BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

289nate
Expert
Expert

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by 289nate »

Will there be any way with this dyno to measure which carburetor accelerates the engine through the rpm range the quickest or is acceleration rate set for the pull? The transmission and two step simulation is very cool though it sounds like it won't be set up for it by the time this competition takes place.

Has price been mentioned yet? As a consumer I'd like to know what I'm potentially getting for my money. Listing that in the results would be helpful to someone like myself. If there is a $1,800-2,000 difference between two 4150 based carbs, I'd like to know if that money could be spent elsewhere that would far exceed the hopeful power advantage of the drastically more expensive piece.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Please note though that there are some things that just can't be measured on a dyno like throttle response, ease of throttle control, or (even though I don't like to use this term) overall drivability. This is where the good stuff really shines.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

900HP wrote:Please note though that there are some things that just can't be measured on a dyno like throttle response, ease of throttle control, or (even though I don't like to use this term) overall drivability. This is where the good stuff really shines.
Sounds like you are a circle track, do you race up there? Do you know a guy buy the name of Brady Mcdonnell he race's open wheel modifieds. His brother was killed earlier this year.

devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

I do drag race, street, circle, basically anything that has excessive amounts of power coupled with not enough traction :mrgreen:

I am not familiar with Mr. McDonnell but I'm sure that the guy who runs my 2bbl engine in a super stock (kind of like a limited late model) knows him. If not, I just started working with a modified chassis builder on his house car. I am sorry to hear about the loss, that's never any fun no matter how it happened.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

289nate wrote:Will there be any way with this dyno to measure which carburetor accelerates the engine through the rpm range the quickest or is acceleration rate set for the pull? The transmission and two step simulation is very cool though it sounds like it won't be set up for it by the time this competition takes place.

Has price been mentioned yet? As a consumer I'd like to know what I'm potentially getting for my money. Listing that in the results would be helpful to someone like myself. If there is a $1,800-2,000 difference between two 4150 based carbs, I'd like to know if that money could be spent elsewhere that would far exceed the hopeful power advantage of the drastically more expensive piece.
This dyno measures acceleration rate, it cannot be pre set, it will be just like taking your car to the track and trying different carbs, the quickest from A to B will be the winner.
Rick Cole
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

When StanJ wrote; ' How much should I show ? ' on the previous page, I had to think about that for awhile. My conclusion is that you should bring your ' very best stuff !'

One the very first page of this thread, I mentioned that this Shoot Out was a ' rung what you brung ' event with basicly no rules. I also mentioned that nobody will be inspecting the ' internals ' of your entry if you choose so ! If you feel their are some modifications that are super secret that nobody should see, then fine. So bring your best work whether its a production piece that you sell often or a ' one of a kind ' experimental carburetor.

In another thread I started in ' General Discussion', of Speed Talk, I titled the thread ' Do secrets remain secret ? ' Most of the general consensus was that secrets dont remain secret very long. When you sell your latest carburetor to a customer with all your liitle bag of tricks in it, when that carb is boxed and sent out, you have no idea how many curious eyes will look at it closely. I often hear of shops that ' discreetly ' purchase a competitors carburetor for testing and close inspections of internal and external mods.

Bottom line from me is bring the very best you have to Orlando. Holding back and not competing with your best work could make you regret it later.

Or..............not compete at all !! Dont miss out on the greatest oppertunity that race carb builders will ever have.

Whew ! Nearly 14000 hits on this thread now ! Got to be a Speed Talk record ! SZ
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Steve Zicht wrote:When StanJ wrote; ' How much should I show ? ' on the previous page, I had to think about that for awhile. My conclusion is that you should bring your ' very best stuff !'

One the very first page of this thread, I mentioned that this Shoot Out was a ' rung what you brung ' event with basicly no rules. I also mentioned that nobody will be inspecting the ' internals ' of your entry if you choose so ! If you feel their are some modifications that are super secret that nobody should see, then fine. So bring your best work whether its a production piece that you sell often or a ' one of a kind ' experimental carburetor.

In another thread I started in ' General Discussion', of Speed Talk, I titled the thread ' Do secrets remain secret ? ' Most of the general consensus was that secrets dont remain secret very long. When you sell your latest carburetor to a customer with all your liitle bag of tricks in it, when that carb is boxed and sent out, you have no idea how many curious eyes will look at it closely. I often hear of shops that ' discreetly ' purchase a competitors carburetor for testing and close inspections of internal and external mods.

Bottom line from me is bring the very best you have to Orlando. Holding back and not competing with your best work could make you regret it later.

Or..............not compete at all !! Dont miss out on the greatest oppertunity that race carb builders will ever have.

Whew ! Nearly 14000 hits on this thread now ! Got to be a Speed Talk record ! SZ

Bottom line Steve is this is going to be a lot of fun...

As far as the 14000 hits it's extremely impressive, but I think the EFI vs. Carb thread had like 55,000 hits or so.... So we have a little work to do here :lol:
Doug Schriefer
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Well Doug, we still have some weeks to go ! Dont think well beat 55000 hits. When the Shoot Out is over, I'll have to start a new thread for discussion about the Shoot Out results. So far , only about 10 shops to sign up so far. Dont know if BLP has a cut off date to sign up or will last minute ' walk ins ' be allowed at the start of the event ? Dont know how Mike has this settled yet .

Hhhhhhmmmm, some of the possible competitors I personally spoke to getting cold feet ? I have noticed that a few shops that were chiming in on this thread with an emphatic ' we'll be there!' have not been heard from since. Whats up with this ?

Maybe we need another roll call . Other than the previous list of shops that have signed up already, who else will be there ? SZ
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

I think the contest separates the men from the boys. You have people out there that will talk a big game, but won't show. They know that there stuff isn't as good as they say it, but as long as there isn't a direct comparison(this contest), they can continue to make the claims. This contest has financial implications and some are not willing to risk it.

I applaud all the builders that have the guts to put their reputations on the line and compete in this. Can't wait to see the results.

Anyone care to venture a guess on what the margin of victory will be? My guess it will be within a hp or two.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I think there are smaller carb builders that don't have the finances to travel and stay in Orlando and that's OK, the economy what it is may not be realistic for some. There are a few I am surprised about that either have said they were and haven't sent in the entry, or refused to compete. Either way, I will be bringing the best I have for the time I have available, and other than the intake plate for the Steve Schmidt engine mine will have parts that are available over the counter, some with a few mods of course. And even though I am relatively new at this and don't do it for a living don't count me out, I may have a few tricks of my own... :wink: :mrgreen:
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Because of the similarity to EMC, some people might have
inferred there would be a tear down of the top finishers.
Steve Zicht wrote:When StanJ wrote; ' How much should I show ? ' on the previous page, I had to think about that for awhile. My conclusion is that you should bring your ' very best stuff !'

... this Shoot Out was a ' rung what you brung ' event with basicly no rules.
I also mentioned that nobody will be inspecting the ' internals ' of your entry if you choose so !
If you feel their are some modifications that are super secret that nobody should see, then fine.
So bring your best work whether its a production piece that you sell often or a ' one of a kind ' experimental carburetor.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

As I said before, there will be no inspections or carb tear downs ! Nobody will see anything you dont want them to. Some shops might actualy enjoy showing off some details to others to display some fancy machining and workmanship. The only thing I can think of is a quick external safety inspection by the track steward, David Vizard , to make certain of loose screws or something on an entry that could harm either test motor before its installed.

Hope this clears up a few things for shops that still have not signed up yet. SZ
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Doug Schriefer wrote:...As far as the 14000 hits it's extremely impressive, but I think the EFI vs. Carb thread had like 55,000 hits or so.... So we have a little work to do here :lol:
A quarter the number of hits, but ten times the value! =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

MadBill wrote:
Doug Schriefer wrote:...As far as the 14000 hits it's extremely impressive, but I think the EFI vs. Carb thread had like 55,000 hits or so.... So we have a little work to do here :lol:
A quarter the number of hits, but ten times the value! =D>

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you and I thank you Madd Bill ! LOL ! SZ
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

jmarkaudio wrote:I think there are smaller carb builders that don't have the finances to travel and stay in Orlando and that's OK, the economy what it is may not be realistic for some. There are a few I am surprised about that either have said they were and haven't sent in the entry, or refused to compete. Either way, I will be bringing the best I have for the time I have available, and other than the intake plate for the Steve Schmidt engine mine will have parts that are available over the counter, some with a few mods of course. And even though I am relatively new at this and don't do it for a living don't count me out, I may have a few tricks of my own... :wink: :mrgreen:
Jmark, I was referring to some of the bigger name companies and those that really make a point at pushing there stuff all over the internet acting like its the best thing since sliced bread. If finances is really an issue, they could mail there carbs in like some have elected too. I am sure there will be plenty of people there willing and capable of helping out.

Oh, and I definitely haven't counted you out, I think you have just as good as a shot as anyone. I expect a strong finish from you. I think you will hold your own just fine. 8)
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013