Professional attitude

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

How about this one. If this BMW 7 Series owner was absolutely on the ball, he would have complained: "SINSYOU changed my parking light bulb, my engine won't shut off unless the lights happen to be on."

After over $5,000 of head-scratching, that's what was wrong! An incorrect replacement bulb acted as a 'sneak circuit' and continued to feed power when the key was off, unless the parking lights were on! #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be leaving the caps all loose from now on also, going to be getting bright green tags that state the company policy on timing, and that the lash is set to the buckets in their current place.

Funny stories!
I think my boss has even ran into the wrong bulb in a BMW before!!!
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

I figure "the customer is right", only until they become a PITA.

Decent customers will listen, and try to understand.

Some are just looking for someone to yell at. They need to keep looking.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

Love those customers who come to you - and respect you as the expert, as opposed to those who want to tell you how to do your business - while they work in a completely different (non-automotive) field altogether.

In my early days, I had lots of customers who thought they knew more than we did, but by the time I opened my own shop for whatever reason, those know it all customers stopped coming to me.

Here in California, we have another layer of bureaucracy most people in most states doesn't have to deal with. It's called the Bureau of Auto Repair or BAR. Unfortunately, it provides opportunity for unscrupulous types to exploit the public trough. Here in Los Angeles, I suspect some BAR employees are guilty of racketeering and unfair business practices on behalf of certain businesses.

I was targeted to be put out of business under false accusation while others did and still openly violate the law. Can't tell me these BAR guys aren't on the take. Even though, the BAR is a branch of the California Department of Consumer Affairs, it still has been corrupted. As a side note, when the corrupted BAR employees came to force me out of business, there was two other carburetor shops which closed up in my area in less than a one year period - and not for a lack of business.

Say, did California outlaw carburetor repair and building???? These corrupt BAR employees, the City Attorney's Office and corrupt Judges seem to think so.

Dan Miller should tell us about it, I'm sure he's seen his share.

I've seen plenty of customers who would lie in an effort to get more out of you or free work. After a while, you can tell who they are because they all tend to say exactly the same thing, in the same way. Of course, there are always new tricks, new tactics and games you've never seen or experienced before.

When I was in my father's carb shop I rebuilt a progressive two barrel carb. A fuel shut off solenoid and the secondary vacuum diaphragm was shot so the secondaries wouldn't open. After the rebuild, the car had more power and ran better all the way around. A week or so later, the customer came back with a bad attitude because we screwed up and didn't know what we were doing because his car had less power. Ya, bit my tongue. So, with kid gloves, a pacifier and bib for the customer, we went for a test drive. The original clutch (with 170,000 miles on it) slipped badly resulting in the lack of acceleration. Of course, this wasn't an issue a week earlier.

Okay, everything was fine, the customer came to his senses and all was forgiven. A few years and many dealings with him later, here we are again. Another customer went so far as to file a complaint with the BAR against. He eventually wrote a letter of apology - which we forwarded to the BAR. Good thing we weren't in corrupted LA or we might have been forced out of business.

There is a saying that goes twenty percent of your customers cause you eighty percent of your problems. So true.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
Last edited by Troy Patterson on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

I have a customer that keeps having trouble with the tensioner on a Quad-Four that keeps failing. I suspect that it's because he's using the tensioner from earlier (up to '97) on a later engine. But he keeps using the wrong tensioner "because it's easier to install"........

He's on his third set of valves.

Funny thing, the last time he brought the head in, one exhaust valve (on the end) was bent ON THE SPRING END and the guide was broken off flush with the head. I suspect the engine was dropped upon re-installation. He never even noticed.

The last time I installed new valves, I took fair amount of aluminum shavings that was present in the rotators and in the valve area of the head. His customer said to put it together without pulling the pan.

They deserve each other.

The mechanic in question has always been an arrogant PIA. I'd like to tell him to take a hike, but he's supposedly a good customer of the parts store.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

I've been in business thirty years at this location, I've dealt with alot of dishonest customers, Years ago I sold a new Delco battery to a guy who I l later learned installed it into a demolition derby car, ran a couple of heats and then was indignent when I wouldn't warranty the broken battery.
Or the farmer who needs a certain filter or spark plug right now!, buys it from me cause I'm the only one that stocks what they need locally, then tries to return the part a week later because he "dont need it" when really he used my part to get out of a jam then went to Wall Mart and bought the same part for $1 less and thinks he can return the WM part to me for credit. I run them guys out the door permanantly.
I must admit, I turned into a real hard a$$ once my business was all paid off. Having no debt is very liberating. Customers are seldom right, but I do treat my long time loyal customers with first class service.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

While we are on the subject of silly things that happen in bussiness the light bulb reminded me of a local farmer near me.
Comes by the shop one day to get an idea of what this "new" GM 383 he's heard about would cost for his motor home.
After an hr he says he's got a seasoned 010 block in the barn from a camaro he had as kid in the sixties.

Couple days later he comes by with the block so I stick it in the jet wash then drop it in the hot tank and get back to it in a day or so later.

After pullin in out and washing it off I discover the rear frost plug holes are missing as is the parts of the block where they would be installed.
Its junk so I call and he says I am pullin a fast one so I tell him to come by and see for himself.
He had marked the block before he dropped it off so there was no mistake.

Turns out it sat on the ground in an old well used chicken barnfor 25yrs or so but thought the 2ft of old crap would not hurt the casting :oops:
He got a new block but took the other one away cause he thought someone could fix it ](*,)
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

ProPower engines wrote: He got a new block but took the other one away cause he thought someone could fix it ](*,)
Just wait until he brings that block back, all "fixed up". :shock:
:roll: :wink:
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

I had one customer that buried his block in his back yard for a year or so. He had supposedly read some where that was a good way to season a block. He called and wanted a price on machine work. When I found out what he had done I laughed at him and told him that the price would depend on how much rust I had to chisel out. Never saw him. He was a real squirrely guy. I figured he couldn't remember where he buried it.

Had another one that tried to deck his block with a side grinder. Never did find out how many grinder disk or beers it took to make such a mess.

Had a shop call wanting to buy some rod caps for a 3.8 buick. Seems they had lost theirs.
When we told them that they couldn't do that and would have to replace the rods the guy said he already had the rods and pistons in the block and also had the heads on and didn't want to pull them back off.

Are we having fun yet? :lol:
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

Just remembered this one. Troy you'll appreciate this one.

A guy brought his 750 Holley HP in. Said it wouldn't get any fuel out of the squirter. Seems he had striped the threads and just filled the hole up with epoxy and then put the screw and shooter back in. When I asked him why he had done that he said he didn't want it falling in the carb.
Rick1999
Expert
Expert
Post by Rick1999 »

Had a customer bring in an ill running Holley 750, I took the bowls off with HIM WATCHING, and there was water in the bowls, I explained that water isn't a very good fuel choice and he told me "it's impossible for that to be water, my fuel cell is brand new" stormed out of the shop and hasn't come back since. Oh yeah, the infeild of the local circle track where he bought his fuel had water to the top of the retaining walls after several weeks of very heavy rain.
wagon train

Post by wagon train »

2.2=8 wrote:
mtkawboy wrote:Ive done a valve job and had then come back and say I caused a U-joint to go bad. It wasnt like that when they bought the car in is what they said. Sadly at a dealership if they scream loud enough you replace the U-joint. Of course they will make it up to you on another job. RIGHT!!!!!!!
We call them "SINSYOU" customers, as in "ever 'since you' replaced my spark plugs my brakes squeek"
That is why I am no longer a mechanic. I now only work on close friends and familys cars. 20 yrs. of bs has rubbed me the wrong way. If a person asks me for advice, then wants to start telling me how it should be done. I just turn around and walk away.
While wagontrain does build all his own shit in his dirty garage, he does not claim to be an expert engine builder even though his shit always stays together and runs pretty fast for being just a dumb white kid.
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

It goes without saying that the Automotive repair industry can sometimes / more often than not, be very unkind.

I have a myriad of stories to tell, like all you guys.

Keep them comin'. It can somehow make "us" feel good to know that each of us, is not alone.

Just for a light hearted kick. The latest one i got, was - we supplied and fitted 4 tyres to a 4wd vehicle about 2 weeks ago. The woman that owned the vehicle drove in yesterday with a bucket load of attitude, and yelled at me saying " i just had these tyres fitted, and now one of them is FLAT! Little did she know, that she had run over a large screw causing her tyre to go flat. I'm surprised she did'nt say she must have picked it up on our premises.

We just won the state "Small business award" for 2009.

We pride ourselves on doing good work and informing our customers as best we can.

All i can say is. I'm glad tomorrow is our last day for 2 weeks. I was really starting to get tired. :roll: :x :shock: :lol: :( :D
Merry Xmas...........
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

I had a friend that worked for a Ford dealership back in the 60s. A women brought her new 1966 mustang in and complained that all of the Mustang emblems on her hubcaps were installed upside down. He took a floor jack and jacked up one of the ft. wheels and started spinning the tire while looking at her and asking "OK lady where do you want them?"
xanadu
Pro
Pro

Post by xanadu »

:shock:
:lol: :lol:

Now that IS a good one.