No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Engguy
Guru
Guru
How about a nice drink of H2O?

Post by Engguy »

http://times-news.com/opinion/x58341438 ... ere-before

And we all thought auto parts and pet food was bad. Whats next? I just love the nice bandages from China, hmmm wonder what you get extra with them? :(
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Re: How about a nice drink of H2O?

Post by Barbapapa »

Geez, that's bad. Good journalism though.
I was shocked to find my apple juice was made from Chinese concentrate. But hey, whoever sold the crap had a record 2009!
This mad rush to buy everything from China is disgusting.
Mike S.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

OK, I spent probably 30 minutes today looking up nano-tube TiO that they want to use in water pollution control.

It's used in SUN-BLOCKER cream and if you look hard, it may be a cancer causing substance when you look at tests done ON WHATEVER.

like animals long term........

It's proven that both Chlorine and Fluorine water additives are BAD, but that they are sure thr FU*K cheap! Never mind long term affects b/c us old folks are dying anyway!!

Dammit, remember EVERYBODY that if we can't drink it in a 12 oz glass or eat it like a 16 oz T-bone steak, it's poisonous and is a Hazardous Waste.

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

We live out in the county and get our water from a local MUD. We recently rec'd a notice from them cautioning us that our tap water would henceforth be treated with a different chemical disinfectant that was mandated by the 'Subsidence District'...... And that persons having immune deficiencies or on dialysis should no longer use this water...... And not to use it in fish tanks either, because it will kill the fish unless filters specifically designed to remove chloramines are installed.

This BS is all because of a political power and money grab that began several years ago. The cover story (pretext) is that we must give up our well water and change over to surface water taken from Lake Houston to prevent future subsidence in Harris and Galveston counties. Anyone who has investigated the many illegal direct sewage discharges and chemical dumping into Lake Houston will tell you its one of the most polluted lakes in these parts. So now our tap water will be......

* Scarcer and higher priced (with incremental increases to 3 times what we were paying before going to surface water when all is said and done)......

* Sourced from a highly polluted lake that really doesn't have the capacity to supply present and future water needs for this rapidly expanding area.....

* Treated with a chemical disinfectant that is obviously not as safe as was the disinfectant utilized previously when we were on shared well water supplied by our local MUD......

And for what? Ending subsidence? Not likely.

You see, after being injured on a construction job many years ago, I worked for several municipalities and for Harris County in their engineering departments. Part of what I did involved Flood Plain Management. Every 5 years or so, we would get new maps from FEMA and the revised ground elevations would reflect any subsidence that occurred in the interim. There are 6 or 7 localized areas in Harris County where subsidence is an issue. And in each instance, it is because there are large industrial complexes nearby which utilize their own wells to source process water for use in their plants.

Individual residential water wells and shared wells run by MUDs do not substantially factor into subsidence in our area if you look at it in detail over a long period of time. If the 'Subsidence District' were serious about ending subsidence, they would address the problem at its source (these localized subsidence areas having high usage industrial wells) rather than forcing all residential users onto surface water and tripling our water bills. Five will get you ten the high usage industrial wells will be permitted to continue pumping whilst we homeowners get the shaft (pun intended).

Anyway...... Sorry for the rant. I digress as usual......

* If you go to bottled water for drinking and cooking as have our family...... Your best bet for purity if using relatively inexpensive domestically sourced water in gallon jugs from your local supermarket is to go with distilled water (same price as a gallon of bottled 'drinking water' where we shop). Most of the bottled 'drinking water' you see on your grocer's shelves is merely municipal tap water that has been run through charcoal filters and bottled locally. The 'mountain spring water' is the same filtered municipal tap water with some mineral salts added to improve the taste. That's why we use distilled water instead.

* Regarding canned, bottled or frozen juices...... Most juices and other products such as apple sauce and the like that are labeled 'from concentrate' or reconstituted in some way...... Are from China and other places in that part of the world, as it is cost effective to ship them here and reconstitute them locally. If you want juice that is not from China, check the labels carefully and choose products that are not marked 'from concentrate' or 'reconstituted'. They may be from the US, from Canada or from Mexico or even South America...... But they will at least be from our own hemisphere, as it is not cost effective to ship these products from China and spoilage in transit would be an issue as well.

Best regards,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I just found out yesterday or the day before that EPA is allowing TiO nano tubes to be used to purify our drinking water after all the crap about Fluorine and non-gaseous Chlorine usage.

Dam crap is used in of all things, SUNSCREEN sunburn-blocker lotions and if you read close,if the material isn't so-called, I love it ain't F** "COATED", it may be a carsiogenic(Sp?) material and my daughter lathers our two wonderful GB Girls down w/ the crap!!

pdq67