BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

nomad

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by nomad »

I've noticed that there a few internet carb denizens I expected to see paid up are not.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Has Willys carb and dyno shop in Mt. Carmel Ill. showed any interest?

DD
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

If you go back to page # 22 of this thread, you will see the last list of shops that were contacted by Braswell and myself. Thus far, only 10 shops have signed up to date. Either their will be a last minute rush of Shoot Out entries or theres going to be alot of big name shops who will not attend for one reason or another. I hope that there has been more Shoot Out entries that have contacted BLP in the last few weeks since Mike Laws posted the last updated list. We still have some weeks to go but Im sure that the contacted shops have figured out by now if they will attend or not.

Im hoping for about 20 shop entries total. SZ
Doug Kennedy

Post by Doug Kennedy »

I wonder why, Ken jones is in it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Alright I have been watching this for a while. And I would like to know from the guy that advertise's, that he has the fastest carb's out there. Is he going to be getting into the 4150 class for the shoot out ? If not why, I know that he does 4150 because I've seen them and they run good. I can also understand why he doesn't want to enter his new style carb since he is still working the bug's out of it. That shouldn't stop him from doing a regular style dominator for the 4500 shoot out. With a big name like that, and the amount of customer's that he has. I think he should.

Troy Patterson are you in or what ? I would like to see how I would stand up next to some your stuff. Myself I think I can bust your webber power plate's. So with that be said please come to the shoot out and prove me wrong. This would be good for you to redeem yourself after what happen with the guy in texas. You are one of the biggest name's on this board for giving advice. So what do you say, are you coming or do you have something else to do that is bigger than this.

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Not just Troy. Alot of shops that were contacted about the Shoot Out have yet to sign up. Just days left to go before blast off ! Whats with the other shops ? Any know of any updated info ? SZ
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Come On Troy, I want you to change my opinion about you. Just showing up would go along way in doing that.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

banjo wrote:Come On Troy, I want you to change my opinion about you. Just showing up would go along way in doing that.
This is not a shyt kickin contest so why the BS post?

Keep this between you and Troy and please don't start shyt and get this post shut down as other's have!!!!! [-X
GURU is only a name.
Adam
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

It wasn't a BS post, I am serious as a heart attack, just as robbie devane stated, It would go along way to redeem himself along with all the builders that said they would go and now seem to be backing out. I can now accept the fact that maybe I just had a bad experience with him. This competition will show what he is really capable of. No where in my post have I attacked or insulted him. If he showed, I would definitely give him more credit.

I will re frame from any further comments if it makes you feel better
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

banjo wrote:
I will re frame from any further comments if it makes you feel better
Not about me! Just everyone involved if you can understand. Adam
GURU is only a name.
Adam
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Steve Zicht wrote: Alot of shops that were contacted about the Shoot Out have yet to sign up. Just days left to go before blast off ! Whats with the other shops ? Any know of any updated info ? SZ
IMO if there are 10 competitors and company X finishes 10th, it still doesn't look too bad on them, its a top 10 finish and a lot of other names didn't feel inclined to show up. If there are 20 competitors, 10 of them will have to finish in the bottom 10. Finishing 20th is not all that great and may or may not have a negative impact on their business. If there are 50 competitors a lot of people are going to finish in the bottom. 40 of them are not going to finish in the top 10 no matter how you slice it and it could very well have a negative impact on some companies. Obviously the consumer wants to know how it all stacks up, but to be fair no company wants to lose any customers in this economy, so if they aren't certain that they can add to their customer base by entering the shootout, they won't enter. With 10 competitors they will likely all add to their customer base. Just my take on it, but maybe there will be more shops sign up at the last minute. Should be an interesting shootout in any event.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Robbie DeVane wrote:Alright I have been watching this for a while. And I would like to know from the guy that advertise's, that he has the fastest carb's out there. Is he going to be getting into the 4150 class for the shoot out ? If not why, I know that he does 4150 because I've seen them and they run good.www.devanecarbs.com

Because I think he's afraid of the outcome...
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

Darin Morgan wrote:The differences between Dyno power and on the race track power and tuning are well understood by many engine builders in Pro Stock, Comp or any other class utilizing normally aspirated engines operating at ultra high engine speeds. The dyno will strait out LIE to you. On the dyno with a controlled acceleration rate you can put big carbs, big plenum volumes, multi plenum spacers, larger air bleeds, super emulsify the main well and the thing wont scatter shit on the race track. This is why 90% of these engine builders including us have stopped dynoing this way and we have gone to either inertia or sweep rate dynoing. With a sweep rate the servo water valve is opened at a predefined rate. This will show an engine that accelerates faster through the water. An engine that needs more water and covering more rpm over time though the sweep will run faster on the track. I have dynoed with Stuska,/Depac, Super flows and SuperFlow/Depac.They all show pretty much the same thing but when compared all together on the same day there was a noticeable difference in the power band due to how the dynos "controlled" the acceleration rate. On the Depac we always watched the rate of acceleration and on a stander sweep the engine that moved the fastest through the rpm range had a distinct advantage over one that did not. Glidden always said that the engine that pulls the most fuel and needs the most water screwed into it so it would not "run through the water" is the fastest down the track. He could not be more correct.
Very interesting thread this and Nate289's comment made me think, and it had me wondering about something that Darin Morgan mentioned in regards to acceleration and dyno HP numbers not necessarily correlating, but more along the lines of time and RPM..

Is this the same principle/philosophy that this revolution 'acceleration dyno' is based on??
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

paulzig wrote:
Darin Morgan wrote:The differences between Dyno power and on the race track power and tuning are well understood by many engine builders in Pro Stock, Comp or any other class utilizing normally aspirated engines operating at ultra high engine speeds. The dyno will strait out LIE to you. On the dyno with a controlled acceleration rate you can put big carbs, big plenum volumes, multi plenum spacers, larger air bleeds, super emulsify the main well and the thing wont scatter shit on the race track. This is why 90% of these engine builders including us have stopped dynoing this way and we have gone to either inertia or sweep rate dynoing. With a sweep rate the servo water valve is opened at a predefined rate. This will show an engine that accelerates faster through the water. An engine that needs more water and covering more rpm over time though the sweep will run faster on the track. I have dynoed with Stuska,/Depac, Super flows and SuperFlow/Depac.They all show pretty much the same thing but when compared all together on the same day there was a noticeable difference in the power band due to how the dynos "controlled" the acceleration rate. On the Depac we always watched the rate of acceleration and on a stander sweep the engine that moved the fastest through the rpm range had a distinct advantage over one that did not. Glidden always said that the engine that pulls the most fuel and needs the most water screwed into it so it would not "run through the water" is the fastest down the track. He could not be more correct.
Very interesting thread this and Nate289's comment made me think, and it had me wondering about something that Darin Morgan mentioned in regards to acceleration and dyno HP numbers not necessarily correlating, but more along the lines of time and RPM..

Is this the same principle/philosophy that this revolution 'acceleration dyno' is based on??
The Revolution dyno has a fixed amount of weight, the engine has to rotate or "accelerate" this weight, it is not possible to control the acceleration rate. The inertia weight will be brought to a pre-determined rpm and the throttle will be put to the wood, which ever carb gets from A to B the quickest will be the winner. A horsepower number will not be the winner, the quickest ET will, just like the race track.
Rick Cole
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

**Glidden always said that the engine that pulls the most fuel and needs the most water screwed into it so it would not "run through the water" is the fastest down the track. He could not be more correct.**

I know this thread is all over the place...but I would like to comment on the above..I had a depac/stuska manual water brake dyno. Most of the engine I built were in the 400-850HP. And I agree with the above statement....with thousands of pulls with a manual brake you would see the above when you had a good motor on the dyno.

With being manual you can get a “feel” for the motor and the “sweet spot” (and yes i wore out my mule motor making pull after pull to get to the point of making nice clean pulls manually) here is what i seen.. say 4500-8000 sweep load it WOT at 4500 then you slowly close the valve to take water away and gain rpm (Depac Dave always said the slower the better to get good data) then maybe 6200 all of a sudden the motor takes off on you and you have to feed more water back into it to slow the rpm down that is what i call a sweet spot. With the auto control valve you don’t get to “feel” that. That is why I never upgraded to the auto valve.