BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by jmarkaudio »

It was a great show on SHRA last night. Anyone that missed it can go to the site Mike listed above and download it or listen to the archive online.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

jmarkaudio wrote:It was a great show on SHRA last night. Anyone that missed it can go to the site Mike listed above and download it or listen to the archive online.

Overall the show was very good. The audio quality wasn't great, not sure if that was the show or just my computer. Very nice to hear civil no whining, no crying no pointing fingers, no bragging... You should have been on there Mark.
Doug Schriefer
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

I agree ! Good show overall. Very glad that Mike pronounced my name right. LOL !! I hope other shops that have not signed up yet to compete in the Shoot Out were tuned in last night. They still have time to get their foot in the door. SZ
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I was busy messing with carbs, I listened after the fact. From what I heard there would have been little time for me to step in anyway, there were a bunch of callers that didn't make air from what I heard. Might need a second show...
Mark Whitener
____

Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

jmarkaudio wrote:I was busy messing with carbs, I listened after the fact. From what I heard there would have been little time for me to step in anyway, there were a bunch of callers that didn't make air from what I heard. Might need a second show...
Your right ! I tried to call in right from the start of the show and could never get through. SZ
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

It looks like the 2.13" big block side pot in the carb shoot out has turned into a class of it's own. The carburetor has to have a cast main body and run boosters. This will be the class to watch for those looking to buy a production carburetor.
therealdynodan

Post by therealdynodan »

Mike Laws wrote:
banjo wrote:Also just curious,

What data will be collected in the course of a pull?
Corrected average accel rate between rpm points will be used to determine winners.

The dyno will be collecting the following data as per usual use:

rpm
e.t.
oil press
oil temp
water temp
fuel press
fuel flow
manifold press
afr per cylinder and per collector
air quality

The software calculates from the collected data:

accel-rate
torque
hp
bsfc
corr factor

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Mike
Mike, I have a question for you regarding Data Quality. What quality measures will be taken to ensure the engine isn't starting to go away as the workhorse gets beat to death? I have sat in front of a dyno for 25 years and start every morning with checks on the equipment and running checks on the engine to ensure the integrity of the dyno and engine before proceeding with anymore testing. If not already in place, I would recommend doing a baseline like this before and after to ensure that the equipment or engine isn't experiencing problems.
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

BLP is providing the base line reference carburetors for this shoot out. The program guidelines state that the test motors will be checked as necessary to insure the validity of this contest. It is also my understanding if the dyno inertia load weight does not change things will remain constant. I think about the only things that would change the results would be having a slight load on the water brake, or a bearing failure. It is not like a absorption brake where the load cell may drift and change results.

Dave
stilhead

Post by stilhead »

If you are in the carb building business, you should give this contest your wholehearted support. With over seventeen thousand hit's on this topic already, surely some of these are potential customers. If you are building carburetors for profit, and you truly believe in your product, enter this contest. Or, lend support some other way. There is no way you are going to lose! Just remember; The EFI guru's are watching!
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

stilhead wrote:If you are in the carb building business, you should give this contest your wholehearted support. With over seventeen thousand hit's on this topic already, surely some of these are potential customers. If you are building carburetors for profit, and you truly believe in your product, enter this contest. Or, lend support some other way. There is no way you are going to lose! Just remember; The EFI guru's are watching!
Hopefully in the future we can have a contest where the EFI systems can run against the carburetors. At least they have some time to work on their stuff so they will be able to compete. I look forward to day when we can run in the same contest.

Dave
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

That would be tough, it would take at least a day for them to hook up their system, and another to get a rough calibration... :mrgreen:
Mark Whitener
____

Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

stilhead wrote:
If you are in the carb building business, you should give this contest your wholehearted support. With over seventeen thousand hit's on this topic already, surely some of these are potential customers. If you are building carburetors for profit, and you truly believe in your product, enter this contest. Or, lend support some other way. There is no way you are going to lose! Just remember; The EFI guru's are watching!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100% ! I cant believe that so many carburetor specialty shops have yet not elected to sign up for this special event that was created especially for them. I was hoiping that a ' major ' sponsor such as an aftermarket parts company would have heard about the Shoot Out by now and could have put up some added sponsprship money for prizes. ( Jegs or Summit ? )

Like I said before months ago, this carburetor challenge can be expanded in to many different types of contests. I do like the idea of a carburetor / EFI challenge ! That should really get the chat flowing back and forth in the Shoot Out thread in Speed Talk.

Has anyone heard if Mike Laws has signed up any more shops since the last list he posted ? Steve Zicht
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

IMO there is a lot more of a chance to come out a looser than a winner.

I say that b/c I envision a dyno chart with most of the runs looking like the same pull for the most part.
and a few stragglers here and there that are all out of tune. time will tell...
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

F1Fever wrote:IMO there is a lot more of a chance to come out a looser than a winner.

I say that b/c I envision a dyno chart with most of the runs looking like the same pull for the most part.
and a few stragglers here and there that are all out of tune. time will tell...
Nobody who enters this contest no mater where they finish will be considered a looser. Some will do better than others, but there will be no loosers among those who compete. This is going to be a great learning experence for everyone who attends. I sincerly feel that this will translate into better motorsports carburetors for the consumers. It is true, there will be loosers. They will be the ones who the most boastful about their carburetor prowess, but fail to compete. The game is over, put your money on the table and turn your cards up. Contest entries close 11/18/11.

Dave
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by Mike Laws »

therealdynodan wrote:Mike, I have a question for you regarding Data Quality. What quality measures will be taken to ensure the engine isn't starting to go away as the workhorse gets beat to death? I have sat in front of a dyno for 25 years and start every morning with checks on the equipment and running checks on the engine to ensure the integrity of the dyno and engine before proceeding with anymore testing. If not already in place, I would recommend doing a baseline like this before and after to ensure that the equipment or engine isn't experiencing problems.
Dave is correct about the dyno; the inertia wheel mass is fixed and repeatability is typically within 0.10%. We (BLP) will provide a baseline carb for each shootout that will remain untouched during the 4-days of competition. The baseline carbs will be installed after every 3rd contestant and/or if a contestant's carb tests extremely low or high. This, along with basic engine diagnostic monitoring, should reveal any issue with the engine before it gets bad. We will also be using a trendline that is based on data from the baseline carbs in order to follow subtle weather changes throughout the day's testing. The trendline will also help alert us to any engine-related issues.

Both Steve and Chad are very confident that their engines will repeat throughout both shootouts as the maximum possible test pulls is well under the recommended maximum time between rebuilds for each engine.
Mike Laws Performance