Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

This sites search engine

Post by Bos's5.0 »

Why is the search engine on this site the biggest POS i've ever come across? I am a member on many other sites and have NO problems finding what I want, but this site has the absolute worst search engine EVER.

I'm not gonna learn the intricacies of what must be the first search engine ever devised. I hope whatever upgrade is coming will get rid of this pile of crap.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Do this...

Go to google.

Type in your search for example

rod bearing clearance search site:speedtalk.com

the common denominator is search site:speedtalk.com

This works for any web forum out there...

A trick for the search on this site is to use "AND" with your search terms to only return results with all of your terms contained in the topic.

A search for rod AND bearing AND clearance will only return results that contain all those terms, not every single post that has any of them.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

The upgrade is in the works...
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: This sites search engine

Post by enigma57 »

Bjørn, I am researching isolated runner intakes, as I will be constructing one in the near future. So I attempted to do a search just now using 'IR'...... No go. So I tried 'IR intake' and this is the result......
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: intake ir.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

PLEASE put the forum back the way it was......

* I can't find things in 'Search' now.

* There is no contrast and the forum is very hard to read now.

* The E-mail contact function seems to be missing or well hidden now.

* I have been logged on now for only a short time...... Am getting a headache from straining to read with the new format. Actually, the contrast is so bad and the letters are now so small that I am going to bold this message and preview it...... Not for emphasis...... I'm bolding it because I need to in order to read back over it to check for typos before posting.

:shock: I give up. Am logging off now. Will check back in a few days to see if anything has improved. This new format is simply awful compared to the way the forum was before. Please see if you can talk whomever is making these changes into putting things back the way they were.

Best regards,

Harry
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Hang in there Harry,

I've just updated the software and have some kinks to work out. The forum software I'm using is by far the most popular on the Internet. Give it a chance, I think you'll like the new features.

Don
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks, Don. I guess these things take a while to sort out. I'll check back in later and see how things are coming along. If there is anything you can do to restore contrast so it isn't so hard on the eyes, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Harry
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Ok, I'm trying new settings. It's rebuilding the search index now, which takes hours. So, search will not work right until then.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

The search no longer gives zero results. You really need to use the advance search option to get good results.
search.php

Or as stated, use google with the site:speedtalk.com in the search box.
Example: site:speedtalk.com cylinder heads
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 6c6a3f8304
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin