BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

velotec

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by velotec »

sign in
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by Mike Laws »

Add: Devane Carburetors.
Mike Laws Performance
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

where is TMP....
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

F1Fever wrote:where is TMP....
If you were him, would you be in? There's a few other chicken s--ts out there that know better than to enter also.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Once again, heres the complete list of shops that were contacted. Looks like only one third of this list will attend thus far unless more sign up at the last minute before the Nov 11 cut off date. SZ

De Vane Carburetion
CFM Carburetion
Mark Whitener Carburetion
RayJaye Carburetion ( Au )
Brasswell Carburetion
Quick Fuel Technolgy
C & S Carburetion
JDR Carburetion
Ross Carburetion
Carburetor Shop
A.E.D. Carburetion
Nuytten Carburetion
Baker Carburetion
Holley Manufacturing
Pro Systems
DamBest Carburetion
Competition Carburetion
VDL Carburetion
Da Vinci Carburetion
SMI Carburetion
K & B Carburetion
BRE Carburetion
Blake Carburetion
Smart Carby Carburetion
APD Carburetion
TMP Carburetion
Pink Carburetion
Stealth Carburetion / In
Competition Carburetor Development
Willys Carburetion
Fuel Curve West
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Does it matter how many were contacted?

The better question is how many said YES and did not register to attend?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

I think after this event is held, there are going to be alot of companies kicking themselves for not entering.

Next year this contest will explode once everyone sees the manner in which it will be run and the legitimacy of the event, you are going to have alot of companies fighting to get in. I was thinking that maybe for next year, the top 3 or 5 should be given priority to enter if you are going to continue to limit entries next year. Maybe give the winner free entry to attempt to back up there win. Just a little more incentive for the top performing carbs.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

That's going to be a lot of pounding on those poor test engines. #-o
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Stan Weiss wrote:Does it matter how many were contacted?

The better question is how many said YES and did not register to attend?

Stan

Stan, About 6 shops said right up front that they could not or would not attend. One shop owner I contacted was so rude that every third word that came out of his mouth was colorful enough that it would have made a US Marine blush. Heck , I didnt even get to finish saying what the Shoot Out was about before he returned fire and slamed the phone in my ear. Have absolutely no idea as to what his problem was but I get the general idea that he wasnt interested in attending the contest. LOL !

Another dozen or so shops were very interested in the contest and wanted more information but they were pretty much in the ' yes ' column and were waiting for their entry to be sent to them for their final decision. As far as I know, Mike Laws contacted all of them that wanted to hear more details. As a matter of fact, when I would make my pitch to the carb shops, I would say that several shops have already signed up and would give a couple of names out to establish that the contest was for real.

Personally, I will leave it up to you readers to speculate as to why so many shops were excited at first but were never heard from again to present date. Perhaps the dozen shops that have already signed up to compete are too intimidating to other shops and they feel that they dont stand a chance of finishing in the top eight finalists. Like I said at the very begining of this thread, there could be some real surprises in the end of the Shoot Out with bragging rights for a lucky winner for an entire year !

I realize that a few ST readers have been directing some resentment toward Troy Patterson as to why he has not signed up yet as to he was very verbal at the early stages of this shoot out planning. Folks, you need to consider the fact that he could sign up at the last minute and place very well in the Shoot Out. That should silence the critics. That goes for several shops that have not yet signed up to date.

Again , Im clearly expecting some real surprises at the end. SZ
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

I for one don’t believe there is enough of a power gain in a high dollar carb to justify the cost so I am very interested in the outcome, I may be a new customer in the waiting.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

avengerengines wrote:If you were him, would you be in? There's a few other chicken s--ts out there that know better than to enter also.
If a shop doesn't have enough confidence in themselves to enter this contest, why should I, as a customer, put any faith in them by purchasing their product? [-X
The price of progress is trouble.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

rookie wrote:I for one don’t believe there is enough of a power gain in a high dollar carb to justify the cost so I am very interested in the outcome, I may be a new customer in the waiting.

Rookie, Im certain that there are power gains to be had with customized carbs as to a ' boxed ' product cannot meet the needs of every motor application. What has really surprised me is the fact that many carb shops that spend big money in advertising their products with some serious bucks has yet to enter.

Im pretty certain that most of the entries will be within a few horsepower of each other so even the last place finisher in both contest formats wont be so far off in power numbers that they would be embarrassed to show their faces. It just aint gonna happen unless somebody has a catastrophic mechanical failure on the dyno. ( stuff happens ) What Im looking for is the ' maverick ' carburetor builder that shows up to compete with something really new that exceeds everybody elses entry and shocks everyone !

I get personal messages from guys thinking that Mr. Braswell and a select few are but totally unbeatable. Dave Braswell is still sharp as a razor and is extremely innovative and not afraid to try things with different engineering approaches. Thats the entire idea folks ! Keep searching for more power. Can anybody beat the famous carb guru from Arizona ?

You betcha !!! How would Braswell react to a loss at the Shoot Out ? Hell be back the next year with avengence cause he's no quiter and loves the challenge. Thats what makes Dave a winner and why hes been on top for so long.

Ok, that being said, who is going to send Braswell and a select few other back to the drawing board ? In the end, we all win because the technology continuosly improves and the racers win overall. Like I said, Im clearly expecting some surprises in the end. Now about the shops that still have not signed up for the Shoot Out .......................................................
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

I agree this will be the best advertisement as it is a nationwide word of mouth ad campaign and you can’t ask for any more than that.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

rookie wrote:I agree this will be the best advertisement as it is a nationwide word of mouth ad campaign and you can’t ask for any more than that.

Lets hope that the shops that have not entered the contest yet feel the same way. Its a win win scenario for all the contestants. SZ
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Steve Zicht wrote:
rookie wrote:I agree this will be the best advertisement as it is a nationwide word of mouth ad campaign and you can’t ask for any more than that.

Lets hope that the shops that have not entered the contest yet feel the same way. Its a win win scenario for all the contestants. SZ

it can also be the worst advertisement&could put you out of business! most of these carb builders do one thing only&thats build carbs..some customers may take anything but first place a failure and run right to the winner for a purchase.

i'm in the market for a top dog carb and i've held off because i want to see the outcome of this shootout. i know who i was going to go with, but i'm waiting to see how he does first. his customer service is A1 and if he ends up near the top and the power is close.,he gets my business.