Policing the "Advanced Engine" section

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Loftfan

Policing the "Advanced Engine" section

Post by Loftfan »

Is there a moderator who polices the Advanced Engine section? I have yet to see any physics or calculations in there, like the description says. Seems like most of the topics could be appropriately placed in the regular engines section.

-Loftfan
SWR
Guru
Guru

Re: Policing the "Advanced Engine" section

Post by SWR »

We do police all forums, but I know - speaking for myself - I sometimes leave stuff that could have been moved, basically it comes down to workload, there's a lot of editing and cleaning-up that happens that you non-moderators never see, basically for all of you to get a better read, and with all due respect, if you haven't seen any advanced material in the Advanced section, you cannot have read all the threads.... Search for posts by users like nitro2, SchmidtMotorWorks, FastFourierTransportation, Darin Morgan et al and you will find mind-boggling amounts of formulas and applied physics on adverse subjects.. :)
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

I'd rather see the general and advanced sections merged back together, and a separate section for the recurrent "what cam do I need for my small block Chevy" threads... and you could move all the "wut U thk best 600hp" chicken-track messages over there, too...
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Amen to dwilliams. Would be a hell of a job to police it though.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Click on the report this post icon and explain if you think a post should be moved.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Loftfan

Post by Loftfan »

I see your point, "Advanced" is relative to your experience level. I'm sure there are some advanced posts, but if you look at my sign-on date, I've been registered for a couple weeks now. In these two weeks, I haven't seen much I would consider "advanced" if "advanced" means calculations and physics derivations. But it is what it is, I know the moderators have a big job.

To this end, is there a way to catalog posts (not threads, but individual posts) that are especially useful for future reference by other members?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

To save a thread, bookmark it/save to your browsers favorites.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I copy/paste useful posts to draft e-mails, then store them in a folder.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Please consider "Greencarcongress" as being SOTA engine and about everything else if you want to keep up with this world wide.

pdq67
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

I move threads from Advanced Tech every time I log into the forum.

At times I'll leave a somewhat basic question in the Advanced Forum which has the potential to turn 'advanced'
unless it's not getting any replies.

Not all questions require physics and formulas to be advanced in my opinion; this of course is subjective and
is relative to the experience level of the reader.

Welcome to the "gray area" ...
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

Maybe the advanced engine section should be renamed "internal combustion mathematics, physics, and theories". That would stop alot of it.
MDHovland

Post by MDHovland »

dwilliams wrote:....chicken-track messages...
Ohhh - thanks for the out-loud laugh! Now I have a name for those (godd-awful) texts my son sends me... can I use this material?!?

mdh
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Not all questions require physics and formulas to be advanced in my opinion; this of course is subjective and
is relative to the experience level of the reader.

I agree, not everything is in need of a calculation. The advanced forum is not only more complex with the topic depth but with the nomenclature used too. Understanding processes (example combustion & making power) or designs of a particular part will become pretty heavy if you squeeze out every possible bit of thoerectical thought, factual info etc.

I don't think there needs to be a added forum for simple application part selection advice. Engine tech is good enough IMO for the lighter engine subjects. I think this forum is great the way it is. I thank Don for starting this web forum I know that is for sure =D>

I also do what Bill does as well.
I copy/paste useful posts to draft e-mails, then store them in a folder.
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Loftfan wrote:I see your point, "Advanced" is relative to your experience level. I'm sure there are some advanced posts, but if you look at my sign-on date, I've been registered for a couple weeks now. In these two weeks, I haven't seen much I would consider "advanced" if "advanced" means calculations and physics derivations. But it is what it is, I know the moderators have a big job.

To this end, is there a way to catalog posts (not threads, but individual posts) that are especially useful for future reference by other members?
A large portion of the interesting topics have been covered in the past. Also as Madbill has said - it is not wise to do math in public - (or something to that effect).