Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Frozen Great Britain Picture

Post by 1989TransAm »

Hows that global warming thing working out for you folks in Great Britain?

Here is the link to the picture. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8447023.stm
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

...and one more link saying that England is as cold as the South Pole.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0c4nqvYRB
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Not exactly hot a tad more to the northeast on the map... I'm looking at -22ºF now... Some 200 miles north of me we saw -45.4ºF on a sunny day, last week. Global warming? Yes, please.
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Bjørn, we are located just NW of Houston, Texas. It is 18 degrees Fahrenheit here at present. I've had to break a couple inches of ice out of the top of our outside Rotti's waterbowl the past several days so he can get a drink. Probably won't see temps above freezing until late this afternoon. Low of 20 degrees forecast here for tomorrow.

'Global warming', Mr. Gore? Around here...... Not so much!

Brrr......

Harry
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Nice and sunny with temps in the 70's here in SoCal. Nice to be West of the Rockies and South. Then again they tax the heck out of us.
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

I'm in Central Florida, about 80 miles north of Tampa.
We've had low 20's F every morning for a week.
This morning there was snow!
(it had collected against the frames of my pool screen cage!)

I'm no stranger to snow, spent some winters in Chicago and Milwaukee,
just unusual for this locale.

Carter
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

enigma57 wrote:Bjørn, we are located just NW of Houston, Texas. It is 18 degrees Fahrenheit here at present. I've had to break a couple inches of ice out of the top of our outside Rotti's waterbowl the past several days so he can get a drink. Probably won't see temps above freezing until late this afternoon. Low of 20 degrees forecast here for tomorrow.

'Global warming', Mr. Gore? Around here...... Not so much!

Brrr......

Harry
Harry, I'd trade our current -24ºF against 18ºF any day... but I guess at that latitude 18ºF is horrendously cold. :)
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D I suppose its all in what you are used to, Bjørn. This is our coldest period of 8 consecutive days at these temperatures in memory. I am getting more acclimated to it, though. Just came in from taking my wife out for dinner and it didn't really seem all that cold even though we really don't have a lot of heavy winter clothing as do folks who live farther North.

Currently, we have clear skies, 25 degrees and falling. 22 degrees forecast as our low. Average low here is 45 deg. for this time of year and previous record low for this date was 30 degrees in 2001 to give some perspective to it.

I have stacked the ice next to the fence. This is the ice I break out of the outside waterbowls for our Rotti and for the feral cats who stay outside. I still have 8 pieces (one for each day since 2 January) that have not thawed sitting next to our fence over the past week. Weather man says we have at least one more day of similar freezing weather here and then a warming to the 40s by Wednesday accompanied by rain from mid-week through Friday. I am beginning to like this clear and cold weather we are experiencing much more than rainy weather in the 40s.

Best regards,

Harry
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

So all the global warming nuts like to make us all believe how bad warming is. So everyone thats in the cold now, which do you prefer, warm or ice cold? I'd say warming is a good thing, the whole planet should be at 65 degrees in every location, or a bit warmer, all year round except maybe up in the high mountains. Nothing likes the cold, steel gets brittle, people and most all animals don't like it either. I say we need more Co2 emissions and all that other supposed bad stuff that is really good. :D
DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

The sky is falling!
maxc

Post by maxc »

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

I see B20Paul is still drinking the cool-aid.
Stef
Expert
Expert

Re: Frozen Great Britain Picture

Post by Stef »

1989TransAm wrote:Hows that global warming thing working out for you folks in Great Britain?
Great! I quite like a bit of snow :)
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Re: Frozen Great Britain Picture

Post by F1Fever »

B20Paul wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:Hows that global warming thing working out for you folks in Great Britain?
All the good climate models predict that Northern Europe will become colder & eventually be like Canada is now, this is the primary reason why they are so proactive.

Colder in Florida than Alaska and Greenland

The cold wave is being driven by an unusual sharp and persistent kink in the jet stream that is being blocked from moving by a strong ridge of high pressure over Greenland.

The sharp kink in the jet stream has brought record warm temperatures to a few stations in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest this week, making much of coastal Alaska warmer than Florida. Cold Bay, Alaska, set a record high yesterday of 47°F, after recording a low temperature of 30°F. This made Cold Bay warmer than Pensacola, Florida, which had a high of 47°F and a low of 24°F. In fact, most of Florida--including Jacksonville, Tampa, Melbourne, and Tallahassee--recorded lows at or below the 27°F low recorded in Anchorage, Alaska yesterday. The jet stream kink has also brought temperatures more than 30°F above average to Greenland.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=1409
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary