriously consider. There are cases where financial hardship is a factor. The example set by RayJe is very inspiring, while he can't attend for many reasons he is sending his carburetor(s) to be run in the contest anyway. To me this show great confidence in ones product.

Dave
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

Dave Braswell wrote: I find it very disappointing that the many of the people and companies that are the most boastful in printed advertising and on the internet don't have the scrotum content to enter this contest. I think this is a factor that a potential carburetor purchaser should seriously consider.

Dave
I agree completely
especially I bought one a carb from an unnamed person and felt the performance was lack luster.
I would at least like to see the handy work displayed in a contest like this to know it was not just my inability to fine tune it...
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Here is a little taste of handywork. It's a billet Dominator body made by BLP. Just a taste. :mrgreen:

I have to agree as well, missing a couple important contestants that said they would participate, and a couple more that should. Time to put up or....
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

[quote="jmarkaudio"]Here is a little taste of handywork. It's a billet Dominator body made by BLP. Just a taste. :mrgreen:

Be very careful Mark you might find yourself running with more than 2 circuits.

Dave
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

I like what Dave Braswell said.
I find it interesting that the carb / nitrous manufacturer that boasted most about quality control went bankrupt primarily because their quality control sucked, we need truth in advertising and event like the one here are just what the doctor ordered, also as Dave stated about a guy’s confidence to send in his entry is one thing but also his willingness to see where he stands so he knows where he needs improvement is another thing all together.
A mans will to grow is shown by his courage to take on a challenge; there are no loser’s among those who step up to the plate.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

This one is big enough, it will have three circuits available. How much I use if I need and how it's fed are another story... 8) Now the small engine carb will be two circuit. :wink: Still, a very nice job by BLP on the machine work. Once I fit the boosters I'll have it anodized.
Mark Whitener
____

Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Dave Braswell wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:Here is a little taste of handywork. It's a billet Dominator body made by BLP. Just a taste. :mrgreen:

Be very careful Mark you might find yourself running with more than 2 circuits.

Dave
Haha lol. Damn I almost choked on my breakfast. Hey Mark are you building that main body for the 4500 shoot out? Just wondering, Why would you color something that looks that good.

http://www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I've been watching this and eagerly anticipate the shootout. An extremely cool deal.

As a regular EMC participant I can truly appreciate the "put up or shut up" nature of the event, along with the inherent risks to participants. It takes a set of stones to enter the contest. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not entering, but somebody willing to show up and put out should give a consumer good reason to consider them as a supplier. You cannot win any race from a seating position in the bleachers.

About the only thing I would add is that Holley should be a "forced participant". They are truly the mothership that everything else evolved from, and their latest commercial offerring should be considered as a baseline for the contest. There is no downside risk for Holley - after all - if a more expensive and exotic custom carb cannot outperform a box stock part - what's the point? At the same time it would put a reference in place for the observers - "its this much better than a box stock carb....and costs this much more...is it worth it to go custom?
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I see that Holley is already in there - my fault for missing that page in this thread - lots of reading and early in the morning...

Carry on.....
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Barry_R wrote:I've been watching this and eagerly anticipate the shootout. An extremely cool deal.

As a regular EMC participant I can truly appreciate the "put up or shut up" nature of the event, along with the inherent risks to participants. It takes a set of stones to enter the contest. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not entering, but somebody willing to show up and put out should give a consumer good reason to consider them as a supplier. You cannot win any race from a seating position in the bleachers.

About the only thing I would add is that Holley should be a "forced participant". They are truly the mothership that everything else evolved from, and their latest commercial offerring should be considered as a baseline for the contest. There is no downside risk for Holley - after all - if a more expensive and exotic custom carb cannot outperform a box stock part - what's the point? At the same time it would put a reference in place for the observers - "its this much better than a box stock carb....and costs this much more...is it worth it to go custom?
I couldn't agree with you any more. This shoot out will help the guys out that are trying to get there name out there. And who know's maybe a no name carb builder does really well he might get the attention of a shop like your's. That would be interrested in giving him a shot with there engine program or even with there EMC engine. For a carb builder that doesn't have a well known name in the buisness this is perfect. Then again some company's pay big money for advertisement and
they think that is all that they need. Which is fine as long as they can back it up.

And that is why I told Mike and Rick at BLP. To sign me up because I want to see were I stand among the elite in the business. If I get my teeth kicked in that's fine but at least I tried. And I will go home and do my home work. And come back next year.

DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Robbie wrote;

And that is why I told Mike and Rick at BLP. To sign me up because I want to see were I stand among the elite in the business. If I get my teeth kicked in that's fine but at least I tried. And I will go home and do my home work. And come back next year.

==================================================================================================================================

This is the right attitude ! The shops that do not place in the elite 8 in this contest will be back the next year with avengence ! This is the perfect testing ground for any serious carburetor builder. This is exactly why I concieved this ' carburetor olympics ' on the very first page of this thread clearly describing what I had envisioned for years. Mike Laws and Rick Cole had the clear vision and the resources to actually organize this Shoot Out on my basic idea and had the ways and means to make this contest a reality and refined it to be even better.

Theres going to be plenty of ' positive ' publicity for the contestants that show up and with a very distinguished list of media showing up to Orlando, every contestant will have the ' golden ' oppertunity to meet people and make important connections to futher their own PR and create new friendships !

As for the shops that have been reluctant to enter the contest at all, you need to show up ! If your product is inferior to anothers by just a little or alot, find out by how much and go back to the drawing board and work bench to improve your product and KICK #SS next year !

All the competitors will be competing on the ' SAME ' platform !!!! The carburetor shops could not ask for a more ideal scenario for a carburetor competition with these pre arranged and officiated conditions. David Vizard will carefully monitor both engine Shoot Outs to ensure fairness as the event steward !

As for the shops that still prefer not to respond to their official Shoot Out invitation, my personal opinion only, you will loose out on the greatest oppertunity that you will ever have. Think about all the positive things you will miss out on even if you dont place in the top eight. Then think about all you could possibly loose as a whole. Its a no brainer !

YOU DONT NEED TO WIN A TROPHY TO COMMAND ADMIRATION AND RESPECT ! If you cant figure that out on your own, maybe you shouldnt attend after all. SZ
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Robbie DeVane wrote:
Dave Braswell wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:Hey Mark are you building that main body for the 4500 shoot out? Just wondering, Why would you color something that looks that good.
It would be interesting to run it on the small engine, and I'll start it up on my 427 to run it in, but it's a bit big for that. I'll just say it's bigger than the QF 1450. I'm anodizing to protect the finish, and will possibly look at a gold finish or may just clear anodize it.
Mark Whitener
____

stilhead

Post by stilhead »

In my humble opinion, only those builders who choose not to participate will be losers. Were there any "losers" at the EMC?, No! In every Cup race there is only one winner, there are forty-two "losers". It's easy to talk the talk, the people who try and put forth the effort are the ones who earn respect. Come on guys, bury the ego's and come and have some fun.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

stilhead wrote:In my humble opinion, only those builders who choose not to participate will be losers. Were there any "losers" at the EMC?, No! In every Cup race there is only one winner, there are forty-two "losers". It's easy to talk the talk, the people who try and put forth the effort are the ones who earn respect. Come on guys, bury the ego's and come and have some fun.
Guys:

stilhead has donated $200 toward the Shootout which will be distributed to the winners. Thank you.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Barry_R wrote:I've been watching this and eagerly anticipate the shootout. An extremely cool deal.

WE (BLP) will be providing the baseline carb's for both engines/shootouts.

Holley did not need to be forced into this - they jumped onboard. And I doubt if they (or anyone else) will be bringing a stock, out of the box carb for the shootout. Can't blame them either. :wink:

Mike
Mike Laws Performance